New guy trying

Stroking Yoda

Hey everyone,

I have just recently decided to try and get into repairing my own cues. For now I am just looking to work on tips and shaft (mostly keeping it clean, no tapering). Since I have never bought a lathe before I was wondering if there were any out there or configurations, preferably under $500, that are good for beginning with. I have read alot about Hightower and Porper lathes on here, and they are exactly what I am wanting, but since I am not looking at making any money out of this yet, I am trying not to spend that amount of money. Any help would be nice. Thanks alot guys!!!

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
If you want to DIY then just do it with hand tools.......... I use to glue on tips and turn them down by hand on a bench grinder wheel.... it worked...

anything really good for what you want is $1000 to $1200..

kIM.

Russell Cues

Maverick Cue Builder
Silver Member
You might get lucky and find a used Hightower mid-size lathe. But there are other ways to do it if you dont want to spend that much.

Stroking Yoda

I know all the hand lathes and such are out there, but at the moment I have a j/b with a phenolic tip and am wanting to cut it flat and put a samsara on. Was just wondering if there were any half decent machines out there that I haven't seen yet. But thanks for the input.

jaydog468

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey everyone,

I have just recently decided to try and get into repairing my own cues. For now I am just looking to work on tips and shaft (mostly keeping it clean, no tapering). Since I have never bought a lathe before I was wondering if there were any out there or configurations, preferably under $500, that are good for beginning with. I have read alot about Hightower and Porper lathes on here, and they are exactly what I am wanting, but since I am not looking at making any money out of this yet, I am trying not to spend that amount of money. Any help would be nice. Thanks alot guys!!!

Send a pm to Todd aka tsp&b.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I know all the hand lathes and such are out there, but at the moment I have a j/b with a phenolic tip and am wanting to cut it flat and put a samsara on. Was just wondering if there were any half decent machines out there that I haven't seen yet. But thanks for the input.

If you have done the research, then you should already realized.....it will cost $$$$ no matter which way you go, one way just involves a whole lot more aggravation. Anything cheap...get what you pay for and then may have a F#@$k ed up shaft or 2 on top of it that you will have to pay for if it's not yours. Most come in to this 'hobby' with the thought of not spending a lot, Myself included back about 16 years ago. I got lucky and found a benchtop metal lathe for $200, before any craigslist etc. I used the classified ads in the paper. I then spent about 2-3 years getting it in the right shape to do repairs properly. It ended up costing me many dollars more, but I did learn a lot. But back then you couldn't get a ready made machine like you can now. The way I see it now, spend alot of time on craigslist in your area or ebay, and you may get lucky to find a metal lathe that will work ok WITH modifications which = $$$ + you have to know what your doing and spend many hours doing it instead of Cue repair work. Or you can take some time and put some money aside and just spend the same amount of money once upfront, buy the one that works right out of the box, and get on to learning the repair end of things, not spending time on learning how to alter a lathe and fabricate accessories to do the job right.
P.S. wait til you start to buy supplies....:D
JMO,
Dave

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey everyone,

Follow the link jkan101 gave you.

http://www.midamericapool.com/index_files/Page328.htm

$465 - perfect for what you want to do.

I have something good for you to start with

Send me your cell number or email by private message and I will send you pictures of a lathe I put together. Real nice, with all the tools you will need, collets, tips, ferrules and calipers. I will let you have first crack at it before I post it in wanted for sale section. It's a great starter package.

cuegrip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just starting out

You could also get a Williard tip Machine for doing the tips...Modified mandrels work in an electric drill for cleaning shafts...the money you can make with a Williard tip machine will pay for a nice lathe in several months, or sooner, depending on how motivated you are