Going from a 7 ft. to a 9 ft.

chas1022

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never really shot on a 9 ft. table till the other night. I haven't shot in awhile, but it was very humbling experience . I find it to be very challenging. Can anyone offer advice for going from 7FT. to 9FT. table?

Mystick Cue Fan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try to get closer to your work than you are used to. on a Bar box you don't have to always be in line and you don't have to get that good on balls. You have to be a bit more precise on a big table.

Tony

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As everybody has said, position play is the key. Your angles will look different, so make sure you take your time looking at the shots (especially slight back cuts into the corners, you will tend to overcut them until you adjust).
The big table is where its at. Im a firm believer that a good 9' player can play very well on a 7 footer..... but it is harder to go up in table size for most folks who have only played the barboxes. Take your time and dont give up, the angles will start looking normal to you soon. And remember to play with pocket speed, or you will rattle alot more shots than you would on the small table.
Chuck

TheConArtist

Daddy's A Butcher
Silver Member
im some what in the same boat, but it vice versa for me, from nine and eight footers to a seven footer. What you will start to like is all the room to move the cueball around, makes the run outs much easier for me i should say, cause if you can play good position and a alright ball pocketer, no clusters or problems you get to feel more freedom of the table. Being some good seven foot players here and they switch to a bigger table then can't really play as they can on a seven footer, which i think is crazy as if you can play good on those tables nine footers should be easy but i think its the extra space on the table, but once they get use to it nine footers become there correct size of tables :D . For me i always find the seven footers harder to play on for me :) , as i guess i am not really a surgeon YET :rolleyes: Just try to get use to alot of green, and don't be affraid to miss, cause i know some shots feel long and tough compared to a table i can almost reach all the way across when leaning over a long shot :D

chas1022 said:
I never really shot on a 9 ft. table till the other night. I haven't shot in awhile, but it was very humbling experience . I find it to be very challenging. Can anyone offer advice for going from 7FT. to 9FT. table?

Yeah.

If you're going from a 7 ft bar table then be prepared for a change in the cueball and how it reacts. Bar tables use heavier or bigger balls and they play differently from a regular standard weight cueball.

Since you have more area to work with on a 9 ft table you get more chances to play zone position. Make use of that.

Corner pockets on a 9 ft table are much less forgiving than on a barbox, plan accordingly and use pocket speed whenever possible. Be aware that the side pockets are easier on a 9 ft table.

Lastly, forget about the size and play.

StormHotRod300

BigSexy
Silver Member
Chas,

PRactice your break. If you can break well on a 9ft and squat your rock, then on a 7ft your break will be amazing!

Learn CB control, and being able to get within a couple inches of where you need to be, so you can make the shot into the pocket your going for.

And your angles are probably the biggest thing, alot of people over cut everything on a 9ft table because they think its needed, when it isnt.

12310bch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
when moving the cue for position up or down the table make sure you roll the cue far enough so you can reach it and not have to use the bridge.

cheesemouse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Being that you have all your experience on the 7' tables it is likely that you play a little jacked-up(not a level stroke), you will need to level out your stroke. You may want to focus on a better follow thru to compensate for those longer pathes the cb will need to travel for positions. It will all come together for you if you put in the time and hit lots of balls, thousands of lots of balls......

pete-biker

Heavy user
Silver Member
12310bch said:
when moving the cue for position up or down the table make sure you roll the cue far enough so you can reach it and not have to use the bridge.

That's true BUT you'll anyway end up in situations that you need the bridge, so practice that too. A lot of players don't do that and are giving away a lot because of that.

chas1022

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
going from 7ft. to 9 ft.

Thanks guys for the advice. I am going to practice the things u guys have said. I have to admit I'm really hooked on playing on 9 ft. tables now. I find it more challenging. Again thanks everyone.

Driller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played only bar tables for about 20+ years. About 2 1/2 years ago I started playing 9 footers. I pretty much refuse to play any bar tables now. The size was not that hard of an adjustment. But the way the cueball reacted took alot of getting used to. It is alot different. If you played good bar tables with clean balls it might not be as much of an adjustment. I played crappy tables with balls that were really dirty.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RiverCity said:
As everybody has said, position play is the key. Your angles will look different, so make sure you take your time looking at the shots (especially slight back cuts into the corners, you will tend to overcut them until you adjust).
The big table is where its at. Im a firm believer that a good 9' player can play very well on a 7 footer..... but it is harder to go up in table size for most folks who have only played the barboxes. Take your time and dont give up, the angles will start looking normal to you soon. And remember to play with pocket speed, or you will rattle alot more shots than you would on the small table.
Chuck

Excellent advice. I have a 9 ft in my basement and after I spend a day at the pool hall on the barboxes I have to adjust my brain back to the 9 ft. Pocket speed is very important.

pete-biker

Heavy user
Silver Member
And, you know, there are a lot different games going on on 9 ft table; either you are:
-drunk
-sober
-betting
-or not

So practice all of those to be able to survive. And, of course, with all those combinations possible.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
HitHrdNDraw said:
rails my son. rails. when you understand what i mean then you a playing on a 9 footer
IMO, you can tell that person who plays on bar tables has spent a considerable amount of useful time on a 9' table just by how he plays patterns and paths off the cushions.

In small table play, a lot of "bar table only" players will play one rail position. In 9' table play, you must have some kind of understanding of playing off the cushions to have any real success.

Fred

ajrack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Different sizes

One day about ten years ago, I played in three tourneys in the same day...at noon> snooker on a regulation 12footer, at 4 pm> I played nine ball on a 9 footer and that night I played 8 ball on a 7 footer!
I had quite a day to adjust to the different equipment...the good news was I kept going DOWN in size. My background of straight pool really helps me to adjust easily. Remember, practice on ANY table will help your game at all times. Obviously, its best to practice on the closest table size before your next game.