glue for bumper

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm trying to replace a bumper on someone's cue....it's a push in type. I've got one that fits fairly well, but the stem isn't all that tight and the stem is fairly short so the bumper pops off a little too easily for my taste. and this person has lost bumpers in the past, so I want something a little tigher. the last person who replaced the bumper decided to glue it in with CA, which was a total pain to remove when I needed to access the weight bolt. anyone have any recommendations for a light adhesive which would be enough to tighten up a push in bumper, but that would still allow easy removal of the bumper later?

Mojocues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i wouldnt try to glue it in ...maybe mix some epoxy up and put a thin layer
inside the buttcap and LET IT DRY .. then you should have a little tighter fit

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i don't think i can do that in this case as that would prevent the weight bolt from going in. i put some duct tape around the bumper stem and that made it little tighter, but i'm still not totally satisfied that it won't pop out one day.

treed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bumper glue

i use the rubber bead stuff for holding windsheilds in,just put a thin string sized bead on the bumper,very tacky,but can be cleaned off when removing with denatured alcohol.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm trying to replace a bumper on someone's cue....it's a push in type. I've got one that fits fairly well, but the stem isn't all that tight and the stem is fairly short so the bumper pops off a little too easily for my taste. and this person has lost bumpers in the past, so I want something a little tigher. the last person who replaced the bumper decided to glue it in with CA, which was a total pain to remove when I needed to access the weight bolt. anyone have any recommendations for a light adhesive which would be enough to tighten up a push in bumper, but that would still allow easy removal of the bumper later?

It is not uncommon to use a piece of masking tape wrapped around the bumper, avoid gluing the bumper all together.

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i don't think i can do that in this case as that would prevent the weight bolt from going in. i put some duct tape around the bumper stem and that made it little tighter, but i'm still not totally satisfied that it won't pop out one day.

Are you sure you understood his suggestion?

If you can build up the stem with duct tape, you can build up the register in the cavity of the butt of the cue with a few coats of epoxy or CA. Use a small wooden paddle or popsicle stick, etc to apply a few coats to the register that provides the interference fit with the bumper stem.

Kelly

Last edited:

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you sure you understood his suggestion?

If you can build up the stem with duct tape, you can build up the register in the cavity of the butt of the cue with a few coats of epoxy or CA. Use a small wooden paddle or popsicle stick, etc to apply a few coats to the register that provides the interference fit with the bumper stem.

Kelly

yeah i know what he meant...it's a good suggestion and probably something technically feasible. but the threads for the weight bolt are pretty close and it seems pretty tricky to get a good even coat in there without messing them up. i don't have a lot of capability to fix that if i do. i used one layer of duct tape and that was about all i needed. two was too much. the main problem is that the stem on the bumper and the cavity for that matter are short.

what about some silicone sealant/glue? i had a cue with a weight bolt that had that on there, a clear rubbery mixture. it had some hold to it, but it was still easy enough to unscrew the bolt if you needed to.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yeah i know what he meant...it's a good suggestion and probably something technically feasible. but the threads for the weight bolt are pretty close and it seems pretty tricky to get a good even coat in there without messing them up. i don't have a lot of capability to fix that if i do. i used one layer of duct tape and that was about all i needed. two was too much. the main problem is that the stem on the bumper and the cavity for that matter are short.

what about some silicone sealant/glue? i had a cue with a weight bolt that had that on there, a clear rubbery mixture. it had some hold to it, but it was still easy enough to unscrew the bolt if you needed to.

When spinning the cue, The real question would be?? Does it spin by the center of the weight bolt or by the i.d. of the butt cap.

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I guess I would have to see it to understand. My mind envisioned a 5/8" bumper stem and an independent and recessed 3/8" weight bolt. Sorry for the doubt.

I have also seen silicone sealant to secure a weight bolt like you described.

Kelly

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When spinning the cue, The real question would be?? Does it spin by the center of the weight bolt or by the i.d. of the butt cap.

it spins by the i.d. of the butt cap...the weight bolt is a headless screw

using the duct tape on the bumper didn't work out too bad, i think it should hold pretty good. maybe i'll forgo pursuing any kind of glue...

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it spins by the i.d. of the butt cap...the weight bolt is a headless screw

using the duct tape on the bumper didn't work out too bad, i think it should hold pretty good. maybe i'll forgo pursuing any kind of glue...

For that reason, I wouldn't try any glue there, masking tape works well,

vasilios

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
slice a o-ring slot in the butt and put a o-ring slot in the bumper.then use a o-ring.it won't take much of a recess.

bill

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For that reason, I wouldn't try any glue there, masking tape works well,

I've used masking tape several times over the years. It's also a simple fix that most anyone can do, so if I can't find someone the correct bumper then I would usually recommend they try that. I've even seen paper or thin cardboard wrapped around the stem of a bumper to do the same thing.

I also once made a bumper work by using a screw with a washer, lock washer, and nut on the bottom side. As the screw was tightened, It compressed, expanding the rubber and taking up some of the gap.

Lexicologist71

Rabid Schuler fanatic
Silver Member
You could apply thin layers of clear or black RTV to the bumper to make it fatter. I'd let it cure before you reinstall it. That should closely match the surface finish on the bumper.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You could apply thin layers of clear or black RTV to the bumper to make it fatter. I'd let it cure before you reinstall it. That should closely match the surface finish on the bumper.

Lexi,

Have you ever molded bumpers from RTV?

sorry for hijacking thread...
..........................................................................................

FWFW - to the OP, I prefer smearing 5 min Epoxy
to get a tight fit.

Dale