Watching mr. 400 trying to break the record

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MAre you thick? The only one 'disgracing' anyone is you, with John being the victim.

It is shooting balls into holes.
Willie has documented 526 and John wants more. Full stop.

Not sure why you keep getting all insulted about Willie's run being surpassed (and by many accounts, more than 526 has been run on tougher equipment).

526 is awesome. 400 is awesome.
More than either would be awesome.

Is that too complex for you to grasp?

For the record, I DO NOT CARE how many balls JS runs, if he runs 527+ Congrats to him, never had an issue with that. I only try to correct what i sometimes see as incorrect assumptions or statements made on this site. As for MY ability to grasp complex items? Well I try not to get personal on this site with my comments - you seem to have no problem doing that- because getting personal should be settled IN PERSON- at least where I come from- I don't hide behind a pen.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the record, I DO NOT CARE how many balls JS runs, if he runs 527+ Congrats to him, never had an issue with that. I only try to correct what i sometimes see as incorrect assumptions or statements made on this site. As for MY ability to grasp complex items? Well I try not to get personal on this site with my comments - you seem to have no problem doing that- because getting personal should be settled IN PERSON- at least where I come from- I don't hide behind a pen.
Perhaps the forum isn't a good fit for you?

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
NO, not related at all, I was a young kid in the late 50s and early 60s growing up just outside NYC- tough Italian neighborhood where there was great pride in the legends of Dimaggio, Marciano, and Mosconi - tremendous pride that these 3 were the very best at their sport! I played ball, boxed, and played a lot of pool- all three from a very early age. There was great pride in our neighborhood, and I want to keep Mosconi's name from being disgraced on this site, as I see from time to time that people just either forget, or really never knew what these great sports figure had to go through to be the champions they were, does ANYBODY on this site who really knows this game think that Mosconi could NOT have run way, way more than 526 if that was his goal- of course he could, the guy was just trying to make a living for his family- records like this had no meaning other than helping to support his family- if instead of Brunswick paying him for traveling exhibitions, they had offered him $10,000 to run a 1000 balls, he would have done that too! NO doubt in my mind.

Everything you say might be true about the number of balls that Mosconi "could" have run had he set up conditions like John. But he did't. It's as simple as that. So the only record that John needs to break is 526, which after seeing his attempt thus far, is NO easy feat.

Look, if John happens to beat 526, I think that not that many people are going to claim that John is a better straight pool player than Mosconi just because of him beating the record. So I would relax if I were you and just let John do his thing.

_______

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MAre you thick? The only one 'disgracing' anyone is you, with John being the victim.

It is shooting balls into holes.
Willie has documented 526 and John wants more. Full stop.

Not sure why you keep getting all insulted about Willie's run being surpassed (and by many accounts, more than 526 has been run on tougher equipment).

526 is awesome. 400 is awesome.
More than either would be awesome.

Is that too complex for you to grasp?
It is truly bizarre how a small subset of posters here seems to think trying to run a lot of balls represents an assault on Willie Mosconi's character and legacy.

TheRanger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sure let's erase ALL of history before 1970 and just MOVE ON with the world- Let's void the U.S. constitution while we are at it too! Isn't that what the liberals in our universities are teaching today? Some of you guys really make me laugh - thank God I can find humor in these statements!

thats a well measured and considered response :rolleyes:

it is a fact that conditions, and therefore the record itself, are incomparable. do with that information what you will, it doesn't change anything.

If anything, considering a new approach (establishing a modern era timeline) would protect mosconi's record in its own era that could never be argued with. If John, or anyone else for that matter beats 526, the record is gone for good. I don't think that would be particularly fair or reflect history in the terms it should.

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While John is amazing 14-1 player and I root for him I dont think he will break the record. I even told John about his weakness a year ago - fitness level. He has to improve it a lot to actually stand a real chance of beating the record, his body and mind just dont have enough stamina to break 500 border in my opinion. I really wish for John to succeed but unless he drops 10kg of body fat he wont get there. In my eyes the real contender for breaking the record IF he decides to give it a try is Joshua Filler. His fundamentals are flawless (unlike Johns) and he is super fit. And what is very important - he is very young so his body can recover MUCH faster than that of John which would raise the chance of super high runs on many days in succession. And he is quick learner so his knowledge base grows FAST..

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is truly bizarre how a small subset of posters here seems to think trying to run a lot of balls represents an assault on Willie Mosconi's character and legacy.

Assault on his character and legacy, lol.

Lou Figueroa
must have
missed that

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While John is amazing 14-1 player and I root for him I dont think he will break the record. I even told John about his weakness a year ago - fitness level. He has to improve it a lot to actually stand a real chance of beating the record, his body and mind just dont have enough stamina to break 500 border in my opinion. I really wish for John to succeed but unless he drops 10kg of body fat he wont get there. In my eyes the real contender for breaking the record IF he decides to give it a try is Joshua Filler. His fundamentals are flawless (unlike Johns) and he is super fit. And what is very important - he is very young so his body can recover MUCH faster than that of John which would raise the chance of super high runs on many days in succession. And he is quick learner so his knowledge base grows FAST..

oh, I don't know.

He keeps at it long enough eventually everything has to fall into place. It's kind of like the Infinite Monkey Theorem -- you let one whack away at a keyboard long enough he'll eventually crank out a line of Shakespeare.

Lou Figueroa

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
oh, I don't know.

He keeps at it long enough eventually everything has to fall into place. It's kind of like the Infinite Monkey Theorem -- you let one whack away at a keyboard long enough he'll eventually crank out a line of Shakespeare.

Lou Figueroa

"It was the best of times, it was THE BLURST OF TIMES?! You stupid monkey!"

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
oh, I don't know.

Lou Figueroa

Or maybe eventually not, the more tired John is the less chance of hiting the homerun he has. But still...he has that chance as long as he is trying and like I said I root for John ;)

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Sure let's erase ALL of history before 1970 and just MOVE ON with the world- Let's void the U.S. constitution while we are at it too! Isn't that what the liberals in our universities are teaching today? Some of you guys really make me laugh - thank God I can find humor in these statements!

And get off your lawn, too, right? :p

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
On the flip side, we have the posters who still don't appreciate Mosconi's achievement or John's effort. If the record was easy to break, John wouldn't be the only one attempting.

John is in beast mode. If this was set in a tournament, most of his failed runs would easily be 150 and out.

Last edited:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Grady Mathews says in his book "Bet High and Kiss Low" that Mosconi demanded waxed balls and 5 inch pockets at his exhibitions. What about that... do you think Grady was lying in his book?
Furthermore, Grady says that when he himself gave a clinic or exhibition, part of his deal was that if he didn't run a hundred balls at the exhibition, there was no charge to the proprietor. What about that....do you think Grady was lying there too?
(Just an inquiry...not wanting trouble from you since you grew up in a 'rough Italian neighborhood' and can probably beat up everybody.)

OK this is exactly why I defend Mosconi- to debunk these myths- truth is as a youngster, I was at several of his exhibitions in the early 60s and my Dad had close friends who were room owners where he did exhibitions- there was NO special WAX at that time being applied to pool balls for Mosconi- what crap! Also, no tables were specially rigged for pocket size prior to Mosconi's exhibitions, another B.S. myth. the only thing he did not do was perform exhibitions on super tight "house" tables that were usually near the counter in only some rooms, which made perfect sense, as it was an exhibition. Grady Matthews is on record for making several negative comments about Mosconi- you can listen to him on some of his 14.1 US Open commentary where he "informs" people that Mosconi "claimed the world title in years where there was no world tournament. Grady also suggests in some of his commentary that Harold Worst was better than Mosconi, and that Mosconi had no gamble in him at all- I don't know Grady's issue with Mosconi, but he clearly seemed to have one from his own words that i have heard.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On the flip side, we have the posters who still don't appreciate Mosconi's achievement or John's effort. If the record was easy to break, John wouldn't be the only one attempting.

John is in beast mode. If this was set in a tournament, most of his failed runs would easily be 150 and out.
Really? I don't see many people out there saying Mosconi's decades-old record of 526 is not impressive.

By contrast, there are many posters disparaging Schmidt's attempt and saying no run he could manufacture could ever compare to Mosconi.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John's attempt is a pretty big deal. I've watched this since the beginning on March 20th on Bull Shooter's FB page. At one point there were almost 100 folks viewing with the average about 55. The stream shows constantly how many are viewing at that moment. I'll be one of those watching today!