Cue review question

Calzican

Registered
First a little history about my game I began like alot of players I guess and started off with a Meucci as my first cue. I played various models for about 6 years then eventually bought a Schon. I actually Jerry rigged it with a couple washers in the butt end to give me that Meucci weight bolt in the butt feel haha. I've been playing this same cue for years now replaced shafts once or twice but now I'm interested in retiring it and purchasing something new. I'm really interested in Mezz cues I like the plain ebony model with maple points. I think Mika and Ga Kim plays the Mezz. Here's my problem I don't live within probably 200 miles of a dealer so as I could try any new cues out. Has anyone here played the Mezz cues or have any input?

Another question couldn't you buy a Mezz cue at Kmart years ago for like $30?
Thanks

jimmy91988

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mezz cues are great. Top quality cues which have always commanded a high price. I think you're mistaking Mezz cues for Mizerak cues which are around $50.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First a little history about my game I began like alot of players I guess and started off with a Meucci as my first cue. I played various models for about 6 years then eventually bought a Schon. I actually Jerry rigged it with a couple washers in the butt end to give me that Meucci weight bolt in the butt feel haha. I've been playing this same cue for years now replaced shafts once or twice but now I'm interested in retiring it and purchasing something new. I'm really interested in Mezz cues I like the plain ebony model with maple points. I think Mika and Ga Kim plays the Mezz. Here's my problem I don't live within probably 200 miles of a dealer so as I could try any new cues out. Has anyone here played the Mezz cues or have any input?

Another question couldn't you buy a Mezz cue at Kmart years ago for like $30?
Thanks

You may have meant "Miz" cue as in Mizerak at Kmart. There is a cue/shaft review section that probably has some info on Mezz stuff, or if you do a search, quite a few people like their cues.

My son just bought a Mezz at SBE, so I spent a few hours at their booth playing with different cues and shafts they have. The Mezz cues with the wavy joints have a stiffer hit than their other joint, would be much stiffer than the Meucci, the wavy joint has a bit stiffer hit than the Schon, the other joint fairly similar. Nice shafts also with good feedback. Our favorite was their carbon fiber shaft, but that depends on what type of shaft you are used to playing with.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You may have meant "Miz" cue as in Mizerak at Kmart. There is a cue/shaft review section that probably has some info on Mezz stuff, or if you do a search, quite a few people like their cues.

My son just bought a Mezz at SBE, so I spent a few hours at their booth playing with different cues and shafts they have. The Mezz cues with the wavy joints have a stiffer hit than their other joint, would be much stiffer than the Meucci, the wavy joint has a bit stiffer hit than the Schon, the other joint fairly similar. Nice shafts also with good feedback. Our favorite was their carbon fiber shaft, but that depends on what type of shaft you are used to playing with.

Does Joints really affect the hit of the cue? I have played with Mezz cues for just over a year and talked to a few cue makers about joints. The Cue Makers said the joint could have a impact on the balance of the cue. But not the hit. I play with a united joint too, which is really just a modified 5/16 X 14.

Just curious as to why a joint would affect the hit, because maybe I should try a wavy pin.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does Joints really affect the hit of the cue? I have played with Mezz cues for just over a year and talked to a few cue makers about joints. The Cue Makers said the joint could have a impact on the balance of the cue. But not the hit. I play with a united joint too, which is really just a modified 5/16 X 14.

Just curious as to why a joint would affect the hit, because maybe I should try a wavy pin.

Well everything in the cue affect the hit feel, vibration passes through the joint. We went through probably 20 cues and 40 shafts in last few years with testing things, same cue model and shaft on different pins felt different. Revo on the Radial felt different than on the Uniloc as one example.

Sara Rousey was at the Mezz booth, she is a Mezz player, and she also said the Wavy joint was too stiff for her to use.

My son got a Wavy jointed one, since it felt better with their carbon fiber shaft than their other joint, but he did not like the wood shafts much on the Wavy joint (basically a tight fitting radial).

