Zero-X Training

CMB1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi John,

I tried your weaker eye aiming tactic and it worked! and I found that even with straight shots, I need to aim with my left eye. I am surprise that something as important as this hasn't been emphasised in any of the training videos I saw.

Thanks for sharing!
Regards
Chee

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi John,

I tried your weaker eye aiming tactic and it worked! and I found that even with straight shots, I need to aim with my left eye. I am surprise that something as important as this hasn't been emphasised in any of the training videos I saw.

Thanks for sharing!
Regards
Chee

Its not an aiming tactic, its a fact. See the below. Figure 14.4 to be specific.
http://neuroscience.uth.tmc.edu/s2/chapter14.html

Your post in bold.
I don't know either, most say the eyes lead and the body follows. The eyes need to see the truth. If you don't believe that do the dominant eye test. It will become very apparent to you that their is a parallax error in our vision due to the separation of our eyes.

Happy to hear that I was able to help you out.

Straight in shots only:
The weaker eye sets the body on straight in shots and then let the strongest eye lead you down onto the shot line.

On shots being cut to the right the strongest eye sets the position for the body in the standing position. On shots to the left the weaker eye sets the body in the standing position.

Once the body is SET let the strongest eye leads you down onto the shot line.

Takes practice, stay with it.

Have fun and thanks again.

John

Last edited:

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
The "ball pocketing drill" is different than the "stroke drill". In the Ball pocketing drill you are shooting an object ball into a pocket. You set up a series of slightly varying shots with specific position objectives. You set up a shot with small incremental variables then shoot the ball in with an around the clock then down the middle series of strokes to learn to shoot the shot with all types of spin. You move to a slightly different location then repeat it all again and so forth. There are a LOT of different set ups and it requires thousands of hits. I did it for a few thousand shots. It is a good exercise but as Tor says you can set up your own shots and do them as well. I got tired of shooting hundreds of very short shots and needed to mix it up a little. I had to jump ahead in the series and do some half table and back cut shots. It was taking months to get to them sequentially. I do think they are great drills but I found I needed to move around vs. following the sequence. The purpose of the "Ball Pocketing Drill" is to develop "Automatic Aiming". Others call it "intuition", being able to shoot any shot without having to "think" about it. You just intuitively know how to shoot the shot vs. using an aiming system with adjustments.

For me the real advantage to drills vs. play is the repetition. If you learn by playing you only run into a shot occasionally. If you miss it you don't figure out why. The next time you have the same shot you are likely to try to make it the same way you did the time before and miss it again.

Just read this again. Sorry for my confusion. But shooting 2,000 balls into the pockets, pretending they are all cue balls, is a pocketing drill to me. :)

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi John,

I tried your weaker eye aiming tactic and it worked! Chee

Is someone saying here that you should practice shooting, aiming, pocketing balls, etc, with nothing but your weak eye? Does that mean you should use a patch over your strong eye and practice with just the weak eye?

r/DCP

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Your post in bold.
I don't know either, most say the eyes see and the body follows. The eyes need to see the truth. If you don't believe that do the dominant eye test. It will become very apparent to you that their is a parallax error in our vision due to the separation of our eyes.

Straight in shots only:
The weaker eye sets the body is on straight in shots and then let the strongest eye lead you down onto the shot line.

On shots being cut to the right the strongest eye sets the position for the body in the standing position. On shots to the left the weaker eye sets the body in the standing position.

Once the body is SET let the strongest eye lead you down onto the shot line.

John

Is someone saying here that you should practice shooting, aiming, pocketing balls, etc, with nothing but your weak eye? Does that mean you should use a patch over your strong eye and practice with just the weak eye?

r/DCP

read the bolded part above 100 times
write it in a notebook 100 times
memorize it and say it out loud 100 times
you will have your answer

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its not an aiming tactic, its a fact. See the below. Figure 14.4 to be specific.
http://neuroscience.uth.tmc.edu/s2/chapter14.html

Your post in bold.
I don't know either, most say the eyes lead and the body follows. The eyes need to see the truth. If you don't believe that do the dominant eye test. It will become very apparent to you that their is a parallax error in our vision due to the separation of our eyes.

Straight in shots only:
The weaker eye sets the body on straight in shots and then let the strongest eye lead you down onto the shot line.

Once the body is SET let the strongest eye leads you down onto the shot line.

John

read the bolded part above 100 times
write it in a notebook 100 times
memorize it and say it out loud 100 times
you will have your answer

Yes...yes...yes.

I read this when John first posted it, but never got a chance to try it because I had been away from the table. Finally got to try it today.

This is by far the best piece of advice I have ever read on these forums.

Thank you John!

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes...yes...yes.

I read this when John first posted it, but never got a chance to try it because I had been away from the table. Finally got to try it today.

This is by far the best piece of advice I have ever read on these forums.

Thank you John!

WOW! Thank you. :)

Just trying to help. The game is a lot of fun but can be frustrating to those who are having issues and don't know why.

Today I will be working on cross dominance. I am right handed and right eye dominant.
I do play left handed when needed but have never given it much of a thought.
With the help of my iphone I'll be able to video how I place my standing body and how I come down onto the shot line. Should be interesting.
I'm working with another AZB member that is cross dominant, between him and I we should be able to put something in writing that will help those players that are cross dominant.

