8 on the break

Shotcy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This topic had probably been done to death but I can't seem to find to much on it. 8 on the break. I know it involves hitting the second ball in the rack first but can you ever get good enough at it to make it feasible? Do you normally break head on but will decide to try an 8 break due to gaps in the rack or a slight angle in the rack? I don't run out very often so I'm wondering if I should be trying 8 breaks? I'm horrible at them tho I like to break using the table as a bridge and the ball pretty far back, don't think you do this for 8 breaks. Sorry for the lack of paragraphs :p.

Shannon.spronk

Anybody read this?
Silver Member
So when if I were attempting to make the 8 on the break I would be breaking from the side rail right at the second diamond. I would aim at the second ball just missing the head ball. I would draw the cue ball into the side rail so that it hits the side rail and goes back into the stack hopefully knocking the 8 ball int the side.

All that said I think you are much better off attempting to work on your patterns and ball pocketing. Those two things will help you alot more in the long run.

Shotcy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've herd of that being the goal but 9/10 times the 8 goes in the side pocket off the break without cue contact. Just tends to get tossed in the opposite side you broke from, side pocket direction. I guess that will happen anyway so may as well try to get the cue ball to go back into the center of what's left of the rack and smack it for an extra push. i don't care for the 8 break but I know some people that seem to get it a lot. Like they know something and not sharing it lol. It defiantly pays off for them and their running ability is great too.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always do the second ball break... out of like 7 breaks. I usually make the 8 in the side. If it misses there. It tries again in the upper corner. One night I even made 2 8 balls in a row. I like up 2 inches from the side rail... and go straight at the 2nd ball.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
To score the 8-ball, I hit the second ball full like I'm cutting it to the corner, medium speed, a tip below center with a dash of outside english. Even a pro gets that 8-ball once in 35 tries so I avoid risky second-ball breaks like this one.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand that in today's climate the 8 on the break is not a win anymore.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
This isn't a hard a fast rule for 8-ball. You will need to check with your opponent, or the league rules. Not everyone has adopted WPA 8-ball rules. Off the top of my head, making the 8-ball is a win under APA rules, and optional win in VNEA.

I understand that in today's climate the 8 on the break is not a win anymore.

Last edited:

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This isn't a hard a fast rule for 8-ball. You will need to check with your opponent, or the league rules. Not everyone has adopted WPA 8-ball rules. Off the top of my head, making the 8-ball is a win under APA rules, and optional win in VNEA.

In my personal experience I've been told it's not a win in casual play. I don't play leagues and don't play 8 ball if I can avoid it and haven't since 1973. I've played it a few times just to be able to play anything at all but don't care for it.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Win or spot or rerack, it's not a bad thing to know. You never know when some hall or bar has a cash prize to be earned.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is a crock of BS that ANYONE can make the 8 on the break as a called shot. As mentioned earlier, the 8ball break is, at best, even for a pro, is a 3% probability shot. That means that under the best conditions it MIGHT be made 3 out of 100 breaks. Now everyone knows someone who "made the 8 3x in a row", but that doesn't hold water in the long run. Also, for most competitive play (other than APA) the 8 on the break is not a win...it's a rerack or spot the 8 and keep shooting. If you can find someone who claims they can make the 8 on demand, I'd like to come see them, and bet per break...AS MUCH AS YOU WANT!

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Last edited:

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:D

I love the eight on the break. A few years ago, I made the eightball twice in ten tries in a National event.

In the league I play in, the eight on the break is a win. I do it more than most people.

Yeah cry babies don't like it but it's the rules. Some people are just more lucky than others.

Me, I practice my luck.

LOL...no I don't check the rack. But I will adjust my break depending on who is racking and depends on how the balls are breaking on that day.

:p

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a guy I was in college with back in 2007 or so, tell me he saw a guy make the 8 pm the break 8 times in a row. I still laugh when I think about it.

cajunfats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
8 on the Break Cash Prize

Win or spot or rerack, it's not a bad thing to know. You never know when some hall or bar has a cash prize to be earned.
I just instituted this at a small local bar during our Thursday Night Tournaments. Of course, it is called "Straight 8" here in our corner of Cajun Country.

I donated my 2nd Place money the last two weeks to do an 8 on the break contest as an incentive to get going. Each Player adds one dollar to their entry fee, and if someone makes the 8 on the break during the tournament, they will win. It's a fun thing to do. Hopefully, it will attract more players/customers.

cajunfats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
8 on the Break Gods

It is a crock of BS that ANYONE can make the 8 on the break as a called shot. As mentioned earlier, the 8ball break is, at best, even for a pro, is a 3% probability shot. That means that under the best conditions it MIGHT be made 3 out of 100 breaks. Now everyone knows someone who "made the 8 3x in a row", but that doesn't hold water in the long run. Also, for most competitive play (other than APA) the 8 on the break is not a win...it's a rerack or spot the 8 and keep shooting. If you can find someone who claims they can make the 8 on demand, I'd like to come see them, and bet per break...AS MUCH AS YOU WANT!

Scott Lee
Scott, you have heard every story imaginable on the pool table. This is just another of those whoppers that are Urban Legend. You know no one is going to take that bet.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know Carl! I've been lookin' for 'em for 40 years...haven't found 'em yet...but
I'll keep lookin', they gotta be out there somewhere! LOL :thumbup:

Scott Lee

Scott, you have heard every story imaginable on the pool table. This is just another of those whoppers that are Urban Legend. You know no one is going to take that bet.

Robert58

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
One of the old tricks is when your opponent is racking crocked. Break from the side the rack is swung too. You have more of the second ball to hit.

And yes I have made it more than once, in one night, playing in a bar.

JohnnyP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...Now everyone knows someone who "made the 8 3x in a row", but that doesn't hold water in the long run....

Scott Lee

Scott: I was a sailor in the late 60's, aboard a ship home ported in Norfolk. I played in the bars on the strip outside the D&S Piers during the week, and at St. Elmo's downtown on the weekend. Yes, I paid for lessons at St. Elmo's. :embarrassed2:

One night I did make the 8 three times in a row. It was on a bar table on the strip, with the big cue ball. Second ball break with inside to go two rails and hit the rack again from behind.

Shotcy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks everyone for the responses. I'm mostly asking because I do play a lot of league. When gambling, or a person whom I'm not familiar with I always do ask. My good friend gets them a lot it seems but doesn't always try them. He's gotten two in a row but I'm sure that's not really a story on here. Never herd of 3 tho as mentioned earlier, thats bananas.

I'm gonna go do the thing I should always do when I have a pool question and check out Dr.Dave's link/website, but its always nice to hear personal experiences.