Best cue building and repair DVD's

chipperd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was wandering who sells the best cue making and repair dvds. I am getting good at the basic repairs and want to go further. And yes, I watch youtube, lol. I have bought one or two before, but the video was really bad, any advice is very much appreciated. And if anyone has any they would like to sell that are used, let me know.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I recommend buying Chris Hightower's book and videos....he builds cues and the equipment to build them with. He's also a founding member of the International Cuemaker's Assoc. and doesn't use a mallet to install a joint pin.....
Dave

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Having watched Joe Barringer and Chris Hightowers videos and read Chris's cue building book. I will say that, due to the low quality of the video itself, the videos has alot of unused potential. The best cuebuilding videos are made by Bob Dzuricky, great quality and he gets the angles right so we can clearly see what he explains.

JC

Coos Cues
Having watched Joe Barringer and Chris Hightowers videos and read Chris's cue building book. I will say that, due to the low quality of the video itself, the videos has alot of unused potential. The best cuebuilding videos are made by Bob Dzuricky, great quality and he gets the angles right so we can clearly see what he explains.

It's hard for me to watch Bob's videos without wanting to quit.:(

Can you say equipment envy?

JC

ELBeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are so many ways to accomplish the end result, it is difficult to say which is "best." When I started out I bought one each of pretty much every set I could find.
Hightower's videos showcase cuebuilding on one of his lathes. His books discusses more ways to accomplish the various cuebuilding tasks.
Barringer's video series highlight a variety of methods, may of which are different from Hightower's. His videos center around larger lathes and machinery.
Unique's cue repair and cuebuilding videos highlight their machinery and don't delve into much beyond that. Their series is worthwhile, however.
Brianna had a series of videos that centered around Porper's machinery. I know there are some Porper lathe videos, but I have not seen them.
DZ highlights a variety of methods that he uses very effectively on his equipment.
Dennis Dieckman had several series that preceded them all. He did not use any cuebuilding lathes, and merely adapted heavier machinery.
Much of this depends on your equipment. My point is, the different videos show many different avenues to get to the same end result. For instance, they show cutting point grooves on lathes and mills. They show squaring point stock on jointers, edge sanders, drum sanders, planers and cnc mills. They show the wrapped-around (stacked) method and the mitered method of veneers, etc.
I don't agree with all the methods, but it is eye opening to see what is out there.
No matter what you choose, setting up the equipment is key. Most machines just don't come shipped with the kind of accuracy one needs; you've got to spend the time to dial them in.

Best of luck,
Beau

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's hard for me to watch Bob's videos without wanting to quit.:(

Can you say equipment envy?

JC

I'm really impressed with Bob's photo skills and his machinist work.
He's got some great machines too. I think I have comented more than once on youtube, that he should make a series of cue building videos.
@ELBeau. Yes the videos are different and Unique and Chris naturally fokus on making cues on the equipment they sell, Joe's videos are more straight forward as he uses more standard equipment, but the collett setup he uses is too expensive and a bit too specialized for us normal guys.
Videos for doing cue building on a metal lathe with a 3, 5 or six jaw chuck, is hard to find, Bob's videos is the closest there is.
I think there is a market for a set of high quality videos showing everything from changing a tip, coring, making threads, doing tapers, laquering, wraps etc.
A great thing about Chris Hightowers book is that he lists alot of potential suppliers of all the stuff you need, I know some things that should be added to that list, but it's a great resource anyway.

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only videos I've ever seen were three or four of Diekmans. One was his equipment that he uses, (a complete waste of time and money). Another was the installation of a leather wrap (he took two days and it still wasn't complete). Another was on using s/g as a finish (believe me, I was anything but impressed).

I know Chris has been at this game for a long time and I would trust any method or technique that he offers.

I don't know about the other instructional video's.

I wasn't aware that Bob Dz had made any instructional video's other than the short segments that he has on his site and Utube. I will say that, although I'm retired from cue making do to health reasons, I would buy a set just to learn from (who I consider) a true master who gives information so willingly and unselfishly.

Dick