CNC machine

kgoods

Consistently Inconsistent
Has anyone used a 6040 cnc machine from ebay?

I've had a 6090 4 axis CNCEST for about a year. I went with the 6090 because I wanted to do both inlays and tapers with it.

They seem to be hit and miss as far as QC goes and how much work it takes to get them running well. Electronics are pretty much crap but some have got them to work ok. I didn't have much luck and pretty much completely rebuilt the control box but it was well worth it.

Mechanically mine is pretty solid and accurate so I got lucky there. The only issue I have left to address is to replace the extruded aluminum table. It flexes way too much in the center due to being only supported at the ends (downfall of all gantry machines) and being over 41" between ends. But I ordered a solid aluminum plate a couple weeks ago and it's supposed to be delivered on Wednesday so hopefully I'll be able to swap it out next weekend. A 6040 may not be as bad in this regard since it only spans about 28".

Be prepared to spend some time getting it up and running well. Mine came with no support, documentation, nor software. I was pretty much on my own to track down drivers, control software, and settings for the VFD. I still don't have a manual for the VFD and I don't think one exists but thankfully a few guys over at the CNCZone forum figured it out and were kind enough to share.

If you decide to go that route I'd be happy to share what I know, just be aware it's not going to be a turnkey machine.

If I had it all to do over again I'd probably just try to find a decent frame and do the electronics myself, either that or build one completely from scratch, I'd probably be into it for a little less cash. But all in all, for the price they are not a bad deal. You can't touch a turnkey professional machine for less than three times the price.

I believe JC has the 6040 version of the same machine, seems to be working well for him, maybe he'll chime in.

Hope this helps.

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
I have and use a 3040 ... same machine just a smaller bed.
Use it for Pen inlays, small cue inlays, and engraving my logo onto a finished cue.

It is accurate and isnt very hard to make a fixture to hold a cue for inlays.
The bed could be extended to accommodate a 4th axis if you can find the right material.

Is there something specific you need to know about them?

Attachments

• 3040.jpg
    3040.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 494

money8ball

Registered
Thank you for the info. been watching some you tube videos, still debating on buying one ive never operated a cnc or the mach 3 software.

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
Thank you for the info. been watching some you tube videos, still debating on buying one ive never operated a cnc or the mach 3 software.

We all start out somewhere. I know just enough to put an eye out but I'll pass along a little of my learning curve.
Pick ONE cad program and learn it thoroughly before trying to blast your brain with any others. Being pretty much self taught with a little outside help I've spent hours and hours of brain banging hours at this. If you want to do any design you need this knowledge. If you just want to copy what everyone else is doing you won't. Someone I'm sure will pass along the code for your dots, diamonds and inlaid points.
Learn the G and M codes thoroughly and know what it means when it is telling your machine to make a specific move. You don't need to know them all just the ones that are most commonly used.
Be prepared to not only be a designer and producer but also a trouble shooting machine repair person because no matter what you have or end up buying you will have to do some tweaking here and there to get things dialed in. And then just when you think you have it all figured out, here comes curve ball number 129 that will put you to your knees in the batter's box!
For me, it was only easy after I already learned it. I'm not good in a classroom setting. But I also have a full time job of producing cues the same time I was learning all of this. It was basically like having two jobs.
I am also fortunate to have a couple friends that were able to push me over some humps I encountered. Information on the internet is abundant and all very helping. Just be prepared for frustration and jubilation because you will no doubt encounter both on your path to success.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
I have and use a 3040 ... same machine just a smaller bed.
Use it for Pen inlays, small cue inlays, and engraving my logo onto a finished cue.

It is accurate and isnt very hard to make a fixture to hold a cue for inlays.
The bed could be extended to accommodate a 4th axis if you can find the right material.

Is there something specific you need to know about them?

I have a 3020 from Ebay......... I run Bobcad and Mach3........... bought an older Dell desktop with a parallel port................. I have been running the hell out of it for 5 years without a fault or problem what so ever

Kim

Newsheriffintwn

Newsheriff Custom Cues
Silver Member
Has anyone used a 6040 cnc machine from ebay?

I have 2 one 3 axis I bought 3 years ago and a 4 axis about 6 months ago.

I would suggest a easy starter program like cut2d which will allow you to create your designs and save them into g code to be used on the cnc. I run Mach3 on both my machines and it has served me well so far.

You will need to make a jig to inlay a full cue unless you prefer to inlay before assembly. Both ways have benefits and draw backs, you would need to figure out the right way for you.I'll attach a picture of the jig I made to do a full cue.

No matter what brand of cnc you choose there will be a lot of learning, trial and error involved. One thing I will suggest is to get a machine that has ball screws as well as a water cooled spindle. The noise difference is astounding between air cooled and water cooled. Do your research before you buy, it will save you a lot of hassle in the long run.

If you have any questions shoot me a PM.
QwKqDF4.jpg

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
i had a 3020 before yrs back , takes some time to get going even for people with experience in cnc, but run fine when dialed in
im looking to get a 4th axis one in the near future

my biggest pet peeve that i didnt get ironed out was after each power down the work locations never saved, id have to re origin it each use which was annoying but fine for running parts out of a plate.
guess i needed more knowledge with mach3 to do so

4th axis stuff ill have to get that cleared up

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
They're mostly junk you need to fix .
See them being dumped at the recycler or craigs all the time .

Now, if Mario/MC2 starts making machines again....