great article: one of pittsburgh's finest

SKILLZELITE

Universality
Gold Member
Silver Member
:Golden Cue:

Good read,, Marino has 1 of the best Pool rooms in the Pittsburgh area..
Ive had some good times out Golden cue,, some bad times as well, none the less its a laid back ,comfortable environment ,, prices are fair , and Action is relatively easy to find on the weekends..

If you're a Pool player visiting, or new to the Pittsburgh area ,"South Hills Golden Cue" is your kind of place.. :wink:

SKILLZELITE

Universality
Gold Member
Silver Member
84-2012

True,but its 2012 ,and "Breakers" is the best pool hall in Pittsburgh..
They host the biggest local tournaments, a wide variety of billiard events , which bring in out of towners. The quality of their tables, are simply the best, they got the best Action, and best social atmosphere as far as Billiard parlours in Pittsburgh go.

I like SHGC, but prefer Breakers.

jcs003

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yea but that's from "84" and you can drop the "one of" from that opening:smile:

im obviously aware of the year. its an archived article. none the less its nice to know we dont just breed some of the best quarterbacks, we have a great pool player in our ranks.

jcs003

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
True,but its 2012 ,and "Breakers" is the best pool hall in Pittsburgh..
They host the biggest local tournaments, a wide variety of billiard events , which bring in out of towners. The quality of their tables, are simply the best, they got the best Action, and best social atmosphere as far as Billiard parlours in Pittsburgh go.

I like SHGC, but prefer Breakers.

breakers is a great pool hall but its lack of parking accomidations keep some players away. but its nice to play on tables with pockets that accept the balls easily. SGC has a ball return set-up and its not uncommon to have a few balls rejected when its needed to let your stroke out.

lukemindish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
breakers is a great pool hall but its lack of parking accomidations keep some players away. but its nice to play on tables with pockets that accept the balls easily. SGC has a ball return set-up and its not uncommon to have a few balls rejected when its needed to let your stroke out.

The Golden Cues pockets are HUGE and those tables do nothing for your game. In my opinion the best practice is going to breakers and playing on table 2 or 10. Tightest pockets around.

Marie's husband

Cue It Up Promotions
Silver Member
The Golden Cues pockets are HUGE and those tables do nothing for your game. In my opinion the best practice is going to breakers and playing on table 2 or 10. Tightest pockets around.

Didnt RKC just replace those two tables with the new Diamond tops with the new rails that Diamond has corrected?

Also, think Shanes table has the tightest pockets in Pittsburgh...

jcs003

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

this isnt accurate information. the pocket sizes are smaller than most breakers tables. table 15 at SGC, for example, is a triple shimmed table and the stadium table in the rear of the room is double shimmed. the problem with golden cues table is the ball return style pockets. they reject balls on occasion.

SKILLZELITE

Universality
Gold Member
Silver Member
I Agree to a degree.

Didnt RKC just replace those two tables with the new Diamond tops with the new rails that Diamond has corrected?

But its one thing to have tight pockets on a table with great felt which plays fast, its another to play on a table with tight pockets, where the felt is sluggish ..

SHGC has a few tables with tight pockets as well , but they're in the same boat as Steel city, being that there tables are 3 piece GCs

In my opinion, if a table has tight pockets ,the bed better play fast as well..

Otherwise you have to hit harder than normal ,and be very accurate.. Hitting hard, and accurate is possible ,but for the most part they don't fluently mix.

Even if the exact Simonis cloth was on Brunswick GCs, and a Diamond Smart, Diamond would still play better, due to 1 piece and Artemis cushions..
Steel City Billiards has tight pockets, but the beds as a 3 piece will never be as smooth ,as the Diamonds @ Breakers.

The newer Diamonds allow you to keep a fluent ,even stroke through out an entire rack usually.. Its relatively easy to get around on a Diamond with minimal power, which in turn means more accuracy, being that you don't have to bridge long, which may allow for a higher error risk.

The tighter pockets/deep shelves work well on Diamonds because they play fast, which I believe has to do with smart tables being a 1 piece slate, and also having great quality Cushions..

Last edited:

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
Jimmy Marino

Couple of photo's of Jimmy from his younger days.

Wedge

Attachments

• JimM.jpg
    JimM.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 312
  • Marino.jpg
    Marino.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 307

BrokeStroke

I need the wild 2.
Silver Member
I enjoy Jimmy when he critiques my playing using words like 'You' and 'Suck'. Usually in that order.

jcs003

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But its one thing to have tight pockets on a table with great felt which plays fast, its another to play on a table with tight pockets, where the felt is sluggish ..

SHGC has a few tables with tight pockets as well , but they're in the same boat as Steel city, being that there tables are 3 piece GCs

In my opinion, if a table has tight pockets ,the bed better play fast as well..

Otherwise you have to hit harder than normal ,and be very accurate.. Hitting hard, and accurate is possible ,but for the most part they don't fluently mix.

Even if the exact Simonis cloth was on Brunswick GCs, and a Diamond Smart, Diamond would still play better, due to 1 piece and Artemis cushions..
Steel City Billiards has tight pockets, but the beds as a 3 piece will never be as smooth ,as the Diamonds @ Breakers.

The newer Diamonds allow you to keep a fluent ,even stroke through out an entire rack usually.. Its relatively easy to get around on a Diamond with minimal power, which in turn means more accuracy, being that you don't have to bridge long, which may allow for a higher error risk.

The tighter pockets/deep shelves work well on Diamonds because they play fast, which I believe has to do with smart tables being a 1 piece slate, and also having great quality Cushions..

i agree that diamond tables play better. one benefit is the rails are more lively than gold crowns so its easy to get around the table. those hard gold crown rails make it necessary to stroke the cue ball harder at times and rely often on a draw stroke which we all know can sometimes get us into trouble. i have lobbied for a few diamonds at SHGC but that will never happen if we cant get the pockets fixed.

thanks for the pics wedge.

lukemindish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

yes he just recovered table 5 and 13 with Diamonds new rails as well. And as for shanes table having the tightest pockets in PGH thats not true. I am one of Shanes very good friends and I play on that table a lot. His table is tight, but breakers have the edge.

lukemindish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this isnt accurate information. the pocket sizes are smaller than most breakers tables. table 15 at SGC, for example, is a triple shimmed table and the stadium table in the rear of the room is double shimmed. the problem with golden cues table is the ball return style pockets. they reject balls on occasion.

And thats two tables out of how many there, the rest of those tables pockets are absolutely buckets!

jcs003

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And thats two tables out of how many there, the rest of those tables pockets are absolutely buckets!

lets agree to disagree. i play at both pool halls and i am confident the majority of tables at either place are about the same.