McDermott shaft

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
For what ever reason, it isn't seen very often. I have shot with an I-3 shaft and can say that it is a softer hit than the G-Core. I liked it. Comparable to the Tiger X-Pro. I would imagine the I-2 is comparable tot he Predator 314 and Tiger X. McDermott builds their stuff to last.

Lesh

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's your take on the McDermott I2 intimidator shaft?
Thanks in advance.

The I2 is a very well made shaft. Extremely solid, and McDermott shafts are finished to perfection. If you like the way it plays it will serve you well. This shaft is solid and incorporates carbon fiber technology that make it very warp resistant.

Good luck.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I never got the chance to properly try this shaft. I'm curious about it as well. All my friends with McDermotts have either regular maple or G-core shafts, so I'd have to buy it to try it.

I wonder if it's as stiff as my Mezz WD-700? I really like the Mezz, but some times I wish it would hit even harder and stiffer, I must be nuts, right?

supergreenman

truly addicted
Silver Member
I use the I2 for my regular playing shaft. At first I found it light in the front end. I didn't find that to be a big deal and got used to it quite fast.

Pretty good shaft.

ArizonaPete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At the present time back problems prevent me from shooting pool. But I still own some cues and both the McDermott I-2 and the I-3. I played with the I-2 for a couple of months until I bought the I-3 which I prefer. The I-2 has a 12.75mm Kamui soft tip and has a standard taper. The I-3 has a 11.75mm Kamui super soft tip and has a European taper. I shot with the I-3 for a couple of years and prefer it because of the small tip diameter. Allows me to strike the cue ball with geometric accuracy and apply the right amount of English at the right spot. The I series shafts come with a free maintenance bonus. I've sent them back for service and they cleaned and refinished the shaft plus installed a new Kamui tip at no charge. There is a $21 handling fee. I've sent both shafts in at the same time and only paid one $21 fee. In my opinion, it's a great shaft. I've shot with other low inflection shafts but would take the I-3 over them anytime.

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh, I might add that I disagree with your assertion that they are not seen very often, at least on AzB. Lots of people who list their equipment in their posting use McD stuff, including I-2's. I just think that it's not really cool on Az to brag about or support McD in general because they are considered a "mass production" cue. To me, that has no direct bearing on the quality of build, component and wood quality, or fit and finish of the company's products.[/QUOTE]

It may be a function of advertising as well. There was a time when McDermott was a major sponsor of all big pool tournaments, as well as the sponsor for many players.

Seems like McDermott pulled out of sponsoring the sport around the same time as Brunswick. But make no mistake they build a fine product today, just as fine as ever.

It may not be as cool to associate yourself with McDermott because so many younger people are simply not aware of their history and build quality.

Every young player today knows about Predator and many think they are actually the highest quality of cues available today. However Predator is not only a large mass production company, but there product is made in China.

McDermott name products are made here in the USA and their service is fantastic - absolutely no comparison to an outfit like Predator.

Thanks for your informative post.

Good rolls.

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder if it's as stiff as my Mezz WD-700? I really like the Mezz, but some times I wish it would hit even harder and stiffer, I must be nuts, right?

No, I played for a long time with the 700 and felt the same way.

Then I found peace with myself when I went to a maple shaft. The transition was hell but I came out of the heart of darkness better than ever.

CMarshall

D player at best
Silver Member
I take it this shaft is not very popular?

I guess you didn't get the memo?

Here's just a few of the prerequisites for AZB membership:

~ No "production cues" allowed
~ You cannot use an aiming system
~ You can NOT play in any league

It helps if you've know SVB since he was a child and you helped change his diapers and/or you taught Earl Strickland a thing or two when he was knee high to a grass hopper. You also must have pictures or video evidence to back up your statements.

You're welcome!
:thumbup:

Last edited:

splash

mcdermott shaft

Thanks for the input. I'm startng to play again after a 30 yr. layoff, I live near Mcdermott and tried a few of their ques. I like the G2 and am just trying to get some input of what others thought. Not easy coming back but I sure enjoy practicing. A lot of info on AZ, its a one stop shopping, news, gossip and ALL the latest info. Some of you guys could write your own columns. LMAO
Thanks again.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since I`m fortunate to try such a wide variety of shafts, due to the fact that i sell and repair quite a few cues a year. I have tried almost every production shaft out there in all kinds of tip and butt combinations.
I used to play with the McDermott i3, the 11.75mm version and found it to be a very good shaft, but for many people it`s slightly too stiff and the the short ferrule gives it a fairly distinct ping sound when you use lots of english.
The i2 is very much the same, but with a more agreeable 12.75mm tip diameter.
Another reason the i shafts are uncommon is that they really aren`t that much of LD performer.
If you like a firm shaft, but still want a long taper, and your not fooled by the LD hype, the i shafts from McDermott are fine shafts, the price is pretty nice too. Now they even come with a Kamui Black Soft tip.

Magnumsk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh, I might add that I disagree with your assertion that they are not seen very often, at least on AzB. Lots of people who list their equipment in their posting use McD stuff, including I-2's. I just think that it's not really cool on Az to brag about or support McD in general because they are considered a "mass production" cue. To me, that has no direct bearing on the quality of build, component and wood quality, or fit and finish of the company's products.

It may be a function of advertising as well. There was a time when McDermott was a major sponsor of all big pool tournaments, as well as the sponsor for many players.

Seems like McDermott pulled out of sponsoring the sport around the same time as Brunswick. But make no mistake they build a fine product today, just as fine as ever.

It may not be as cool to associate yourself with McDermott because so many younger people are simply not aware of their history and build quality.

Every young player today knows about Predator and many think they are actually the highest quality of cues available today. However Predator is not only a large mass production company, but there product is made in China.

McDermott name products are made here in the USA and their service is fantastic - absolutely no comparison to an outfit like Predator.

Thanks for your informative post.

Good rolls.[/QUOTE]

As someone who recently picked up pool and chose McDermott as my first two cues (GS 6 with Stinger jump/break & G229C2 w/ a G-Core shaft), I appreciate your post. Gauging from the posts here, I thought I'd bought the unwanted orphan of cues. I've enjoyed the play from these cues. I haven't used an i-2 or i-3 yet. But my game isn't to the place where I think I'd benefit from it, either.

JohnInNH

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's your take on the McDermott I2 intimidator shaft?
Thanks in advance.

I prefer the I3 shaft (11.75 vs 12.75) because of the softer hit and consistency.

The I3 shaft is the best shaft on the market for playability, just my opinion.

In any case you can't go wrong with McDermott products.

Good luck,

John

splash

Mcdermott shaft

I got my Mcdermott que with the I2 shaft. After a 30yr layoff and not having much to compare it with ( which may be a good thing) I really like the feel and the touch. I like the warranty, people were grea, Now its just practice, practice.
Thanks again for the input
Jim

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
I guess you didn't get the memo?

Here's just a few of the prerequisites for AZB membership:

~ No "production cues" allowed
~ You cannot use an aiming system
~ You can NOT play in any league

It helps if you've know SVB since he was a child and you helped change his diapers and/or you taught Earl Strickland a thing or two when he was knee high to a grass hopper. You also must have pictures or video evidence to back up your statements.

You're welcome!
:thumbup:

Crap - I left my camera bag in Efren's trunk ... be back once I retrieve it.