New School Billiards Program!! LSMSA (Louisiana School for Math Science and the Arts)

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Hey guys and gals.

Recently i had a very nice 10ft snooker table given to me a mint Gandy Super G (Marcus Norwood/forcefollow his mother and father gave it to me). I have no room for it and I the school had been talking with me about going up there to give some lectures and demonstrations and such on pool/billiards.

Great school, really good teachers and such. The kids live on a college campus from 10-12th grade. Some of the brightest young minds we have in Louisiana go there....I went there, I'm not sure why they let me in :cool:

Well over talks with them I decided to donate the table to the school and we are going to start up a billiards program.

Eventually the table will be converted into a pool table....if the money gets donated or whatever RKC will show up to do that when we are ready in the future.....havent spoken to him but yea....lol tell him the greyone needs to speak with him :)

Anyways this is just a quick memo to all of my old friends on here, and the new ones i havent gotten to get to know as of yet. We are looking to get some nice house cues, some cloth, light, balls, rack, tips etc.

I'll even take cues that didn't make the cut in makers shops that the points aren't right or whatever makes you want to not sell them....no one would know who made anything I will keep that confidential as you would be doing a service as I'm sure it would be much better than a house cue. I will also take partially finished shafts and butts and complete it for them myself.

Please if anyone wants to donate anything can you just post up what you would like to give on this thread. That way people dont donate the same thing 3 times over lol.

I have much much more to talk about on the subject, but I have some lessons to give tonight and just wanted to give you all a "quick" rundown of whats going down starting off this Friday with disassembling the table and moving it over to the school.

Eventually there will be live streamed lessons and I would like to get the other traveling instructors to stop on in when they are crossing through the state.....room and dinner would be provided for anyone stopping by to donate their time and experience/knowledge...which is also why we are going to be getting this set up for live streaming and instructional video streaming for the kids to have access to and the teacher and resident advisors will be working directly with me since i wont be there day to day....long live the power of the interent lol

If anyone wants to reach me personally on the phone give me a call anytime (be quickest way of contact) 3183327240.....if i dont respond within a day or two that means I'm most likely on a callout in the Gulf of Mexico for work, then just email me keebie2@yahoo.com or private message me here.

regards,
Grey Ghost (keebie fleniken for those who possibly do not know my name):wink:

Last edited:

ProZack

Zack's "On the Road" Cue Repair
Silver Member
Louisiana?

Where in Louisiana?

I may be able donate some time and good information!

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Where in Louisiana?

I may be able donate some time and good information!

the school is in Natchitoches, Louisiana. Its on the campus of Northwestern State University......oldest town in louisiana purchase....known for their meat pies and christmas festival. 2.5 hours north of Lafayette and an hour south of Shreveport on I-49. Louisiana sports hall of fame is there as well and a pretty nice old restored downtown front street that follows the cane river, brick road and everything.

LSMSA's facilities are the original buildings that made up the NSU campus and dorms, all have been redone over the years. Schools been there around thirty years. Plans are to expand in a few years hopefully oil prices wont push that back.

http://www.lsmsa.edu/

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
"The mission of LSMSA is to foster in its young scholars lifelong growth toward reaching individual potentialities and toward finding places of work and service in a global society through the examination and exchange of ideas in a community of learners."

in short its a public high school think tank. Chaos theory, origins of slang language, chinese, latin, loads of computer classes from programming languages to design, sports like Kempo, fencing, lacrosse, golf and swimming.

Living there as a student is the real life version of the 80's movie "Real Genius" with Val Kilmer lol....kids away from home, all exceptionally smart and many exceptionally eccentric. After going there I didn't get a similar feeling about a place untill Portland and San Francisco lol...the whole peoples strangeness following their genius everything humming with alot of energy.

I think the motto for the program will be

"Teaching the bright young minds of today to be the hustlers of tomorrow"
:cool:;):thumbup: just kidding.

Just a great place for this. Many of the kids who come out of there end up being movers and shakers in their chosen industries. The door could eventually blow wide open with something like this one day....just takes one person to have an idea. Could be someone ends up designing better equipment, develops new ways for providing streaming content in an easier fashion, new business models for the sport/industry......WHO KNOWS.

