tip hardness chart.

nympfisher

SEMI AMATURE
Silver Member
i remember seeing a chart someone made with tip hardness spec's . i downloaded it but cant seem to find it again, was about 2 years ago. antone remember this ? i tried search with different key words but no luck yet.

thanks , carl

jschelin99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I searched the internet last year and scribbled down every tip hardness I could find, then compiled this Tip Hardness Chart.

Attachments

• Tip Hardness Chart.pdf
    81.2 KB · Views: 4,145

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a kamui black super soft that is pretty freaking hard. Oh well.

I've tried all the Kamuis, hard to super soft, brown and black, old and newer versions. The blacks perform a little better than the browns, but the blacks require maintenance about every 15 racks of 9 ball.

The super soft hits like a hard until you work on it. I've miscued just rolling the cue ball on a short shot with no english. I don't mind the tip mushrooming, but I'd like to find a tip that I don't have to think about in the middle of a package.

Best,
Mike

OneIron

On the snap, Vinny!
Silver Member
I've tried all the Kamuis, hard to super soft, brown and black, old and newer versions. The blacks perform a little better than the browns, but the blacks require maintenance about every 15 racks of 9 ball.

The super soft hits like a hard until you work on it. I've miscued just rolling the cue ball on a short shot with no english. I don't mind the tip mushrooming, but I'd like to find a tip that I don't have to think about in the middle of a package.

Best,
Mike

I haven't seen those issues with the blacks. Almost no mushrooming and killer english. You sure you're not getting knockoffs? The new one's have a hologram on top. I've installed 7-8 and am getting great feedback. I agree that the super soft is much closer to a medium. :cool:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A word of warning about this.... One of the lathemen who goes to tournaments and fixes cues while you wait -- Guido Orlandi -- told me that he measured the hardness of a lot of tips when he bought them and then sorted them into bins. The measured hardnesses did not correspond well to the labelled hardnesses. YMMV.

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
A word of warning about this.... One of the lathemen who goes to tournaments and fixes cues while you wait -- Guido Orlandi -- told me that he measured the hardness of a lot of tips when he bought them and then sorted them into bins. The measured hardnesses did not correspond well to the labelled hardnesses. YMMV.

I'm no expert.. to say the least, but my limited experience is that there are some exceptions that I have noted to the conclusions I see in both the lists in this thread. One instance would be that Super Pro's play about as hard as the Talisman Pro xh, but are not shown as being anywhere near that hard in the chart shown.

That said, the chart's are probably going to give a good general idea from which to proceed in your decision making process. I sure changed out a lot of tips until I discovered my current favorite by accident. I bought a Sugar Tree cue and it had a Super Pro tip with which I fell in love. (Of course I also love the cue!!) :groucho:

whitewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks for the advice, but I don't see how you can measure hardness :confused:

mikefeiman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the advice, but I don't see how you can measure hardness :confused:

You can measure hardness using a durometer. We used a Shore A durometer with 2.2kg of pressure across all the tips we tested. The problem though was that with some brands there was a fairly wide variance. Also, the hardness rating is going to vary from tester to tester depending on how much pressure you use and the type of durometer you use.

Tiger measured all of their tips and all of them measured in the 90s (according to their website), but ours came out differently. It is likely that they used more pressure than we did. For example, they have a durometer hardness rating on the Everest tip at 95, but ours averaged out to 75.7.

http://www.tigerproducts.com/store/home.php?cat=108

Also, as for our measurements, please keep in mind that they shouldn't be taken as gospel, as none of us here at PoolDawg are scientists and based on the variance we saw from tip to tip, you'd need to take a much larger sample size than we did to get a more accurate rating.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
from pool dawg web site

Elk Master 10-14mm 66.8
Kamui Black (Super Soft) 14mm 67.5
Da Vinci (Soft) 14mm 68.7
5280 Red Line (Tiger) 14mm 69.2
Kamui Black (Soft) 14mm 72.3
Moori (Soft) 14mm 72.8
Da Vinci (Medium) 14mm 73.6
Hirano (Soft) 14mm 75.2
Moori (Medium) 14mm 75.5
Tiger Everest 14mm 75.7
Tiger Emerald 14mm 76.0
Tiger Onyx 14mm 76.4
Tiger Laminated (Soft)14mm 76.7
Tiger Sniper 14mm 77.8
Kamui II (Soft)14mm 78.1
Tiger Laminated (Medium) 14mm 78.2
Elite 11 Layer 14mm 78.3
Kamui Black (Medium) 14mm 78.7
Moori V 14mm 79.3
Talisman Pro (Soft) 14mm 79.6
Great White 14mm 79.6
Tiger Dynamite 14mm 80.8
Tiger Laminated (Hard) 14mm 81.7
Da Vinci (Hard) 14mm 81.9
Talisman Water Buffalo (Medium) 14mm 82.0
Kamui II (Medium Soft) 14mm 82.2
Talisman Water Buffalo (Hard)
14mm 83.2
Kamui II (Medium)14mm 83.4
Talisman Pro (Medium) 14mm 83.5
Moori (Hard) 14mm 84.4
Talisman Pro (Hard) 14mm 84.4
mmike
Hirano (Medium) 14mm 84.8
Kamui Black (Hard) 14mm 84.8
WB Water Buffalo 13-14mm 88.2
Talisman Pro (Extra Hard)14mm 88.7
Hirano (Hard) 14mm 90.6
Triangle 12-14mm 91.0
Triumph 14mm 92.0
Kamui II (Hard) 14mm 92.2
Samsara Jump Break 14mm 95.5
Le Pro 88.2

zombie93

Registered

Best,
Mike

Tiger Onyx!:thumbup: