Soft/Medium/Hard tip
Old
  (#1)
Lockbox
AzB Silver Member
Lockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 57
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Sep 2016
   
Soft/Medium/Hard tip - 11-04-2016, 04:03 PM

I'm just starting out in the pool world and this has been on my mind. Recently, I played a tournament where some of the best players "appeared" to have hard tips (they were either hard or really worn down).

In any event, although preferences are many, what hardness tip do you play with and why? Any brand recommendations?

I personally play with the tips that came with my cues - Kamui soft. I feel like i'm not getting as much "feel" as I would with a medium tip and am considering changing. However, I don't feel like i'm 'good' enough to make that jump yet. Any input from anyone here?

Thanks!
  
Reply With Quote

Old
  (#2)
Rackemep
AzB Silver Member
Rackemep has a reputation beyond reputeRackemep has a reputation beyond reputeRackemep has a reputation beyond reputeRackemep has a reputation beyond reputeRackemep has a reputation beyond reputeRackemep has a reputation beyond reputeRackemep has a reputation beyond reputeRackemep has a reputation beyond reputeRackemep has a reputation beyond reputeRackemep has a reputation beyond reputeRackemep has a reputation beyond repute
 
Rackemep's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 695
vCash: 1100
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: kingman AZ
   
11-04-2016, 05:24 PM

I'm shooting with the ultra-skin hards...I like them a lot! My only real gripe would be that they glaze over kind of quick but I made the tip pick part of my pre match routine and don't have anymore glazing issues. I prefer a hard tip as I feel it suits my stroke and style of play...I never could get the cue ball to react the way I wanted with soft tips...also when I have new tips put on I have them shave 30%-40% straight off the top of the tip...I feel that it shortens the break-in time and makes the tip play more consistent throughout its life...if you're on the fence about trying a new tip I say go for it...that's the best way to figure out what you like...


I'm just a bar box banger....but not by choice!
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#3)
Kimmo H.
AzB Silver Member
Kimmo H. has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo H. has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo H. has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo H. has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo H. has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo H. has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo H. has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo H. has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo H. has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo H. has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo H. has a reputation beyond repute
 
Kimmo H.'s Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 580
vCash: 500
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Finland
   
11-07-2016, 03:45 AM

You should definitely try a harder tip. I play a lot better with medium or hard tips than I do with soft tips, more feel for me and easier to control finesse shots

Maybe start with a medium tip and go up in hardness if you like harder feel better.
I prefer medium tips, Kamui Original is a good solid choise if you like your current Kamui tip. Zans are excellent aswell but both are pretty expensive at around 20$ a pop.

I personally play with a Milkdud that member pooldawg8 here on AzB sells and it is by far the best medium / hard tip I have ever had and they are really cheap aswell, 3$ a piece if my memory serves me right
Try one if you can, many members here swear by them and I love them aswell. Takes a few hours of play to properly set after the initial install but after that they require almost no maintenance and dont glaze like laminated tips tend to.


Best of luck to you finding what works for you, I went through a ton of different tips, worth several hundreds of bucks trying to find what I like the best, hopefully you'll find yours a bit quicker


Mezz
- CP13SW-MD
- Kai / Pro R
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#4)
Lockbox
AzB Silver Member
Lockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 57
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Sep 2016
   
11-07-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmo H. View Post
You should definitely try a harder tip. I play a lot better with medium or hard tips than I do with soft tips, more feel for me and easier to control finesse shots

Maybe start with a medium tip and go up in hardness if you like harder feel better.
I prefer medium tips, Kamui Original is a good solid choise if you like your current Kamui tip. Zans are excellent aswell but both are pretty expensive at around 20$ a pop.

I personally play with a Milkdud that member pooldawg8 here on AzB sells and it is by far the best medium / hard tip I have ever had and they are really cheap aswell, 3$ a piece if my memory serves me right
Try one if you can, many members here swear by them and I love them aswell. Takes a few hours of play to properly set after the initial install but after that they require almost no maintenance and dont glaze like laminated tips tend to.


Best of luck to you finding what works for you, I went through a ton of different tips, worth several hundreds of bucks trying to find what I like the best, hopefully you'll find yours a bit quicker
Hi. I just wanted to say I really appreciate the advice here. I am debating trying a new tip now or just getting a new cue and them experimenting. We'll see.

