Fundamentals! How long until they become automatic?

kevin s

Tennessee
Silver Member
I played terrible this past Weds. and again on Sunday!! So monday morning I went and did a checkup (practice time) and realize a few mistakes in my basic fundamentals. With a focus on this tonight I played at the top of my game. I really don't like thinking about all that basic stuff while I'm shoting though!! ex: stance , stroke,etc. I want to have a feel for it and get in the zone.

Do any of you guys ever have this problem?? Or is it a problem? I wonder if top pro's are focusing on this stuff while they are playing.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
kevin s said:
I wonder if top pro's are focusing on this stuff while they are playing.

Good fundamentals are second nature to top pros when they are on their game, but the interesting thing is when they are not on their game it is usually precisely because of lapses in the fundamentals. You can never go back to the basics too often.

Last edited:

Stones

YEAH, I'M WOOFING AT YOU!
Silver Member
PoolBum said:
Good fundamentals are second nature to top pros when they are on their game, but the interesting thing is when they are not on their game it is usually precisely because of lapses in the fundamentals. You can never go back to the basics too often.

Tap, tap, tap.

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
Much depends on how you practice. And you must separate practice from play. When you are working on fundamentals, you should practice stroke drills. don't worry about making balls, focus on your stroke. The absolute worst time to focus on fundamentals is when you are playing. If you practice properly, those things you practice will happen in your game.
Golfers have it easy...they play on the golf course, and practice on the driving range...they have two separate places for two different activities. We have to make the change mentally, since we practice and play on the same playing field.
You can not practice and play at the same time. If you are trying to chase two rabbits, they both will get away.
Steve

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
I llike to spend the first 15 to 30 minutes of each practice session working on the fundamentals and then move to a more game-like session.... i.e. playing some 14:1, or 4 or 5 ball run out w/emphasis on making balls and getting position.

During the fundamentals portion I'll run through everything I can think of from aiming while standing, moveing into the shot properly, length of bridge, position of feet, elbow, hands, shoulders, grip, closed bridge tightness, head/chin position... everything I can remember to check I check.... follow through & position of tip and back hand when stroke is completed. I like to shoot the lengthof the table and aim to have the cb come back and hit my cue tip.. good for remembering to stay down as well as hitting the cb in the center.

42NateBaller

AKA "Drambuie Dave"
Silver Member
Ditto on Pooltchr's and Jim S's responses.

I like to spend the first 15 minutes and the last 10 minutes of every practice just working on stroke. Before big matches, I like get a little stroke work in that day, even if it's a couple hours before the match. I find that it gives me confidence to just perform during the match.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
Yes, there is quite a difference between Training, Practice and Play. Both Mental and Physical differences...........SPF=randy

henho

I Beat Fidelshnitzer
Silver Member
To answer your question I feel it took me about 4 years to develop a trustworthy stroke, but also I feel that my fundamentals are always evolving.

As others said, focusing on your stroke during practice is vital. My favorite thing to do is throw all the balls on the table and shoot them off, shooting one shot I want to work on consistently, such as a particular stroke or spin. Shooting some power draws and follows also helps me get in stroke quickly this way.

matcase

Blondie's #1 fan
Silver Member
Working on your fundamentals daily is one of The Fundamentals. In my opinion, people want their bodies to be automatic in terms of stance, stroke etc. What really needs to be automatic is the mental process of checking to see that the body is doing everything it is supposed to to shoot pool.

chunchin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my house, there is a big mirror in front of my wife's makeup desk.
Every night before sleep I face the mirror and spend about ten minutes practicing my free stroke.
From the mirror, you can check out everything about stroke fundamentals: stance, level of cue, straight follow-through, arm and head position..... Am I a pool addict?