NEW CF Carbon Fiber Shaft Not Straight. Input Needed

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
Hello,

How straight is a CF shaft supposed to be?? I'm inclined to think they should be perfectly straight, no wobble?

Yesterday I received my 1st CF shaft. It has a slight wobble, from slightly under half a credit card thickness, to maybe a hair over a full CC thickness. It's very apparent when rolled... Is this acceptable?

I'd say it's within tolerance for a cue that's still perfectly playable, but for the money these things cost, is it not reasonable to expect it to be straight?

I'm going to withhold the brand name for the time-being. I don't want to start ripping on companies here. ESPECIALLY before they've had a chance to discuss this. Additionally, in my short time here, I believe the company in question already gets a bad rap sometimes, for reasons that I suspect are not truly related to the quality of their cues, but that's another story... I'll just say it was made by a reputable company, and was purchased from a large dealer - who, for all I know, may be an advertiser here, and/or may also be closely affiliated with said manufacturer...

Input on the expected straightness of a CF shaft is appreciated.

Last edited:

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello,

How straight is a CF shaft supposed to be?? I'm inclined to think they should be perfectly straight, no wobble?

Yesterday I received my 1st CF shaft. It has a slight wobble, from about half a credit card thickness, to maybe a hair over a CC thickness. When rolled, it's very apparent... Is this acceptable?

I'd say it's within tolerance for a cue that's still perfectly playable, but for the money these things cost, is it not reasonable to expect it to be straight?

I'm going to withhold the brand name for the time-being. I don't want to start ripping on companies here. ESPECIALLY before they've had a chance to discuss this. Additionally, in my short time here, I believe the company in question already gets a bad rap sometimes, for reasons I suspect are not truly related to the quality of their cues, but that's another story... I'll just say it was made by a reputable company, and was purchased from a large dealer - who, for all I know, may be an advertiser here, and/or may even be closely affiliated with said manufacturer...

Is this while rolling the shaft on its own or while connected to a butt and rolling the whole cue? The shaft should be perfectly straight and the joint should be perfectly centered. There really should be a perfect roll on it's own, but when you are connecting it to a butt, there are other factors involved like the male joint not being 100 percent center with different tolerances.
A few years back, I had a thread here that documented massive wobble on a straight cue by different mid cue extensions just because the tolerances in what was measured as center on the extension was different than the joint on the shaft when the joints were installed.

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
The shaft wobble is apart (and together -no difference).

Ok, thanks for the input, and for confirming my suspicion. I guess I just wasn't sure if it's normal for all CF shafts have "a little" wobble, or not...

Sadly, I'm sending it back. And on that note, I don't expect any "hassles", as possibly inferred by my earlier post. :)

Thank again.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello,

Yesterday I received my 1st CF shaft. It has a slight wobble, from about half a credit card thickness, to maybe a hair over a CC thickness. When rolled, it's very apparent... Is this acceptable?

I'm going to withhold the brand name for the time-being. I don't want to start ripping on companies here. ESPECIALLY before they've had a chance to discuss this. Additionally, in my short time here, I believe the company in question already gets a bad rap sometimes, for reasons that I suspect are not truly related to the quality of their cues, but that's another story... I'll just say it was made by a reputable company, and was purchased from a large dealer - who, for all I know, may be an advertiser here, and/or may also be closely affiliated with said manufacturer...

New shaft or refund. Too much $$ to spend for a product that is DEFECTIVE.

pfd studios

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CF shaft issue

Repair, Replace OR Refund - it is all good.

it is not a matter IF things happen - it is more a matter of what they do about it when notified that speaks to their integrity . . . .

Try dealing with the Post Office over a $500.00 damage claim and see how that goes if you want a lesson in response and responsibility.

Shorty34

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For what it's worth, I have just bought three CF shafts from a local cue craftsman and after they were complete, he came to my house to "fit" them to my cues.

In order to do this, he took his time to roll each of them when attached to their respective butts and look for any variation in the rolls. He then found the "high spot" in the roll, marked it and took the cue apart. He then took his razor and every so slightly trimmed the joint face of the shaft. And when I say ever so slightly, I mean I couldn't even tell he was actually shaving any material off. He did this a few times to his liking and re-tested. The are all perfectly straight now. He also told me that due to machining differences in the butt joint faces and in the actual pins that the shaft would "mate" to their respective cues after a short time.