Knels

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well everything in the cue affect the hit feel, vibration passes through the joint. We went through probably 20 cues and 40 shafts in last few years with testing things, same cue model and shaft on different pins felt different. Revo on the Radial felt different than on the Uniloc as one example.

Sara Rousey was at the Mezz booth, she is a Mezz player, and she also said the Wavy joint was too stiff for her to use.

My son got a Wavy jointed one, since it felt better with their carbon fiber shaft than their other joint, but he did not like the wood shafts much on the Wavy joint (basically a tight fitting radial).

This is great news, i am not a fan of the wavy into wood, athough i have been successful with it. It comes loose every now and then, making me want to tighten it all the time.
Im counting the days until i get my ignite!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mezz makes awesome cues. IMO they are the finest production cues out there. They make a wide variety of shafts to suit just about all players. I have a AXI-K with an original(and rare) HybridPro shaft. Its is stiff but i like it. Its not as low defl. as some of their other shafts but it plays super good. For most players either the WX-700 or 900 will be great choices. The new WX-Alpha is for those, like me, that prefer a little thicker shaft size. Great cues.

Calzican

Registered
Thanks for the response guys I apologize for posting in wrong thread also.. still kicking the tires on this place. I've been debating between the Mezz cue CP model and a Lucasi Hybrid links below. I like the look of the Lucasi besides the wrap. I'm not big on hit I played Meucci for years and really kinda feel with the right tip a broom handle will hit good. I also like the balance point nearer the butt end so as I feel the weight in my right hand.

https://www.pooldawg.com/product/mezz-zz41-pool-cue

https://supershop.store/products/lu...eAEV9GDIpSVBOsVxdtygGUn6QtRtOTqkaAhmHEALw_wcB

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks... I love my Mezz. Their tech is great. I gotta give them props. I have used about every Shaft Type they have.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks... I love my Mezz. Their tech is great. I gotta give them props. I have used about every Shaft Type they have.

The prices for the Mezz cues was better than I thought they were, quite a few were in the $400 range with nice models for $600. The shaft upgrade to a 900 from a 700 was only $40.

My son first was looking at the $1,700 Mika model with a bunch of inlays with leather wrap but with the extra cost of the carbon fiber shaft it was more than he wanted to spend. The black with tulip wood he bought was a favorite at the booth with the carbon shaft, we were told a lot of people looked at it, and with a carbon shaft cost was same as the Predator models with a Revo.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If your going with a CF shaft, I would recommend pechauer, predator and Mezz and in that order.

Keep in mind, I'm talking pure performance. Resale etc..etc... doesn't matter to me.

YMMV.....

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Thanks for the response guys I apologize for posting in wrong thread also.. still kicking the tires on this place.

You're good. If it has to do with pool, you're in the right forum.

Heck, there is a recent thread about to hit ten pages that has absolutely nothing to do with pool. And another with over twenty million views.

We come here to enjoy ourselves.

Welcome!

Meucciplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the response guys I apologize for posting in wrong thread also.. still kicking the tires on this place. I've been debating between the Mezz cue CP model and a Lucasi Hybrid links below. I like the look of the Lucasi besides the wrap. I'm not big on hit I played Meucci for years and really kinda feel with the right tip a broom handle will hit good. I also like the balance point nearer the butt end so as I feel the weight in my right hand.

Still, you are probably used to the softer hit of a Meucci and a little harder - the Schon.

If I were you I would try those cues first. Coming from a Meucci this may be a strange hit - at least for several weeks to months. I tried a few Predators and I just can't stand that kind of hit. Way too hard for me. Also, Meuccis are weighted towards the rear end more so than a lot of other cues. So, if you are used to that there is another possible irritating feel. (Sure, you can add weight bolts in all of the better cues but it is not quite the same as a cue which starts out rear end heavier). Also, most Meuccis feature thicker butts than some other brands.

Even changing shafts on my Meuccis (Black Dot, The Pro, Ultimate Weapon in that order) threw me back weeks to months. Some people just pick up cues and adjust real fast. Make sure you are one of those.

Else, why haven't you considered buying a Meucci or a Schon again?