How to Score Concession in Accu-Stats TPA

RabbiHippie

"Look! A real hippie!"
Silver Member
How do you mark the scoresheet when someone concedes the game ball?

Here’s a real world example of what I’m talking about ...

In the race to eleven match, Efren Reyes (.903) outpointed Kin Davenport (.775) by the score of 9-4! With the score 7-4, Davenport's poor position resulted in a missed bank shot and a new score, 8-4. The next rack, Davenport missed a shot badly and decided he had had enough. He raked in the balls conceding that rack, then shook Reyes' hand to concede the rest of the session.

Source:http://www.sfbilliards.com/accustats/V1_N06.pdf

Marking zero for balls pocketed and then circling for the win seems to penalize the incoming player through no fault of his own in calculating Accu-Stats TPA. The player who wins by concession has his ball count reduced by one ball that he would have likely pocketed if he’d been allowed to shoot. Would it make more sense to record a circled “one” since the opponent conceded that the ball was as good as “made.” Does anyone know how Accu-Stats scores this?

In the same fashion, you could argue that the conceding player could be marked for an additional error because it’s a foul to concede a rack under some rules. Maybe even two extra errors for tournaments like the Derby City Classic where a conceding player forfeits his next game as well.

Last edited:

RabbiHippie

"Look! A real hippie!"
Silver Member
Another Question about Scoring TPA

Does Accu-Stats basically treat every inning beyond a run-out or planned safety first time at the table as ending due to Position Error? Almost like “playing the ghost” where one Miss causes you to lose the game.

Or is some judgment allowed for whether or not the rack was runnable? In theory, a perfect player would play perfect position on every shot to break up any clusters and still run out.

I often play shape for a difficult next shot rather than risk missing entirely when extreme English is needed to get anything easier. If the cue ball stopped where intended but I then miss a hard shot, is it still marked as a Position Error since theoretically I could’ve chosen to play for something easier?

Last edited:

patscue

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
How do you mark the scoresheet when someone concedes the game ball?

Here’s a real world example of what I’m talking about ...

Source:http://www.sfbilliards.com/accustats/V1_N06.pdf

Marking zero for balls pocketed and then circling for the win seems to penalize the incoming player through no fault of his own in calculating Accu-Stats TPA. The player who wins by concession has his ball count reduced by one ball that he would have likely pocketed if he’d been allowed to shoot. Would it make more sense to record a circled “one” since the opponent conceded that the ball was as good as “made.” Does anyone know how Accu-Stats scores this?

In the same fashion, you could argue that the conceding player could be marked for an additional error because it’s a foul to concede a rack under some rules. Maybe even two extra errors for tournaments like the Derby City Classic where a conceding player forfeits his next game as well.
When a player concedes the game and only one or two balls still remain on the table and it is obvious that they would be pocketed, the winner gets credit for those balls. On the other hand, if a player concedes the game with many balls on the table, the winner would not get credit for those balls.

patscue

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Does Accu-Stats basically treat every inning beyond a run-out or planned safety first time at the table as ending due to Position Error? Almost like “playing the ghost” where one Miss causes you to lose the game.

Or is some judgment allowed for whether or not the rack was runnable? In theory, a perfect player would play perfect position on every shot to break up any clusters and still run out.

I often play shape for a difficult next shot rather than risk missing entirely when extreme English is needed to get anything easier. If the cue ball stopped where intended but I then miss a hard shot, is it still marked as a Position Error since theoretically I could’ve chosen to play for something easier?
If a player runs at least one ball and fails to run out, he USUALLY will get charged with an error, either by missing a shot or playing safety because of poor position. There are exceptions. One exception is more common than others. It is when a player does not want to run the rack but rather plays a "Pre-Planned Safety". When this happens, the shooter does not get charged with an error.