Thank you again!
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#5)
mister__p
AzB Bronze Member
mister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 38
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Feb 2014
   
05-14-2018, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockbox View Post
I'm just starting out in the pool world and this has been on my mind. Recently, I played a tournament where some of the best players "appeared" to have hard tips (they were either hard or really worn down).

In any event, although preferences are many, what hardness tip do you play with and why? Any brand recommendations?

I personally play with the tips that came with my cues - Kamui soft. I feel like i'm not getting as much "feel" as I would with a medium tip and am considering changing. However, I don't feel like i'm 'good' enough to make that jump yet. Any input from anyone here?

Thanks!
Please do not forget your tip will compact with time so your soft tip will transition to a medium and perhaps even hard if you use it long enough.

All my pred shafts came with Everest mediums which I liked. The tip on one particular shaft which I used the most ended up becoming very hard to the point miscues crept in (and I never miscue). As a replacement, I put on a kamui soft which I expect will harden over time and last me many hundreds of hours.

As for feel, does your cue have a wrap? I dislike wraps as they mute the feeling. Nothing beats a no-wrap butt where you can feel everything regardless of what the tip is. My 2 cents
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#6)
bbb
AzB Gold Member
bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 5,913
vCash: 1700
iTrader: 33 / 100%
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: Mar 2008
   
05-14-2018, 05:42 PM

i have not read all the posts
i am sorry
but these thrrads on what tip do you like or recommend
are like asking
which girl in the line up should i marry
or
which dessert should i get
ONLY YOU KNOW WHAT WORKS FOR YOU
TRIAL AND ERROR FOR WHAT WORKS FOR YOU
icbw

Last edited by bbb; 05-15-2018 at 06:29 AM.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#7)
mister__p
AzB Bronze Member
mister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 38
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Feb 2014
   
05-14-2018, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb View Post
i have not read all the posts
i am sorry
but these thrrads on what tip do you like or recommend
are like asking
which girl in the line up should i marry
or
which dessert should i ge
ONLY YOU KNOW WHAT WORKS FOR YOU
TRIAL AND ERROR FOR WHAT WORKS FOR YOU
icbw
No offense but I do not see any harm in others asking such questions. If you think the thread is silly, you don't have to read it.

There are many people out there who are new to the game and/or do not have deep pockets and therefore prefer to seek advice rather than buying/trying everything.

There are also many seasoned players on this forum who I am sure do not mind sharing their knowledge/experience.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#8)
GoldCrown
Be Creative...play 1P
GoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond repute
 
GoldCrown's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 5,245
vCash: 500
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Join Date: May 2011
   
05-16-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb View Post
i have not read all the posts
i am sorry
but these thrrads on what tip do you like or recommend
are like asking
which girl in the line up should i marry
or
which dessert should i get
ONLY YOU KNOW WHAT WORKS FOR YOU
TRIAL AND ERROR FOR WHAT WORKS FOR YOU
icbw
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister__p View Post
No offense but I do not see any harm in others asking such questions. If you think the thread is silly, you don't have to read it.

There are many people out there who are new to the game and/or do not have deep pockets and therefore prefer to seek advice rather than buying/trying everything.

There are also many seasoned players on this forum who I am sure do not mind sharing their knowledge/experience.
I agree with bbb but to express it differently ....tips are so personalized they have to played with to see if it fits. I tried tips that were suggested to me and did not like them. Currently I like soft tips and use Triangle($.85) and Predator Victory tip.($25.00). How it plays on my cue and how they play on other cues it's hard to compare. Asking what tip to use is like asking what weight cue should I play with. I would say Test drive a few or simply get one installed and see how out works out. But to answer the OP.....start with soft...but there are many soft tips. I like Predator soft...or UltraSkin soft pr Triangle. If my shots & position are off it's me not the tip. Have fun and experiment.




Player: Schon H4L w/ REVO
Case:JB 4/8 Hybrid
Favorite Game...Pocket a Piece
Instructional source: "One Pocket...A Game of Controlled Aggression" by Tom Wirth. This book is a players best friend.
1P Instructor: Tom Wirth
Stroke Instructor: Scott Lee
Honorary member TCC
I need more cues like a snail needs airbrakes

Last edited by GoldCrown; 05-16-2018 at 07:33 PM.
  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.