Gold Crown Question

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At what point should the hardwood frame that is adhered to the three slates on a Gold Crown be replaced?

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
At what point should the hardwood frame that is adhered to the three slates on a Gold Crown be replaced?

When regular sized staples wont stay! IMO you can cut some back and replace what you took out.

Why not learn the glue down method?

Trent from Toledo

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member

Hey Jay!

I'm assuming that the liners that you are referring to have been chewed out by years of stapling. Usually, these tables come from active pool halls.

That said, I've not come across a table that required full replacement of the slate liners. However, I have repaired/replaced some bad sections.

Quite often (in regards to 50's-70's Brunswick tables), the liners extend beyond the edge of the slate. In these cases, you can take a flush-cut router bit, and flush up the edge of the liner. Sometimes, that cleans up the wood enough for future staples. You may still face an issue in the pocket areas, but those sections can often times be patched.

Another option is to avoid staples, and glue the cloth. You may still need to patch the wood in the pocket areas, but you could avoid replacing the liners. When gluing the cloth on, it certainly helps to have the liners flush with the edges of the slate, especially if the wood is chewed up badly. Otherwise, you won't have enough surface area for the glue to hold the cloth.