custom cue maker in pittsburgh...

jcs003

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
does anyone know if there is a custom cue maker in pittsburgh, PA? i know paul mottey is retired.

thanks,

john

SLIM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do they have to be from the burg?

DZ cues is two hours north of you in erie.

SLIM

jcs003

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i just looked at DZ's web site and seems like a guy worth speaking with. thanks gentlemen.

john

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had heard that the fellow who worked for Mottey was doing some work. Probably should check with Paul at his pool hall.

peterskw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a guy in Pittsburgh named John Williams who makes cues. I don't much about his cues but he does good repair/tip replacement work. I did see his portfolio of cues and he had some very sharp looking cues. Some of his cues have been posted for sale on here.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=162741&highlight=john+williams

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=231884&highlight=john+williams

And the following from Jack Justis:"John Williams - 07-01-2010, 07:39 AM
John Williams is an extremely talented (bordering on genius) individual who at one time worked with Paul Mottey. He usually goes to the SBE and has a few cues to show but I don't think they are for sale.

Jack

JUSTIS CASES "

I can get you John's number if you are interested--He's often at Breaker's in the evening.

Pete

P.S. If you have a certain type or design of cue you are looking for, I might have something similar or know of someone who does (at super low prices!)

Last edited:

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BTW, Ralph Chomer (sp) who owns Blackie's Billiards in Sharon, PA (50 miles North of Pitts) make a nice Sneky Pete. He is probably making custom cues by now. Ralph is a nice guy and does good work. Blackie's is a "real" pool hall, nice people and good monthly tournaments.

Check in at Icebreakers in Austintown, Ohio (West border of Youngstown). There ar a couple of fellows there who do cue repair and who make nice custom cues. I can't remember their names right now but I have seen their work and it is good.

John Williams is the guy I was thinking of. I also have heard that his work is good.

I have had one of Paul Mottey's cues for about 20 years now and would not part with it. If you can come by one there is no better work in my opinion.

Last edited:

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
James White apprenticed with Mottey and has the shop. John Williams also spent time in the shop and makes cues.

JV

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
no hurry. just within in the next 6 months or so i will be wanting to get started on one. any more info on barry?

My sincere apologies, I was making a little joke as Barry Szamboti's waiting list is well beyond long, its no longer possible (as I understand it) to get placed on it. There have been several great suggestions made on this thread.

Good luck.

Thanks again

Kevin

Last edited:

RogerChambers

Straight Pool
Silver Member
Cue Makers near Pittsburgh

Here are a few you can check out:

Mike Martin:
Makes a nice cue and is very reasonable. I have shot with a couple of his cues but never owned one. There is one at the local poolhall Mike made and I can send a photo if you would like to see some of his work. He is a nice guy, a pool player and owner of a poolhall in Youngstown, Ohio.
3303 Mahoning Ave
Youngstown, OH 44509
(330) 270-1744

Another is Steve Crislip:
Custom cuemaker from Ohio. Shane "Action" Jackson, owner of Steel City Billiards and excellent pool player has just ordered a complete custom cue. You can call Shane or reach him on Facebook for more info about Steve Crislip.

Gary Powers
An excellent pool player in his day. Gary does most of the altercation, tip-jobs, shaft work, wraps, etc in my area. I was told he is starting to make custom cues. I cannot attest for them but if interested, I can provide you with a telephone number.

Someone mentioned Ralph Chalmer. I was told Ralph passed away about a year ago. Please, someone prove me wrong and I hope he didn't. Hell of a nice man, good pool player and competitor. :(

Best of luck in your search. Let me know if I can help.

jcs003

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jerry is a great custom cue maker and lives in Warren, PA. Here is his website. Great guy to deal with and very well respected on AZ Billiards!

http://webpages.charter.net/rauenzahncue/

Hope this helps

Wedge

this craftsman also seems promising.

john williams would seem to be the most convenient but anything related to mottey is going to be way out of my price range. i dont know what he does different than others but those cues sure get bought up for alot of money. they are definitely beautiful cues though.

jcs003

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this may also help you fellas help me.

im after a custom similiar to the joss-n7 color of money cue. i had one when i was a kid before my eye issues and that would have some nostalgia for me. now, i am wanting to add some mother of pearl windows in the butt area. i also would like to add some steel rings somewhere and inlay some manufactured diamonds. finally i want the bumper made of polyurethene. here is the background on the custom stuff. mother of pearl inlays: my car and motorcycle both have white diamond paint (cadillac mother of pearl paint). manufactured diamond inlays: i am an engineer in the road construction and mineing industries and we use manufactured diamond in the cutters.(mine will be shiney of course). polyurethene bumper: this is also a material we use in these industries and it continues my theme(its also more durable than rubber. something i can actually make the mold for it myself). steel rings: this is something i incorporated in one of my roller designs to combat excessive wear on rollers when there are belt tracking issues.

i obviously take my work too serious, but i would would have a reminder in my hand to apply the same work ethic to better my game. i appreciate the help.

thank again.