Stay tuned and have fun. I do realize that this is the Instructors forum. If you would like this topic moved to another forum please let me know. You all have been a big help to myself and to others I'm sure. Thank you.

John

Last edited:

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just read this again. Sorry for my confusion. But shooting 2,000 balls into the pockets, pretending they are all cue balls, is a pocketing drill to me. :)

Perhaps but the subject was specifically about the ball pocketing drill of Tor Lowry and that is distinct and separate from his stroke drill. There is no similarity. I get that the stroke drill was where he started and the most well known. My comment was only that the thread was on a different topic than the original post. Regardless of what you may consider the stroke drill, that was not what the original post was asking about.

No offense was intended to anyone and no argument, I was simply trying to steer the conversation back to the original question which had not ever been addressed. All of the posts were about the stroke drill and he was not asking about that. He was asking if automatic aiming kicked in at level 4 of the ball pocketing drill. There are no levels in the stroke drill. One is to improve the stroke and one is to improve the aim.

The idea that a person could set up a series of shots and repeat them to the point that they could then pocket balls "effortlessly" is appealing. It is also elusive.

Posts subjects always drift. We are now on eye dominance. I just wanted to give the original poster some comments on his subject.

No harm no foul no argument. Your comments are of value and important. I hope I did not insult you in some way. That was not my intent and I would not do that. Thanks.

Last edited:

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perhaps but the subject was specifically about the ball pocketing drill of Tor Lowry and that is distinct and separate from his stroke drill. There is no similarity. I get that the stroke drill was where he started and the most well known. My comment was only that the thread was on a different topic than the original post. Regardless of what you may consider the stroke drill, that was not what the original post was asking about.

No offense was intended to anyone and no argument, I was simply trying to steer the conversation back to the original question which had not ever been addressed. All of the posts were about the stroke drill and he was not asking about that. He was asking if automatic aiming kicked in at level 4 of the ball pocketing drill. There are no levels in the stroke drill. One is to improve the stroke and one is to improve the aim.

The idea that a person could set up a series of shots and repeat them to the point that they could then pocket balls "effortlessly" is appealing. It is also elusive.

Posts subjects always drift. We are now on eye dominance. I just wanted to give the original poster some comments on his subject.

No harm no foul no argument. Your comments are of value and important. I hope I did not insult you in some way. That was not my intent and I would not do that. Thanks.

My apologies to the OP.

Back to the OP's post.

When first starting to play, you set up shots, pick a contact point (or whatever) and shoot the QB toward that point and watch the OB go into the pocket with little attention being paid to the QB path.

Their comes a time when your attention changes to the QB's path and not if the OB went into the pocket. If you select a contact point on an OB and if that contact point sends the OB where you want it then the challenge becomes playing the QB off of that contact point. Which after some time will tell you what speed and spin the QB must have on it to send it to where you want it to go. This does become an automatic process with little to no conscious thought.

The contact point on the OB becomes a moot point.

The Zero-X pocketing drill is great for letting the student get a feel for speed and accuracy of the QB. As to what level you have to go to, I don't know. You may see it at level four or what ever level it takes to get you there.

It is a lot of fun and very educational.

John

CMB1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Guys,
I like to ask a strange question - What drills and training can one do if one has no access to a pool table?
I am a sailor, I rotate 6 weeks on and 6 weeks off. When I am at sea, I don't play at all for 6 weeks. But when I am on land, I train everyday. So what should I do while I am at sea to keep my pool practices up? Any exercises/drills that I should do to keep the body and mind in pool shape?

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Practice your pre-shot routine from the standing position down into the shooting position.

If it was me I would cut out 2 round disc's the same size as pool balls, draw a centered line thru each, place a on flat surface (with the lines in line with each other) separated by at least 2 feet or more. One of the disc's would be the QB, the other the OB.

Practice seeing both lines lined up from the standing position down into the shooting position. Take a couple of warm up strokes and then shoot at the OB disc paying attention that your cue is going straight inline with the OB line.

Maybe do this 50 times a day (or 50 times two times a day) taking your time and not rushing.

When you do get back to shore I think you will find that your exercises have paid off.

That's all I can think of hope it works out for you.

Your ship mates are going to think your crazy. :)

Have fun sailor.

John

CMB1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, I can do this on the mess's tables. Thanks for all your advices John!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi Guys,
I like to ask a strange question - What drills and training can one do if one has no access to a pool table?
I am a sailor, I rotate 6 weeks on and 6 weeks off. When I am at sea, I don't play at all for 6 weeks. But when I am on land, I train everyday. So what should I do while I am at sea to keep my pool practices up? Any exercises/drills that I should do to keep the body and mind in pool shape?
Believe it or not, a computer game might help you. I recommend Virtual Pool in "tracking" mode. It shows you where all the balls will go on the shot if you shoot with the speed and spin you have selected. It doesn't help with your physical training, but I found it really helped with my patterns. One thing it can show you, because the simulation is very close to reality as far as the physics goes, is how to do a shot with the least amount of force.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If possible, watch matches. If you don't have access to the internet, you can bring a bunch of dvds with you. I'm not sure how much you can do on the physical end, but watching matches can be very helpful to your game. It's something everyone should be doing.

CMB1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Fran and Bob! I just downloaded Virtual Pool 4 and yes it's pretty realistic. And I will download some more matches to watch.