2018 BCA HOF: Davenport and Hofstatter

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The selections for this year's Hall of Fame induction have been announced. Kim Davenport and Gerda Hofstatter (now Hofstatter Gregerson) were selected. I think both are very deserving of the honor. The induction ceremony will be in October in Norfolk, Virginia at the Sheraton Waterside. I think there will also be a pool tournament there you might want to take in. :wink:

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I feel that Kim Davenport would have been selected years ago if his career wasn't cut short by an accident. He was a great player.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I feel that Kim Davenport would have been selected years ago if his career wasn't cut short by an accident. He was a great player.

For whatever reason that these players didnt get in before, they’re in now. Two of my very favorite players, and I’m uber happy.

Freddie <~~~ celebrating

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I’ve never spoke to Gerda but great news for a deserving player.....:bow-down:

And I’m extra pleased for California Kim....we got along just fine...probably he liked me
‘cause I played pool and golf for a few bucks.

I just recalled a scene with Kim years ago....he has to play Mike Sigel in a late round...
....so he tells Mike he’d really appreciate a quiet match...let’s just play pool.

:eek: ..well, after a while of Mike explaining that nobody was going to tell him how to act
in a pool match, he was sure sorry he brought it up...:rotflmao1:

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great news. I am usually one of the responders to threads asking why Kim was not in the HoF. I am glad to see him receive this well-deserved recognition.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The selections for this year's Hall of Fame induction have been announced. Kim Davenport and Gerda Hofstatter (now Hofstatter Gregerson) were selected. I think both are very deserving of the honor. The induction ceremony will be in October in Norfolk, Virginia at the Sheraton Waterside. I think there will also be a pool tournament there you might want to take in. :wink:
I've known Gerda and Allison for over 20 years, since they first came here for an exhibition at our poolroom in 1997, fresh off of Gerda having won her WPBA Nationals 9-Ball Title. Both are awesome. Over the years they've been here many times for exhibitions and sometimes just to practice. They both supported us by competing in the field when we hosted the Women's NC 9-Ball Open here for a number of years in the early 2000's. Because of their participation, many other highly ranked WPBA players came and played as well, making it a stellar field every year.

Interesting story - Allison had been undefeated here in our room for years, in all her tournament appearances as well as all her exhibition matches against other pro players held here. One scheduled exhibition visit when they both came up, after spending the afternoon playing challenge matches against our customers, that night they played a serious race to eleven 9-ball exhibition match in front of a large crowd. Gerda was on her game and trounced Allison pretty good - around 11-5. Allison was none too pleased as she'd never been beaten here, and pleaded with me privately to play another set. I told her that wouldn't be fair to Gerda as we had scheduled to only play one long set, and that there would be other days. I think Gerda appreciated my decision, that she didn't have to beat Allison again - a tall order indeed!

Congratulations to Gerda for this awesome lifetime achievement of being inducted in to the BCA Hall of Fame!

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

They both got my vote!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Both very deserving. Gerda's a close friend of mine with whom I frequently practiced in the the years in which she lived in New York (approx 2000-05). Kim was a very fine player and a super-tough competitor and a super-sharp dresser who presented himself in a way that reflected very positively on pool.

Congrats to both!

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Both good choices!-I have only strongly disagreed with them once in the last 10 years.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wish there was a way to sweep them all in with one vote:

Mary
Mataya
Reid
McCready
Lisciotti
Wade
Bugs
Fusco
Louie
David Howard
Fred, that's quite a list. Of those, Wade Crane sticks out the most for me. He was considered one of the very top / most feared 9-ball players in the world in his prime - very close to Buddy Hall stature. Add to that, his instructional contributions to the game for years in Pool & Billiards Magazine, makes his selection long overdue and a no-brainer!

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I wish there was a way to sweep them all in with one vote:

Mary
Mataya
Reid
McCready
Lisciotti
Wade
Bugs
Fusco
Louie
David Howard

By far the best tournament record from this group would be "Little" David Howard's with the monster break. The most legendary player is definitely Keith! I would add that my descending order of pool celebrity would be Keith, Louie and Bugs. My descending order as great players would be David, Fusco, Lisciotti, Wade Crane, Jimmy Reid and Jimmy Mataya.

The most feared player by his peers was Keith again, and Bugs for Bank Pool. Crane had a few years as perhaps the best 9-Ball money player and Jimmy Reid likewise in Ten Ball. Fusco and Lisciotti were the two best all around players in this group, playing all games well (plus Jimmy played high level Banks). Louie was the most entertaining and had the most gamble of all the above, not needing to make a good game to get in action. For Louie, any game was better than no game!

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

+1

Kimmer deserves this big time.. no one stayed down on a shot like Kim...
recently watched an old match of him coming back from 4-10 against Johnny to win 11-10.

Last edited:

bustinbob_99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just watched a replay of a semi-final match where Kim had to come from behind (9-2) in a race to 11. Kim won 11-10. What a champion!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Niels Feijen is one of the best players of all time, with countless titles, world championships in multiple disciplines, and a generally superb record the world over. Hard to figure why he wasn't voted in.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Niels Feijen is one of the best players of all time, with countless titles, world championships in multiple disciplines, and a generally superb record the world over. Hard to figure why he wasn't voted in.

I don't think he was on the ballot. Maybe he's still too young (under 40).