Liquid Weight Cues

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My friend and I looked into the Liquid Weight Cues.

Personally I thought that the principle had merit and needed further study.

Over the years, like many, I have watched the Chinese, Taiwanese, Japanese, and Filipino players play. Since these folks are small in size using a standard length cue of 58" leaves about 9" of cue mass behind their grip hand. It's no wonder why they are some of the best players on the planet.

And then comes along Earl who started playing with an extension on his cue and everyone was saying "what the heck is he doing". :)

After SVB's visit with his pool playing idol (Earl) SVB started using an extension on his cue and more recently Shaw is now using and extension on his cue. More and more of the taller players are starting to use extensions. These pro's are not putting extensions on their cues because they think its cool. :)

So, I reflected back to a conversation I had with my instructor back in the middle 90's.
He stopped me once while practicing and said " which do you think requires the less effort, to pull the cue forward in a straight line or to push the cue forward in a straight line?" I didn't know how to answer his question at that time...........I do now.

The issue is this, cue makers do not build cues to proportionally fit a players height and wing span. In other words, for taller players they are left with very little to no cue mass behind their grip hand which in many case forces the player to try and push the cue forward in a straight line which may require more effort. Which could cause unwanted stress in the grip hand, forearm, upper arm, lower bicep muscle and maybe even the upper arm.

Now, I'm 6'2" tall and have a wing span of 6'2", using a standard length cue of 58" only leaves a cue mass of about an inch or so behind my grip hand which to me wasn't going to work. So, based on the Liquid Weight idea I decided to build an extension that would work the way I wanted it to.

A standard extension wouldn't work for normal play because when you have your cue all jacked up shooting off the rail or over a ball the front of the cue becomes too light and is just not going to work well.

Pictured below you will see the extensions I build for taller players that would like to experience what it feels like to shoot pool with a a cue mass behind their grip hand. It's a totally different feeling.

The extensions are about 9-1/2" long with a weight total of 7 oz to 8 oz. Now inside the extension is another cylinder that travels about a 1.0" to 1.5" and weighs 4 oz. This took care of the front of the cue getting light on jacked up shots. You don't feel any weight in your grip hand you now feel the weight behind your grip hand. I might add that the weight screw in the butt of my cue was removed, which weighed in at .4 oz. My cue is 67" long and I feel that its length is proportional to my height and wing span.

That's all for now. Sorry for the long post, but I just had to say what was on my mind. :)

Attachments

• extensions (Small) (2).jpg
    extensions (Small) (2).jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I tried some dampening systems in a cue many years ago, it did not hit the cue ball the same as a cue without the dampening system in it. I tried a cartridge with lead shot, so it emulated a dead blow hammer. And a cartridge with some tungsten rods, with some oil around them. Yes they did dampen the vibration to the feel, and they hit the ball a lot softer, or lighter is the best way to describe it. I did not try a series of balls in a cartridge like they show. Maybe they have come up with something that works, that I did not find. If I took out the cartridge, the lighter cue actually hit better. That was also the conclusion of those who tried it out for me. But using vibration dampening technology in the composite cue shaft, does make a really big difference, and improves the shaft's performance.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I tried a cartridge with lead shot, so it emulated a dead blow hammer. And a cartridge with some tungsten rods, with some oil around them. Yes they did dampen the vibration to the feel, and they hit the ball a lot softer, or lighter is the best way to describe it.
This is what I'd expect - the opposite of what's advertised. Uncoupling part of the cue's overall weight during impact effectively removes it from the mass x speed equation for the force transmitted to the CB - it should act like a lighter cue. In that moment, moving in that direction, it is a lighter cue.

Some might argue that the weight is recoupled with the cue when it's thrown to the other end of its chamber on impact with the CB. I'm not sure how that would be a benefit, but it doesn't matter because it probably can't happen in the 1-2 milliseconds of contact.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is what I'd expect - the opposite of what's advertised. Uncoupling part of the cue's overall weight during impact effectively removes it from the mass x speed equation for the force transmitted to the CB - it should act like a lighter cue. In that moment, moving in that direction, it is a lighter cue.

Some might argue that the weight is recoupled with the cue when it's thrown to the other end of its chamber on impact with the CB. I'm not sure how that would be a benefit, but it doesn't matter because it probably can't happen in the 1-2 milliseconds of contact.

pj
chgo

Agree, the marketing claims of the company are downright ridiculous. BUT, could there be a stroke advantage that could help you cue through the ball better, when the weight hits the back of its chamber? Agree, it would not happen while the tip is in contact with the CB, but could it happen quickly enough to help the follow through. I ask this knowing that won't affect the shot, as the CB is gone. Just fodder for another gimmick that we can waste our money on knowing it won't make any bit of difference to our games:D:D