Who is the Person that has influenced your Pool Life the most?

ctran

You watch me.
Silver Member
the most influential person in my pool life is my wife, she barely knows pool and wants me to reduce my pool time.

but she got me my first custom cue as our wedding gift, and it has been a whole new pool horizon for me :).

A45GUNNER

Registered
I just wanted to reply to a post by Paul Davidson, boti2634. I have learned as much from this man as he ever could have from me. We have logged many miles traveling all over to tournaments, & every thing pool related. He is my "brother from another mother" & I knew he always "had my back" no matter what. He is the kind of person that everyone could learn something from, especially life lessons. I am fortunate to call him a true friend Thx, Rick Ballman

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member
As I'm sure you know, I used to play out of Randolph HIlls. This was Steve's home base and though Steve was constantly on the road, it was always a welcome sight to see him playing some friendly match with one of the locals.

I just want to relate my most memorable moment regarding Steve. It was about a week before his passing. He was thin, and unfortunately wasting away due to cancer when he walked into Champion Billiards in Rockville, MD. He wanted to say a final goodbye to his numerous friends and the room was filled to capacity in anticipation of his arrival.

To say Steve had heart is a gross understatement. That night Steve showed everyone there just how strong and valiant a personality he was. There was never a single regret from his lips or in his eyes, never a single moment in which he viewed himself a victim of circumstances. Though there is no question that he and all others who suffer the ultimate consequences of cancer are victims of this horrible disease Steve laughed and joked around. He celebrated his life and genuinely enjoyed sharing the friendships he formed over decades. That night Steve's strength of spirit lifted all of us.

My respect for Steve and the courage he displayed that night will forever help me cope better with whatever misfortune life may hand me.

Thanks Steve, may you rest in peace with all your loved ones.

Tom

f5edd523b1431e7f3fcf12b12f514109.jpg
0dda1804f4a37cbc63f51072cf533b9d.jpg

The "Hills"

TRWpool

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great Pix, thanks for posting them. Left to right, Big Ed, I remember the face but drawing a blank on his name(maybe you can help me remember), Bruce Greer, and "The Gump" Steve could shoot like Cole Dixon. Give him a tough shot and Steve could drain it.

Walker Roach and Jimmy Scrima. Walker was the most tenacious player. He was as he looked, a bull who never stopped coming at you. Walker Roach was chiefly responsible for helping me become a solid player with a killer instinct. Let up on Walker and he would bury you. He would never teach you anything but if you watched closely how he played the game you could learn volumes. He and I played many, many times. He beat on me like arag doll but I continued to improve and the tables began to turn in my favor.

I remember one evening we played and I was torchering Walker, game after game. Walker had no quit in him and I began to feel sorry for him. Big mistake! Walker came storming back playing solid One Pocket. I breathed oxygen into the lungs of very dagerous player and he made me pay for that error. In hindsight I'm glad it happened that way because it taught me that I owe myself and anyone I play to give it my all, every day, every game, every shot, all the way till the match is over.
He knew what it was all about and never took it personally when the match was on, and when it was over we were good friends again.
I loved that guy

Tom

Last edited:

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great Pix, thanks for posting them. Left to right, Big Ed, I remember the face but drawing a blank on his name(maybe you can help me remember), Bruce Greer, and "The Gump" Steve could shoot like Cole Dixon. Give him a tough shot and Steve could drain it.

Walker Roach and Jimmy Scrima. Walker was the most tenacious player. He was as he looked, a bull who never stopped coming at you. Walker Roach was chiefly responsible for helping me become a solid player with a killer instinct. Let up on Walker and he would bury you. He would never teach you anything but if you watched closely how he played the game you could learn volumes. I loved that guy.

Tom

Damn, that is a cool pic! Tom, do you keep in contact with Big Ed? Last time I saw him is when he was living in the loft he made above the billiards warehouse right next to Jack & Jills. Then after they closed down I lost touch and haven't seen him since. Is he doing OK yards think?

TRWpool

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Damn, that is a cool pic! Tom, do you keep in contact with Big Ed? Last time I saw him is when he was living in the loft he made above the billiards warehouse right next to Jack & Jills. Then after they closed down I lost touch and haven't seen him since. Is he doing OK yards think?

