Who knows The American Cueist magazine?

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do we have any forum members "in the know" about THE AMERICAN CUEIST magazine that superseded what was known as the Texas Billiard News?

I know that TBN started in March, 1987 which became The American Cueist with their inaugural issue in Dec, 1992. I have all issues but one (missing FEB, 1996) up through all of 1999 but cannot find any more information on how long it actually ran.

If anyone has more to share on these two publications (perhaps has all of the TBN) or pics to share or any leads, I would be oh so grateful.

Perhaps there is a FEB, 1996 copy out there looking for a new home as well. PM or post anything here of course.

Thanks everyone!

K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rockin' Robin

Mr. Texas Express
Silver Member
I have probably the largest billiard magazine collection in the world. I was getting bulk issues for many years. Mostly Pool and Billiard and Billiard Digest. I wrote many articles for the Texas Billiard News and the American Cueist.

But before getting your hopes up, most are boxed up in a mountainous pile right close to many more piles of billiard paraphernalia that has been accumulating for decades.

At first glance, I failed to see any TBNs or ACs that would be easily accessible. This weekend I will try to get a closer look and see if I have any extras.

Wish me luck.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I consider it to be a sign of considerable fortune, Rockin' Robin, to have met your acquaintance, sir! Of all the luck....

Perhaps you can fire off a PM to me about some of the articles you have penned for The American Cueist and I will lounge by the pool with a fine Texas Bourbon and relive a little billiard history through your writings :)

And if you need any help by the way going through your mountainous billiard (anything) I'm surely not more than a few hours away. Not many things more enjoyable than kids on a treasure hunt I say!

K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I received their magazine for about two years and saved every copy. Someone on this site offered good money for these periodicals so I went to dig them up. My wife had pitched them without my knowledge.:mad:

Last edited:

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see the September, 2002 issue on my bookshelf; not sure if that was the last one.

Ah hah! We have some evidence of publication past the 1999's I have.

Would you be able to share a pic of it? Thanks!

K

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
America Cueist

I believe I have every issue - but they are in boxes. I wouldn't be interested in selling unless I have extra copies. I keep thinking someone will fund a library/Museam for all older billiard publications.

Mark Griffin

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I believe I have every issue - but they are in boxes. I wouldn't be interested in selling unless I have extra copies. I keep thinking someone will fund a library/Museam for all older billiard publications.

Mark Griffin

There could be an online billiard magazine archive which would enable full magazines to be uploaded to the site by just scanning them in. It would be a ton of work but you could have every issue from all billiard magazines there, not sure how the magazines would feel about it but I am sure there is a good deal of interest there. Maybe each company could do it themselves and probably charge an admission to access the archives and read all the past issues. I might not be a company man but I am an idea man. :cool:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ah hah! We have some evidence of publication past the 1999's I have.

Would you be able to share a pic of it? Thanks!

K

I'll just describe it a bit. The cover is a picture of the front of "Billy Weir's Sky High Billiards" in Fort Worth, TX. The Editor/Publisher is Jeff Swan, and his "Letter From The Editor" certainly gives no indication of the magazine ceasing publication. The issue contains articles or stories by Tom Simpson, Dean Shane Cassem, Chef Anton, Christina Piona, Emily Elizabeth, Steve Crutchfield, Bob Watson, Anne Craig, and Carlo. 36 pages plus covers.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There could be an online billiard magazine archive which would enable full magazines to be uploaded to the site by just scanning them in. It would be a ton of work but you could have every issue from all billiard magazines there, not sure how the magazines would feel about it but I am sure there is a good deal of interest there. Maybe each company could do it themselves and probably charge an admission to access the archives and read all the past issues. I might not be a company man but I am an idea man. :cool:

There are copyright issues with that. I've been told that some advertisers don't want their old copy displayed. I have a hard time seeing why not.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are copyright issues with that. I've been told that some advertisers don't want their old copy displayed. I have a hard time seeing why not.

I agree, Bob.

There are many times over the last few years alone that I've looked through old issues and saw something that caught my eye and was actually able to not only contact the seller or creator, but set up purchases because of those old ads or articles.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member

Mark Griffin

Trying to Mark. Trying hard. Even sent out a nice letter to our industry leaders looking for support *ahem*

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The LD shaft manufacturers don't want to have all those old claims they made coming back to bite them;)

Last edited:

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member

I agree Bob but they could do it themselves and probably make some decent money charging an access cost per issue or all you can read passes. They can send me royalties when they do it. :thumbup:

Rockin' Robin

Mr. Texas Express
Silver Member
BINGO!!!!!!!!!......I have a dozen or so stacks of boxes about 5 feet high against a back wall in my man cave. After moving a couple of tons of billiard crap, I completely lucked out.....and found that I had put all the American Cueist mags in the first couple of rows. Found wanted issue about half way down the second row.

Send address and I should get it out by Monday.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BINGO!!!!!!!!!......I have a dozen or so stacks of boxes about 5 feet high against a back wall in my man cave. After moving a couple of tons of billiard crap, I completely lucked out.....and found that I had put all the American Cueist mags in the first couple of rows. Found wanted issue about half way down the second row.

Send address and I should get it out by Monday.

Pm on the way!

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, guys, for getting closer to knowing the ending publication date. I'm on the hunt.

And if anyone wants to pass along those American Cueist issues starting Jan 2000 forward, know there is a great home here with me :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk