"How-many" pack have you run?

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Measureman put a 3 pack on me one day at Hanks, which ended when I put the rack to
him...no 4 pack for Bruce.
Then I put 3 1-packs on him

My personal best in 9 ball is 5 racks.
No combos or caroms.
Just ran what was left after the break.
Cuesblues hit me with a cement rack.
I thought i might have a chance at a 6 pack,but no.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
No combos or caroms.

Seems like a shifty character if you ask me. I'd up the bet... :yeah:

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
No combos or caroms.

I'm just glad you didn't break your shoulder trying to scatter that rack

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Abuse of the elderly is a felony in almost every state. Except Colorado. Where, rumor has it, it's encouraged.

Shame on you, sir... shame. :duck:

Abuse of the elderly by the elderly is fairly common in Colorado.
Especially when you're being beaten by a guy who shoots with an electronic store Lucasi.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Abuse of the elderly by the elderly is fairly common in Colorado.
Especially when you're being beaten by a guy who shoots with an electronic store Lucasi.

You mean it has a laser sight? :eek:

And I think we here in Florida have the corner on the market when it comes to elderly on elderly crime. **Especially** assault. Check out any Sunshine State Walmart. Need we say more? It isn't pretty...

Elderly Walmart greeter greeting elderly Floridian shopper -----> :bash:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's a "How many balls have you run in 14.1?" thread going now. Made me wonder about the same open question for everyone about 9 ball ( 10 ball will have to be another thread for someone else )?

Mine is: 6 from the snap once, 5 from the snap four times ( one 5 in a tournament, three 5s gambling ).

And 4 on a 5 x 10. Once.
I guess my question would be does your consecutive rack run have to have been accomplished in a tournament match or gambling session, or do practice sessions / casual games with no wager count as well? I was kind of feeling it has to be the former, however for years when people have asked me what my high run is in 14.1, I consider my high run accomplished during solo practice as my high run. So based on that, it would seem inconsistent for me to consider that a personal best consecutive rack run in 9-ball should only count when executed in a tournament match or gambling session. So I guess I'd say you should consider both as separate accomplishments - your PR consecutive rack run in a practice / casual session as well as your PR consecutive rack run in a tournament / gambling session. There certainly is a difference.

The only hole-in-one I've ever had in golf was accomplished during a round playing by myself, non-witnessed, so when anyone has asked me if I've ever had a hole-in-one, I tell them no, unless I decide to elaborate and tell them about that one I had when playing by myself, which I don't really count.

To answer the question, for 9-ball in a match or tournament, probably 4 racks, but honestly I'm not sure. At least for myself which I'm guessing is common for others, when you get in one of those zones of playing really well and stringing racks, it just happens and you're not concerned with counting how many consecutive racks you may have just run, so unless an observer happens to notice it and let you know, you possibly may not even realize it.

Last edited:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess my question would be does your consecutive rack run have to have been accomplished in a tournament match or gambling session, or do practice sessions / casual games with no wager count as well? I was kind of feeling it has to be the former, however for years when people have asked me what my high run is in 14.1, I consider my high run accomplished during solo practice as my high run. So based on that, it would seem inconsistent for me to consider that a personal best consecutive rack run in 9-ball should only count when executed in a tournament match or gambling session. So I guess I'd say you should consider both as separate accomplishments - your PR consecutive rack run in a practice / casual session as well as your PR consecutive rack run in a tournament / gambling session. There certainly is a difference.

The only hole-in-one I've ever had in golf was accomplished during a round playing by myself, non-witnessed, so when anyone has asked me if I've ever had a hole-in-one, I tell them no, unless I decide to elaborate and tell them about that one I had when playing by myself, which I don't really count.

To answer the question, for 9-ball in a match or tournament, probably 4 racks, but honestly I'm not sure. At least for myself which I'm guessing is common for others, when you get in one of those zones of playing really well and stringing racks, it just happens and you're not concerned with counting how many consecutive racks you may have just run, so unless an observer happens to notice it and let you know, you possibly may not even realize it.

I agree. I have had break and runs and never realized it until my opponent or my scorekeeper said something.

Funny story. I was playing in our 9 ball tri cups once again a good friend. When i got down to shoot an was 7 ball it hit me....wow I am on a break and run. Sure enough I missed it... Dang was shot too .lol

So my opponent misses the same 7 ball and I run out. As he was racking he told me .....i cant believe you missed that was 7 ball....you had a break and run going.

I said yea that's why I missed and told him the thought about a break and run entered my mind while I was down on the shot. Then I asked him about him missing the same ball. He said he was thinking if he missed I was out. We both had a good laugh over that.

Michael Andros

Silver Member

I never really thought about it, although, sure, the pressure is waaayyyyy less practicing ( even though, if you're practicing and you're *aware* you just ran 4 racks and you're on your fifth, that can add pressure, but nothing compared to tournament or gambling ) than it is either for $$$ or tourney. I am usually so focused ( especially if I'm playing lights out, in the *zone*, as it were ), I'm not even aware of any shots I've made or racks I've run, etc... many times, someone has said to me, "Wow, that was a helluvashot on that 4 ball." and my response is almost always "I don't remember it." Because I don't. I strung 4 in a bar once, gambling, on an 8' Valley and had no idea til my staker said "You just ran 4 racks." I was oblivious. And that's the way I think you need to be if you're going to get the most out of your abilities on any given day. You just have to kind of "melt" into what you're doing.

So, in response, I count anything I do at the table, practice, tourney or gambling. I don't always remember it, except the milestones, like the 5s and the one 6. And, the 4 on the 5x10 ( which was practice ). When I string 3 ( or less ), I'm fairly satisfied but I don't make a mental note about it, so it's pretty much gone within minutes.

Last edited:

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
8 pack 8 ball on the bar box then i just quit and chilled unfinihsed run smfh.....12 banks w/o miss playing full rack once....9 racks of 9. One of my favorite bests is 23 racks of 8 ball ran (not consecutively) in a tournament on way to 4th place.

years ago i made 13 spot shots on a ten foot snooker table with my eyes closed....jess copin was ball setting me....was cray.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only one I really count, under pressure, was against Cary Dunn. A very good player out of VA (better than me). He is a former VA State Champion in various disciplines. I got to the finals of a 9 ball tournament in Richmond (I forget the name) and had to beat Cary twice. I opened with a 3 pack on the Diamond Table and beat him the first set. I played good the second set, but Cary won. Not bad for an amateur banger. I'm proud of my 3. I've never had a good break, either.

eastcoast_chris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In competition/tournament play I've run 6. (no combos). Was a race to 7 and choked when my opponent pointed it out that I was about to run the set.... I was that in the zone that I didn't think about it.

Kind of ran 9 on a bar box, but it included a 9 combo and two lock up safeties along the way... opponent never made a ball.

One my home table, with a perfect magic rack, always making the wing ball, perfect shape on the 1 ... I've run 9.

9 ball ghost(bih) on my home table I've beat 9-0 many times.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Since this is still going. ;)

My best non run in 8 ball was to win 22 games straight without a table run.

It was on ladies league night at a tavern with 2 tables. Quite a few young men wanted to get on the table next to the girls. I got the table early and charged them $2 a game to try. I did not lose a game that night. Afterwards when I counted the money I came up with the score. :cool:

Michael Andros

Silver Member
My best non run in 8 ball was to win 22 games straight without a table run.

It was on ladies league night at a tavern with 2 tables. Quite a few young men wanted to get on the table next to the girls. I got the table early and charged them $2 a game to try. I did not lose a game that night. Afterwards when I counted the money I came up with the score. :cool:

Back @ 80 ( or so ) I did the same thing, only it was a ladies *tournament* in Jacksonville, at a huge bar that had probably 8 tables ( 8' Valleys ). The wife of my staker at the time, who played pretty sporty herself, was in the tourney so I got on one of the tables and played for probably 4 hours or so and never lost. The bets varied but overall I probably came out 300 ahead, something like that. After it was over and we were getting ready to leave one of the players ( pretty good shortstop ) came up to me and said "We're trying to figure out how good you play..." I said "When you find out, let me know." :D

Hard to grasp that as almost 40 years ago.

Kathy Keegan

Registered
I ran 7 racks 9-ball on John Schmidt at Fatso's in Tampa a few years ago. Mike Davis was there, watching from under his eyebrows. Had to have a friend stand in my way for the 8th rack break because my back tightened up so bad I couldn't bend over. I told John if I played another game I'd be getting a ride in an EMS truck. Stan Koschia came over and crowded my break for me and I managed to walk to a booth.

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One six pack and several fives long ago in the late 60's.

At 74, now, I would be fortunate to run 6 balls in a row. How quickly time flies.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Break and out probably 4
Break and win, with a run, combo or 9 snap is 6 or 7. Know I did a set against a buddy gambling where he never shot, and won 2 or 3 next set before he shot. He was kinda pissed, even though it was just 5 for 20.

These days I’m just happy to run a few racks now and then.