Last I heard, Ed is living near Orlando, driving a taxi. I haven't been in touch with him in years. I do hope he is doing well. I liked Ed. He has a good heart and was always loyal to his friends.

Tom

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member

Walker Roach and Jimmy Scrima. Walker was the most tenacious player. He was as he looked, a bull who never stopped coming at you. Walker Roach was chiefly responsible for helping me become a solid player with a killer instinct. Let up on Walker and he would bury you. He would never teach you anything but if you watched closely how he played the game you could learn volumes. He and I played many, many times. He beat on me like arag doll but I continued to improve and the tables began to turn in my favor.

I remember one evening we played and I was torchering Walker, game after game. Walker had no quit in him and I began to feel sorry for him. Big mistake! Walker came storming back playing solid One Pocket. I breathed oxygen into the lungs of very dagerous player and he made me paly for that error. In hindsight I'm glad it happened that way because it taught me that I owe myself and anyone I play to give it my all, every day, every game, every shot, all the way till the match is over.

He knew what it was all about. Never took it personally when the match was on and when it was over we were good friends again.

I loved that guy

Tom

f2d1af86fb385c5ede163454f2f6885f.jpg

JJ & here's another pic of some other guy, heard he wrote a book on one pocket

TRWpool

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
f2d1af86fb385c5ede163454f2f6885f.jpg

JJ & here's another pic of some other guy, heard he wrote a book on one pocket

Ah, Yeah! JJ, of course. Thanks. And where did you come up with this pic. This is one I've never seen. Wow, where did all that hair go? LOL
I look like a deer in the headlights.
Tom

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...photos...

Oh, man, love seeing Big Ed. It almost looks like he's holding a big fat stogie in his hand.:D

Great photos and golden memories.

Here's my Big Ed shot taken at my hangout, Hank Dietle's on the Pike. It is still there. We drove by it last night. It looks exactly the same, other than now there's a crowd of people hanging out on the front porch smoking cigarettes, since there's no smoking allowed inside.

Attachments

• Big Ed and me Dietles.jpg
    Big Ed and me Dietles.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 574

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a Tom-Tom photo taken at the 1986 Maryland State Tournament, which I was the TD. We were going over the rules of the tournament at the players meeting. From left to right, that's Radar, Tom-Tom, the late Jimmy Mack, and Richard Allen, owner of the late Champion Billiards in Silver Spring.

Attachments

• Radar, Tom-Tom, Jimmy Mack, Richard Allen at 86 MD State Tournament.jpg
    Radar, Tom-Tom, Jimmy Mack, Richard Allen at 86 MD State Tournament.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 615

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Awww! Jennie. Knowing that you are happy makes this the best complement I've received all year. Thanks sweetie.

BTW. I really enjoyed our conversation yesterday.

Tom

I enjoyed it to. We have to chat more often for sure! :)

BTW, the mobile number works for Huey. I called him, and he was, of course, at Laurel Raceway in the parking lot, getting an attitude adjustment, I guess you could say. :grin-square:

We also had a long chat on the phone, reminiscing about times gone by and catching up with the latest pool smut. Huey said, "Well, I got you clocked at about 60 now," to which I replied, "Nope. I'm 62. So you must be about 50, then," to which he replied, "Well, 48 sounds better." Hard to believe Baby Huey is 48. I remember him and Stuey skipping school and coming up to the pool room to hang out. :eek:

It was great sharing a few chuckles with you and Huey. Oh, man, the good old days.

One of the hardest laughs I've ever had was at that poker game in Olney at the short girl's house (can't remember her name). Huey was there, Parks, you, me, and a few others. We were talking about an upcoming boxing match. I was into boxing back then too. I said, "Well, So-and-So has a 6-inch reach," not realizing that meant he only had 6-inch arms. I was meaning his reach was 6 inches longer than the opponent. You flapped your hands like wings by your side and said, "6-inch reach?" We all busted out laughing. I don't know why, but that really tickled my funny bone. It's one of those laughs you remember forever. :grin:

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last I heard, Ed is living near Orlando, driving a taxi. I haven't been in touch with him in years. I do hope he is doing well. I liked Ed. He has a good heart and was always loyal to his friends.

