How to deal with trash talk?

DarkPoseidon6

Registered
Had a pool league match tonight, and multiple times a couple of members from the opposing team talked an enormous amount of trash during the games. It was actually ridiculous and pretty insulting to go with it.

I made it a point to ask my captain to play me against the biggest trash talker on the team. I prevailed. However, I thought it was one of the most low-classed displays I've ever witnessed.The person I played eventually shut his mouth because of how the game was going, however, the captain of the opposing team kept up with the insults, making terrible garbage remarks about safety plays (which actually weren't safeties at all)….

I'm not going to go into it, except for the fact that our team won 14-1. Just curious if you have encountered much of this kind of thing and what your mentality and outlook during a match is, if you guys have ever been faced with this kind of thing.

Have you had to deal with this and what is your mindset?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had a pool league match tonight, and multiple times a couple of members from the opposing team talked an enormous amount of trash during the games. It was actually ridiculous and pretty insulting to go with it.

I made it a point to ask my captain to play me against the biggest trash talker on the team. I prevailed. However, I thought it was one of the most low-classed displays I've ever witnessed.The person I played eventually shut his mouth because of how the game was going, however, the captain of the opposing team kept up with the insults, making terrible garbage remarks about safety plays (which actually weren't safeties at all)….

I'm not going to go into it, except for the fact that our team won 14-1. Just curious if you have encountered much of this kind of thing and what your mentality and outlook during a match is, if you guys have ever been faced with this kind of thing.

Ignore 'em and just pound the shit out of them(on the table that is).

DarkPoseidon6

Registered
I actually went about it differently.... That is probably good, but I noticed that you can also play their game and throw them off so bad because they can't handle what they dish out.

Sunchaser

Belgian Malinois
Silver Member
I thrive on it. Love it if ive got you to the point of runnin smack constantly. Under your skin is awesome. While your coming up with the next cute comment im putting racks on you. I mean come on...whats not to like.

macneilb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Take it as a compliment. It's pretty much an admission that even they know they can't win straight up

Pangit

Banned

a06b664da2583544bab555fad41edc5e38af9a09

Coolio said it best.

May God help you in your quest for fair league play. :wink:

Last edited:

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nothing focuses my attention more than a trash talker. That has been true for me in all sports for as long as I can remember.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I was younger I would find the best looking of their girlfriends, go home to her house and bang the hell out of her. Then, of course, I would wipe my pecker on her drapes on the way out. I only did that twice, and it didn't necessarily help the situation, but the trash talk changed a bit.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Are you sure they were not just joking with you guys and you did not get the gist of how they were saying stuff? I mess with people all the time like this, even players I don't know well if I see that they have a good sense of humor. One doubles match our teams had a ton of fun making fun of the games especially when some-ones partner left a bad shot for his team-mate, a lot of digs at players but it was all in good fun, and I think this was the first time I have seen the guys on the other team.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The last guy I want to play in a tournament is a guy who wants respect....
...you know the kind....everybody should stop moving and talking when he plays.

I like trash-talking gin rummy sessions...and I mostly like talking pool sessions...
...some guys don’t know where the line is that you shouldn’t cross....
...for those guys, I go to the ‘road’ mode....and don’t talk so much.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
The last guy I want to play in a tournament is a guy who wants respect....
...you know the kind....everybody should stop moving and talking when he plays.

Golf is famous for that. Some players can make real jerks of themselves that way. Unless they are pros it's hard to believe minor distractions make a difference.

As far as trash talk goes, if they're talking they are not focused on their game. Let them talk and ignore it. Focus on the table, nothing else matters.

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I know of several guys like this and they're naturally loud and obnoxious no matter what they do. One of the guys got shot with a shotgun and survived. If you give them a chance, a lot of them would give their shirts off their back to help you out. Just zone it out and play pool. Never take it personal.

Reactions: JC

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
sit down

When the sharking or other BS got too outrageous I just sat down or wandered off during my turn to talk to a friend or buy a beer. If I bought a beer then I sat in my chair and took a swallow now and then. I totally ignored the table until the opposing player or team settled down.

Repeat this a few times and even the densest catch on.

Hu

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Don Rickles was the king of giving it back, it was what he did to drunks in his audence. Talking trash has been going on since I was a small boy, the Internet only make it more vile like poision.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I was younger I would find the best looking of their girlfriends, go home to her house and bang the hell out of her. Then, of course, I would wipe my pecker on her drapes on the way out. I only did that twice, and it didn't necessarily help the situation, but the trash talk changed a bit.

Good move...should always be considered.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
Have fun with it and trash talk back.

Let it motivate you.

When it's done blatantly and loud, if you're down on your shot, get up, walk around the table and start your psr again. If they do it again, repeat. That's what got a friend to stop talking trash at me when I was down on the shot.

Lastly, give warning of calling a foul.