lambros or richard black

MANPUSS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i know nothing about these cues but some buddies both have a few of each .
i can get a deal on 1 of each , between them what would be the better cue ??

i know lambros are hard to come by and they are pretty much the same with inlays etc which i dont really care for . but if price is right so they say .

pick one lol . and tell me why:thumbup:

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, if the seller is close enough, you want to go hit some balls.

I have two Richard made for me, but they have different joints so they play totally different. I gravitate towards the stainless steel joint over the ivory, but I play about the same with both, given an adjustment period.

Nothing takes the place of feeling the cue, the balance, the wood shaft sliding through your fingers, the tactile sensation of making contact with the cue ball.

Hit some shots. You’ll know.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Personally I think it's a toss up. They are both desirable, well respected, with Richard Black maybe being more in the prominent/legendary status and Lambros being rarer.

If they both play great, I would say it boils down to the design you love. You have to look at it all the time and it won't look better to you tomorrow than it does today. I've always liked Black's classic designs.

Why don't you post some pictures?

Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Compare the specs of the two cues. Make sure to get that info.
Then you have a basis of choosing one that is best suited for you.
In general, Richard Black is the better of the two cue-makers...IMO.

MANPUSS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Personally I think it's a toss up. They are both desirable, well respected, with Richard Black maybe being more in the prominent/legendary status and Lambros being rarer.

If they both play great, I would say it boils down to the design you love. You have to look at it all the time and it won't look better to you tomorrow than it does today. I've always liked Black's classic designs.

Why don't you post some pictures?

i will when i get chance , buddy who collects some cues lives bout 2 hours from me think i will have him send me some pics .

my gut says go black . my bud hes kinda a weirdo he doesnt do social media and only has a old beat up flip phone for emergencies only . he has alot of valuable pool stuff and dont want it online . but i can see what i can do .lol

wanna make sure its older black . i read where in 2018 he turned cue making over to someone who has helped him for last 5 years . he only works on cues 5,000 and up now .

Last edited:
i know nothing about these cues but some buddies both have a few of each .
i can get a deal on 1 of each , between them what would be the better cue ??

i know lambros are hard to come by and they are pretty much the same with inlays etc which i dont really care for . but if price is right so they say .

pick one lol . and tell me why:thumbup:

Wow, that would be a really hard choice for me. They are both in my dream cues category.

As much as I would love to have a Richard Black, I think I would chose to get the Lambros.

I am just crazy about the style of Lambros cues, with his super long points, and his unique Ultra joint that he created, and patented. That joint just looks awesome, and I always imagined his cues hit amazing. Never had the opportunity to play with one though.

If you like a more classic looking Bushka style cue, then I am sure you would find that in a Richard Black. Always loved the look of his cues too.

Last edited:

BillYards

Playing Style: Wu Tang Fu
Silver Member
i will when i get chance , buddy who collects some cues lives bout 2 hours from me think i will have him send me some pics .

my gut says go black . my bud hes kinda a weirdo he doesnt do social media and only has a old beat up flip phone for emergencies only . he has alot of valuable pool stuff and dont want it online . but i can see what i can do .lol

wanna make sure its older black . i read where in 2018 he turned cue making over to someone who has helped him for last 5 years . he only works on cues 5,000 and up now .

Richard is certainly NOT a “weirdo”, but is a busy master artist and craftsman that does not have desire or time to post much on social media. He does have Facebook pages and follows what is posted on those. He may read AZ, if someone tells him about a particular post that he might want to read. He has an iphone, not flip phone. He is still turning out cues. I have owned many fantastic RB cues, starting in 1990 and highly recommend them. The response and cueball control are amazing.

Among other warnings when buying a used cue is that you measure the shaft diameters. So many used cues are showing up with seemingly like-new shafts - only because they have been sanded down. I guess you could also get a new shaft from Richard, if you like the butt enough.

Last edited:

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never had a Black, had several Lambros. The drawback with Lambros is the proprietary joint. You can only use his shafts and that can take quite a while to actually get your hands on one, from my experience. I've had his cues with the older 3/8-10 flat face, and the new "lambros" joint. I actually thought the 3/8-10 played better.

Last edited:

rjb1168

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
They are both Great cuemakers and I have hit balls with a new Black bushka
15 years ago, it played nice and felt great. I have owned 6 Lambros cues and
still have 4 of them they also play great. I favor the hit of Lambros over the Black
and it might just be the ultra joint that makes the hit feel better. You can't go wrong
with either but I would suggest driving 2 hr's to hit some balls with each. You will
know for sure after that! Good Luck.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If playing is the main goal go with the one that plays best. If resell value in the next ten years is the goal I would think the Bnack would be the one to increase in value the fastest.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
for your playing cue it is all about the one that hits and feels best for you no matter who made it. even if its a 20 dollar cue. simple as that.

for resale or future profits the black will be king on that.

MANPUSS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Richard is certainly NOT a “weirdo”, but is a busy master artist and craftsman that does not have desire or time to post much on social media. He does have Facebook pages and follows what is posted on those. He may read AZ, if someone tells him about a particular post that he might want to read. He has an iphone, not flip phone. He is still turning out cues. I have owned many fantastic RB cues, starting in 1990 and highly recommend them. The response and cueball control are amazing.

Among other warnings when buying a used cue is that you measure the shaft diameters. So many used cues are showing up with seemingly like-new shafts - only because they have been sanded down. I guess you could also get a new shaft from Richard, if you like the butt enough.

no you misunderstood , i said my bud is a weirdo . i have never spoken to Mr Black . if you read my post again it might be little clearer . and my bud uses a old flip phone , i think its a jitterbug .

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess you could also get a new shaft from Richard, if you like the butt enough.

I have known Richard since 1978 when I first had him make a cue for me and have talked to him numerous times since then from all over the world. I had him make me a second cue in 1981 when I lived in the Philippines.

I spoke with Richard about getting a shaft sometime last year.

He told me that he doesn't touch anything that is less than $5,000. His helper (for lack of a better word) does the stuff under $5000. He said the shaft would be the same as if HE made it. I'm not even sure Richard sees the stuff the other person makes.