Why 8 Ball ?

Saturated Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Checkers? Chess? Backgammon?

I often think that 8 ball is a lot like backgammon. In both games, it is possible to get so far ahead that the opponent becomes the favorite if you fail to get out.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those are the same balls they use in the southern Netherlands on 6 footers with 8-9 cm (3.1-3.5 in) pockets. Talk about a crowded table.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Same ball set/colors --- different size though.

They use the 2" version on those tables vs our 2.25".

Still a tad crowded though 😁

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nine ball tells you what to do. In eight ball you tell it what you want to do.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You heard right!

I can agree that 8b is better than no pool. I love pool, but I find the rotation game more challenging and exciting.

8b fails to punish mediocre play, and alone, will not develop a strong stroke.

I hear the "checkers/chess" analogy with 9b/8b all the time, but I think a better analogy would be -
9b is like player golf on a tough 9 hole course, and 8b is 18 holes of putt-putt.

A "C" player will get out at a higher rate in 8b, than in 9b or 10b.

A player will advance to a certain level with 8b alone, but will struggle to push their game to a higher level.
For this reason it is "the" novice game.
But I love it for this, it brings people into billiards.

I believe some of my dislike towards playing 8b stems from the leagues being the major outlet for pool in most areas.
I therefore, if I wish to participate in the local pool scene, must play 8b on horrid tables, with players who can't, or are too lazy, to give me a decent rack, and who although playing in their league for the past 15 years, are still ignorant of basic billiard rules (I've given up trying to explain double hit fouls).

But as the saying goes "a bad day at pool, beats a good day at work."

Very well said!

raise1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
8-Ball is harder, at the top level, than 9-Ball.

Take the IPT Tour as an example, or fact. Iirc, the biggest package was only something like a 5-6. Whereas in 9-Ball, it's not uncommon for a pro to have a 5-6 package.

AF pool guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Same ball set/colors --- different size though.

They use the 2" version on those tables vs our 2.25".

Still a tad crowded though

Sorry you're thinking British blackball, who also use snooker style pockets. The Dutch, at least in the south where I lived, use 57mm/2.25 inch balls with angular cut pockets, just really small. The rules book is here http://www.npb.nl/sites/default/files/NPB Wedstrijdreglement 2015-2016.pdf see page 47, sorry but it is in Dutch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yeah, at the start, then the noose gets tighter and tighter. Thus, why there are LOTS of failed run outs in 8ball. It's more like a chess game. Sometimes you can see your opponent and he shoots well, but then suddenly, you see he's choosing the wrong pattern. I'm sure I've done it myself, once or twice ;)

This is very true RJ, probably another reason 8-ball is my weakest game.

It's also the reason 9-ball and rotation are my strongest, it takes alot of the decision making out of the equation. I made a post recently where I said I don't have a problem with 8-ball anymore and it's a lie. My 8-ball thinking is better but not perfect yet.

Thanks for sparking tangential thinking in me RJ!

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Once in a while I like a game of last pocket 8ball..... at that point I'm playing OnePocket...yeah baby.
Alternatively 1-15 and last pocket out adds a nice twist to 8ball

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
8 Ball, take what you make the most of and no jump cues, is a very tough game. Not as tough as One Pocket to master but tougher than 9 ball for sure.

Ray

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
More 8 ball....

Just finished about 4 hours of 8 Ball at my place with a couple of buddies. Interesting watching other shooters decide on stripes or solids, which shot to take and when to deal with problem balls.

They are 8 Ball shooters and they had more fun then if we had been shooting 9 Ball. So for that reason 8 Ball is a good thing. It gave me a night of fun with 2 buddies!

Last edited:

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member
In my mind it's reason for existence is the same as 7' tables. To make it easier for novices to play.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I like both 8 & 9, but I far prefer 8. Perhaps it cuz I feel I'm better at it. I do enjoy the thinking part of the game, choosing the pattern, then adapting on the fly.

And I play on 9-footers.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Play 8 ball with a really good 14.1 player and you will see a completely different game than what is being mentioned in this thread. A really good 8 ball player does not just bust up a cluster but moves the cluster open with the knowledge of where the clustered balls will move to.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Play 8 ball with a really good 14.1 player and you will see a completely different game than what is being mentioned in this thread. A really good 8 ball player does not just bust up a cluster but moves the cluster open with the knowledge of where the clustered balls will move to.

Great point...there's a video of a match between Bustamante and Reyes where you see them softly nudging clusters open with great control and planning, not just busting them apart; kind of like a flower blooming. They have a plan for where each ball in the cluster is ultimately going to be pocketed, and when. Like in 14.1, just spreading the balls open can close off pockets and routes for the CB.

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
In reference to breaking up clusters: Back when the SBE open amateur tournament was 8 ball, Shaun Wilkie and Shane Morrow had some very impressive break-outs and runs. If anyone needs the Youtube links I'll be glad to post. Wilkie is a good 14.1 player.

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I enjoy playing 8 ball, but the one thing I notice is how does your opponent play the game. Does he make the right decision, does he just run into balls with no idea what's going to happen, is he always looking for a shot no matter how low percentage. These things effect the game. It took a while but some of the guys I play with have learned that there may be a better alternative than a low percentage shot. Makes the game more challenging.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
8ball seems to be the only game ive ever seen non serious players play

That and one couple that adopted some 9 ball from the Wii type rules
Adding up the balls numbers to score points?