Tips on improving my game without access to a pool table

aaronataylor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm looking for some tips on ways I can continue to improve my game without having access to a pool table in this strange time we are living in. Hopefully we will all be back to normal in a few weeks, but if pool halls remain closed for a month or longer, what are the best ways to keep sharp and in stroke? Have any of you come up with a specific practice regimen without a table to play on?

Thanks in advance for your helpful thoughts and ideas.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm looking for some tips on ways I can continue to improve my game without having access to a pool table in this strange time we are living in. Hopefully we will all be back to normal in a few weeks, but if pool halls remain closed for a month or longer, what are the best ways to keep sharp and in stroke? Have any of you come up with a specific practice regimen without a table to play on?

The answer is very simple, watch as many top-end matches as you can, they are available online, on Facebook and youtube.

Honestly, some people have a good visual memory, watching pro's running out will help your game, not only you will get comfortable in the speed of "running out" constantly, but also you will learn the best routes for game patterns.

Just watch as many games as you can, preferably good matches of the best players.

Michael Fedak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, there are SO many matches at your disposal online (the ACCUSTATS library is another huge repository).

My tip - pause the stream after the break and before the pro player gets down on any shot - decide how you would play this layout. Really force yourself to go more than 2 or 3 balls and commit to a whole plan. (Even decide to where you would push out to if you had to.) Then watch what actually unfolds.

LOL, not that it's improved my game much.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

There is no way to keep sharp and in stroke, you can watch videos, instructional stuff that may make you learn something new, but to actually execute what you learned or practice what you know, there is no way to do it without doing it.

Having said that, when I take a longish break from playing, when I come back I feel I play with more confidence and interest and tend to play to play my best. Same thing when I go into a new pool hall or play in a new tournament with players I don't know. It just brings out more focus and actually relaxes me a bit since I am not goofing around with friends or playing the same 10 guys I play every month. You may end up playing good in a few weeks without touching a cue. I actually have a funny story about that, when Amazin Billiards opened near me, I went to play in one of their first tournaments, got on a table with a group of guys practicing and broke and ran my first two games I ever played there. Some guy bought me in the Calcutta for $40 or 60 because he thought I was a top player and was my son's coach from seeing me run those racks LOL. He was right on one of those things hehe I ended up going 2 and 2 then but the new players and new rooms got me playing well soon as I walked in.

Last edited:

1pocket

Steve Booth
Gold Member
Silver Member
Studies have been done that show visualization practice -- just in your mind -- can be as effective or maybe more effective than physical practice. I think one of the studies people practiced their basketball free throw shooting, and if I recall correctly, those that practiced only virtually actually did quite well.

I have mentioned this before to certain pool players that got extended stays in jail, and about all of them said it helped. You can look around right here in the pro ranks, there are several players that seemed to come out of jail playing better than they went in.

I would try that for sure if you have no table.

I have a feeling if you google you will get advice about this. Try it -- you'll like it -- and you don't need to go to jail to do it :D

Raecarmia

"Only the finest"
Silver Member
Practice..

Hi, I think time away from the table and the climate that comes from being at a poolroom can give you time to focus on building a good solid approach to the mental side of game. By practicing things that are easily overlooked by most players. My suggestions are to think about your normal routine when playing... In essence, your approach to the table, your thoughts and your physical movements....take this opportunity to analyze gaps in focus, think about your commitment levels.. Being self aware of your own actions and thoughts can help you develop a solid foundation that if practiced will increase your overall performance. Hopefully this will be helpful, stay safe and may the rolls go your way.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
------------
I have mentioned this before to certain pool players that got extended stays in jail, and about all of them said it helped. -----------------

Not that I play in NH often (outside of Crows Nest) but thanks for the heads up to watch myself around the players LOL

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get a starter drafting set and make diagrams.

Have stick and balls? Hours of fun (not really) working on all kinds of alignment problems.

Get out in the yard and drive the ball off anything the right height. Do target practice with it; anything...

Buzzard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a soda bottle set up on my dining room table and stroke into it a minute or two a day. Also watch a lot of matches keeping an eye on players mechanics and try to predict how he/she will play the table.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

Somebody asked me this on Facebook. Here is how I replied:

Unfortunately, having no access to a pool tables is a little limiting. But here are some things you can do:
- Practice your stroke at a dining table or counter at home. You don't need pool balls for this. Some good ideas are in this stroke drills video.
- Work on mental preparation, and imagine yourself playing well. This mental game video can help.
- Watch lots of pro matches. Watching the game being played well is helpful. Lot's of great matches are available online.
- Watch lots of good instructional videos. I recommend my "Top 10" playlist, my "Everything You Need to Know" playlist, and any of my instructional products.

But the main thing is: Be safe and don't catch that nasty virus!

Regards,
Dave

Last edited:

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I heard if you eat a pool cue that it comes out in everything you doo.

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Download all of Tor Lowry's videos for $29.95 and watch them. See "Full Zero-X Collection - Digital Downloads" here:

https://www.zerox-billiards.com/shop?page=2

You might have to click on the "Load More" button at the bottom of the page to see the download for the full collection.

Or, purchase some of Dr. Daves videos:

https://drdavebilliards.com/products/info-advice/

At the bottom of the page, there is a chart and recommendations for what to buy.

Take notes when watching!

Last edited:

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Working out, eating right, and stretching are often
over looked in pool but, this is a great time to get
physically ready for your next contest.

Stroke training. I put a piece of tape or string
on the kitchen table with a big wall mirror on
the opposite wall to work on getting in the right
position and honing my stroke.

Watch YOUTUBE videos and pause after the break
or each shot and try to workout the pattern or shot
required. Keep track of your correct/ incorrect calls.

Read books on pool strategy or even pool fiction to
visualize the environment and put yourself in the story.

Last but not least you might take a break from all
pool related subjects. The hunger you will have to play
and grow your game after a forced break might
be just what the doctor ordered.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
First of all, every suggestion above is great.

I'd recommend writing an abridged pool autobiography.

Write about how you first got exposed to the game. What got you hooked. What you did when you first started playing. How much you played, who you played against. How fun it was to learn new things. Then keep writing. Eventually you might come to the part where the game got tougher, or how you had to put it on the back burner due to career and family. Keep writing. Write about how your goals got dusty and forgotten at times. How you learned to accept that you wouldn't get better. How you keep trying and playing but it seems like this is as far as you can get.

I promise you that if you put this together you'll reawaken something inside of yourself. 10-20 pages over the next few weeks will only take a few hours. That is nothing in the scheme of things. But when you're done you will have a profound realization. You will remember why this game is so important. You will remember you have one life to live. You will realize you are the author of your life and you get to control how the story unfolds from here.

Now go ahead and write the rest of the story, the future, the way you want it to play out. Talk about how you will get recommitted to the game, how you will start putting more in than you ever did before, not in terms of money and time but with focus and effort. Talk about some of the new high runs you'll post, the players you'll start beating, the tournaments you'll win. Talk about how meaningful those accomplishments will be, how satisfying it will be to reach those milestones. Talk about the challenges you'll have faced and overcome along the way. Flesh it out and make it so real you can taste it.

Because guess what? If you take the time to do this, you probably will.

Last edited: