mcdermott g core vs players hxt shaft comparison

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
I have done a search and read the threads but I wanted to post again to garner any recent opinions on the following.

I currently play with a 12.75 players hxt shaft that has no collars on a sneaky pete made from schmelke. It has two shafts and one is slightly off center resulting in a high/low side on the shaft when connected to the butt. I wanted to duplicate this setup on a new sneaky pete from a reputable maker but sourcing 12.75mm hxt partials seems to be impossible at this time. Does anyone have experience shooting with both of these shafts and want to lay out any wisdom on how they compare? I know the g core is not marketed as low deflection, but considering the reviews of how middle of the road the hxt is, I was thinking they may be very similar after all. Or does anyone have any suggestions for middle of the road deflection shafts? I am specifically looking at production shafts for their availability (or lack thereof in the hxt case), and standardization so that if I want another shaft it's not dependent on a maker. Thanks for any replies and advice.

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played with both shafts, but on different cues. G-Core have a better feel in my opinion. HXT shaft is a basic maple shaft with a special (low deflection) ferrule, G-core have much more technology inside. For middle deflection shafts, I also will recommend Tiger Ultra X shaft and Mezz WX700.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have done a search and read the threads but I wanted to post again to garner any recent opinions on the following.

I currently play with a 12.75 players hxt shaft that has no collars on a sneaky pete made from schmelke. It has two shafts and one is slightly off center resulting in a high/low side on the shaft when connected to the butt. I wanted to duplicate this setup on a new sneaky pete from a reputable maker but sourcing 12.75mm hxt partials seems to be impossible at this time. Does anyone have experience shooting with both of these shafts and want to lay out any wisdom on how they compare? I know the g core is not marketed as low deflection, but considering the reviews of how middle of the road the hxt is, I was thinking they may be very similar after all. Or does anyone have any suggestions for middle of the road deflection shafts? I am specifically looking at production shafts for their availability (or lack thereof in the hxt case), and standardization so that if I want another shaft it's not dependent on a maker. Thanks for any replies and advice.

Between those two I would go with the McDermott.

However, for about the same you can get a pechauer JP version in 12.75. They, IMO are middle of the road in deflection, are very close to the same price point but will perform much, much better.

Pechauer has always used very high quality materials even on their lower-end cues which is very uncommon.

Top shelf companies are good like that......

Rake

icucybe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play with a G core 12.5 shaft for the last 5 years and love it. I tried Predators including the REVO and haven't noticed that much difference in adjustment. I play on both 7ft & 9ft, 9ball and 8ball. For the money you can't go wrong with it; I would love to buy a Revo, 314-3, Z3, or Cynergy 15k but I can't justify the extra money since I play just as good with the Gcore. Whatever I need to improve is not bc I need a new Shaft, G-Core is a great value shaft IMHO.

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
Thanks to all for the replies so far. I should have clarified - since these shafts will be collarless on a sneaky pete setup, shafts need to be solid maple and not spliced for durability reasons. It seems like g-core is favorable from the comments so far, which is good news concerning availability.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't think the G Core shafts are made to be low deflection, and I did not like the hit on them at all. I have two HXT shafts and prefer them both to a G Core. The OB thicker shafts are pretty good for a LD shaft that is not too LD. There are also many custom cue makers that make LD shafts and can make one to your preference.

I have had a handful of shafts done by a cuemaker that is near me, some 29" a few 30" with different tapers and diameters, may be a good idea to check on something like that for you.