What i do know is that the possibilities are basically limitless. The only thing that keeps this place from not being the best spot to instill a program like this is that its not in some major billiards hub in a large city like NYC with tons of top players and coaches available.

No worries though this place has tech tho out the yang...and what I or we dont know what or how to do, I can dam well guarantee that one of those kids or a faculty member will know or have the idea that makes it happen for certain to move it forward, make it better, have more involved in a simpler more efficient manner so everyones time, experience and knowledge is used to its fullest wether its me and you or one of those students. :cool::thumbup:

I'm sure this may even spill over onto the college and maybe it could get its own team. Go play nationals.

Didn't everyone get the memo? Everyone enjoys to play pool. Its not just one pocket like Strawberry said...the whole games a disease and there aint no cure!

-regards,
Keeb'

Last edited:

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Please keep us informed on your progress. It all sounds very interesting.

Let me know when the billiards program is part of the curriculum.

Thanks,

JoeyA

P.S. BTW, thanks for caring enough about pool to be involved in doing this.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Please keep us informed on your progress. It all sounds very interesting.

Let me know when the billiards program is part of the curriculum.

Thanks,

JoeyA

P.S. BTW, thanks for caring enough about pool to be involved in doing this.

will do joey

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
bump

table is set up and going to be leveling off slate next weekend.

more info coming

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great, great idea, and I wish this program all the success in the world. Louisiana is actually a good location for this program, I think.

As soon as we get our funds in order in the McCready household, we will donate product for the cause.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
1969 Gandy "Super G" 10' American Snooker Table. Moved over to the school by the students and pe teacher along with my parents and I.

I handeled the install myself over two weekends with a handy dandy offshore tool bag (veto pro pack teck pack!!!! the nuts) and 3 starett 4,6,8" machinist levels.

The kids moved the table in pieces up two flights of stairs....by them selves with 6-8 of them.....i said its yours....you hike it up there....be careful, you break it i may not be able to repair it and this is DOA possibly.

After they got it up I looked at them and said "i dont care what Obama may say, YOU did this!"

Then builder of all things nice and beautiful grandmaster fleniken got his butt to work....and it was good!!!!

regards,
-Keeb

Attachments

• 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 416
the school is in Natchitoches, Louisiana. Its on the campus of Northwestern State University......oldest town in louisiana purchase....known for their meat pies and christmas festival. 2.5 hours north of Lafayette and an hour south of Shreveport on I-49. Louisiana sports hall of fame is there as well and a pretty nice old restored downtown front street that follows the cane river, brick road and everything.

LSMSA's facilities are the original buildings that made up the NSU campus and dorms, all have been redone over the years. Schools been there around thirty years. Plans are to expand in a few years hopefully oil prices wont push that back.

http://www.lsmsa.edu/

I am curious if many kids have an interest in pool these days. I would be surprised if the program got much attention, but I hope many kids do love the game of pool. The interest in pool (to the younger people) seemed to have died a long time ago. I may be completely wrong.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Now you just have to learn how to play snooker. :grin:

JoeyA

1969 Gandy "Super G" 10' American Snooker Table. Moved over to the school by the students and pe teacher along with my parents and I.

I handeled the install myself over two weekends with a handy dandy offshore tool bag (veto pro pack teck pack!!!! the nuts) and 3 starett 4,6,8" machinist levels.

The kids moved the table in pieces up two flights of stairs....by them selves with 6-8 of them.....i said its yours....you hike it up there....be careful, you break it i may not be able to repair it and this is DOA possibly.

After they got it up I looked at them and said "i dont care what Obama may say, YOU did this!"

Then builder of all things nice and beautiful grandmaster fleniken got his butt to work....and it was good!!!!

regards,
-Keeb

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
I got your grandpa, right here. :eek:

JoeyA

wider open eyes dont equal better vision Mr. A....if that were the case we wouldn't have any trouble with beating the eastern boys in a game o pool;)

here ya go old friend....this should do ya....kinda like earls, in a 3am infomercial kind of way.

-grey

Attachments

• 64f766843a249a0af82892b365130307.jpg
    64f766843a249a0af82892b365130307.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 253