Now, I certainly don't expect the mass produced cue makers to come to everyone's house and personally mate their shafts to your cues - I am just making a point about idiosyncrasies in cues, cue faces, joints, shafts etc etc etc.

All I know is that the very minimal amount of lift (about a credit card) that I had when we initially tested is now gone.

Look closely at the picture of this Cutec Cynergy shaft and you will see what I am talking about. See the shiny spots on the joint face? That is what I am referring to. That is due to the machining in the joint face of the butt and will vary every so slightly from cue to cue.

https://www.google.com/search?q=car...UIEigC&biw=1600&bih=829#imgrc=H2nihKUstyfu5M:

search

Last edited:

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello,

Hmmm, they do not make them 'un-straight' and there's no way you can warp them.
Surely you are mistaken! (I have all maple shafts but shit like this is what has been slung at me)

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I never liked to read this or hear it, but my Meucci shafts have been laser straight.

I would have it replaced.

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
Shorty34, great info!

Well I seem to be getting conflicting info on CF shafts.

According to these comments, I'm led to believe they should be perfectly straight / roll flat??

However, the dealers response is: "All Carbon Fiber shafts (including ***** and *****) have a very slight roll to them, because there is a flat in the shaft (out of round)."

They did offer an exchange or refund "Upon inspection", but now I'm wondering...

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shorty34, great info!

Well I seem to be getting conflicting info on CF shafts.

According to these comments, I'm led to believe they should be perfectly straight / roll flat??

However, the dealers response is: "All Carbon Fiber shafts (including ***** and *****) have a very slight roll to them, because there is a flat in the shaft (out of round)."

They did offer an exchange or refund "Upon inspection", but now I'm wondering...

The dealer lied to you.

Even it there is a flat spot, it would still roll true.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I've seen 5 cf shafts here for rethread and extension work.
None rolled true except one came really close.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For what it's worth, I have just bought three CF shafts from a local cue craftsman and after they were complete, he came to my house to "fit" them to my cues.

In order to do this, he took his time to roll each of them when attached to their respective butts and look for any variation in the rolls. He then found the "high spot" in the roll, marked it and took the cue apart. He then took his razor and every so slightly trimmed the joint face of the shaft. And when I say ever so slightly, I mean I couldn't even tell he was actually shaving any material off. He did this a few times to his liking and re-tested. The are all perfectly straight now. He also told me that due to machining differences in the butt joint faces and in the actual pins that the shaft would "mate" to their respective cues after a short time.

Now, I certainly don't expect the mass produced cue makers to come to everyone's house and personally mate their shafts to your cues - I am just making a point about idiosyncrasies in cues, cue faces, joints, shafts etc etc etc.

All I know is that the very minimal amount of lift (about a credit card) that I had when we initially tested is now gone.

Look closely at the picture of this Cutec Cynergy shaft and you will see what I am talking about. See the shiny spots on the joint face? That is what I am referring to. That is due to the machining in the joint face of the butt and will vary every so slightly from cue to cue.

https://www.google.com/search?q=car...UIEigC&biw=1600&bih=829#imgrc=H2nihKUstyfu5M:

search

If he did it right he should of faced the butt joint perfectly flat and square.

The shaft was already right and the butt needed to be fixed.

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
Thanks everyone. It's going back for a refund. I'm not playing this game.

Have a nice weekend.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
In that carbon fiber is supposed to eliminate the warp, I would send it back.
There's all sorts of ways it could be there from the very beginning due to a manufacturing issue. Maybe it isn't warped the way we think of wood moving over time but it can still be just plain crooked.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
There's all sorts of ways it could be there from the very beginning due to a manufacturing issue. Maybe it isn't warped the way we think of wood moving over time but it can still be just plain crooked.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

To have a worthwhile opinion I would have to see it and roll it myself.
Without knowing anything about this shaft, you would think a carbon fiber shaft would be laser straight.
The carbon fiber is just a tube and tubes are not always perfect, but for what they are
charging they can afford to discard the blanks with a roll or defect.
Call them seconds or blems and charge half.
Someone I know got a Revo with a little lump in it.