Tom

Cool, thanks. I always liked Ed. We spent many a nights playing Tonk all night long. He also always used to stake Turkey when he and I would play, it was so much fun - the three of us would spend the whole time just jawwin at each other the whole time we played lol!

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member
Oh, man, love seeing Big Ed. It almost looks like he's holding a big fat stogie in his hand.:D

Great photos and golden memories.

Here's my Big Ed shot taken at my hangout, Hank Dietle's on the Pike. It is still there. We drove by it last night. It looks exactly the same, other than now there's a crowd of people hanging out on the front porch smoking cigarettes, since there's no smoking allowed inside.

766894fa0d05a0b6ca150eb46f7fba6a.jpg
acf73cc7171bb2cf2c7b543b06659ae8.jpg
c6e4e856dd68b6902b48c9505021c7b0.jpg

A couple more from the way back machine for you.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
766894fa0d05a0b6ca150eb46f7fba6a.jpg
acf73cc7171bb2cf2c7b543b06659ae8.jpg
c6e4e856dd68b6902b48c9505021c7b0.jpg

A couple more from the way back machine for you.

Geese! That must have been taken in the late '70s or early '80s.

This Geese shot is in 1986

Attachments

• Michael Geese Gerace.jpg
    Michael Geese Gerace.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 564

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Geese! That must have been taken in the late '70s or early '80s.

This Geese shot is in 1986

THE MIGHTY GEESE!!!!!! Boy I miss that guy, he always cracked me up! Yankees know JAM, I didn't know him in 86 as I would have only been 7 or 8 but I knew him well 10 years later in 96 and from this pic to then you would never think they were the same person unless you knew him. The overalls would have done it though as they were his trademark, actually thinking about it, this pic is the ONLY time I can recall seeing him in anything OTHER than the good ole overalls!

Last edited:

Matt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been lucky enough to have 2 people that I would consider pool "mentors" during my journey as a player.

The first was Herman Parker, who now runs the Q City tour. Back when I was in high school, he worked the door at Rack'em in Matthews, NC, where I spent most of my spare time in between school and my part-time job. I can't even remember how many late nights of practice I had there or how many local tournaments we went to play, but Herman's enthusiasm for the game was a big part of what got me hooked on pool. After I went to Raleigh for college (and stayed here), I didn't see Herman for years, so it was a nice surprise to see his name pop up when he started Q City, and I'm glad it's been as successful as it has so far.

My second mentor was Andy Bruce (Hittman), who I met when he moved to Raleigh from Monroe, LA and found out my home pool hall was practically in his backyard (he always insisted that was completely by accident). Andy was always on the lookout for a one-pocket game and would gladly tell you stories of Scottie Townsend's exploits or flying ultralights. I was fortunate to have him on my Masters team twice in Vegas (finishing in the top 16 on the second trip). We also took a trip to VA for the US open, the highlight of which was seeing Efren and Frost square off at Q Masters. In addition to being a skilled player, Andy was a master 3rd-generation woodworker and used those skills to create some great cues. In the past few years, Andy moved out to Carrboro to be closer to family and quit playing pool due to medical reasons, so I haven't seen him very much. It's sad to see someone lose the ability to do the things that really defined them, so I hope he has found something to fill the gap. I know I will be eternally grateful to him for sharing his passion (and stories) with me.

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
Influence can come from many places

Influence can come from many places; from dedication as well as experience.
My Father and two of his playing friends influenced me in my young years.

Now, Judd Trump ( A good30 yrs my junior), influences me by his dedication and skill.
I love the 4 cushion shot with English and power for perfect position.

https://youtu.be/KZA67elaLPI?t=452

Arete

Registered
Bob Henning probably did the most for my game by developing his reference system. I've never met him and I've known lots of great players that have helped here and there but practicing his system did the most for me.

klone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Robert Byrne and his articles in billiard magazines... the stuff I learned from reading his articles I still use in my games today!

Efren Reyes, for reminding me that pool is also as much art as it is science.