The Hustlers, Season 1, Episode 7

Solomon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was trying to figure out what was going on in the "Bad Table Manners" clip because I couldn't get any audio. I'm not taking one side or the other because I really don't know what the argument was about. But if I turned away from the pool table and all of a sudden a pool ball hit me after arguing with someone, I'd probably swing on them.

I'm sure that Greg didn't mean for the pool ball to fly off the table and hit Gary, but from Gary's point of view he turned his back to Greg after an argument and is all of a sudden hit by a pool ball.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All they need to do is shut up and play, but I guess that would make for boring TV. The show makes a few of the people out to be loony's but it all comes out from everyone yacking away in the middle of a set.

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All they need to do is shut up and play, but I guess that would make for boring TV. The show makes a few of the people out to be loony's but it all comes out from everyone yacking away in the middle of a set.

I agree, hang. "To shut up and play" would be truly boring to the viewers.
I don't like my game being represented so as to embolden any
"harmful" stereotypes that are out there already.

Again however, I give credit to the producers for generating a pool product.

This seems like a no-win situation for me personally:
if this show eventually bombs, the pool image the show is trying to evoke goes away.

If it does well, the viewing public will be given a untrue picture of the professional,
artistic, and technical game really is.

Oh, the agony! :)

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What pool product? This is Jerry Springer - the pool hall is irrelevant (except for the stereotypes being perpetuated about pool players).

pj
chgo

What did the stereotype of Tom Cruise spinning a cue like a katana blade do for the sport?
This show is definitely a pool product, and a viable one in this day and age of pool being relegated to espn space filler between NCAA women's softball and spelling bee national finals.

TimKrazyMon

Kid Delicious' Evil Twin
Silver Member
I agree, hang. "To shut up and play" would be truly boring to the viewers.
I don't like my game being represented so as to embolden any
"harmful" stereotypes that are out there already.

Again however, I give credit to the producers for generating a pool product.

This seems like a no-win situation for me personally:
if this show eventually bombs, the pool image the show is trying to evoke goes away.

If it does well, the viewing public will be given a untrue picture of the professional,
artistic, and technical game really is.

Oh, the agony! :)

I'm with ya, boogeyman. Seems like even if pool wins, it loses.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't watched an episode, other than the "Clips."

This show looks like garbage. "Reality TV" is always garbage.

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't watched an episode, other than the "Clips."

This show looks like garbage. "Reality TV" is always garbage.

Although I appreciate the guys getting this on TV, Why The F*** can't pool be presented on television as sophisticated, professional, and without adversary?

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why The F*** can't pool be presented on television as sophisticated, professional, and without adversary?

The same reason Pawn Stars is on the History channel and Teen Mom is on the Music Television channel.

ChicagoJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Amy doesn't need to be so incredibly annoying for the show to be entertaining. She makes it hard to watch.

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
This episode was insane...There was something bad in the air that day and everything went sideways real quick. You'll feel all kinds of ways watching this one.

Atlatlien

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Amy doesn't need to be so incredibly annoying for the show to be entertaining. She makes it hard to watch.

Totally agree. I have told my screen to STFU more than a few times when she's on it. I wish I could mute her but not anything else..

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What did the stereotype of Tom Cruise spinning a cue like a katana blade do for the sport?
This show is definitely a pool product, and a viable one in this day and age of pool being relegated to espn space filler between NCAA women's softball and spelling bee national finals.
May be the biggest misconception in the pool world ,, the APA is what brought the most players by far to the game in those yrs ,,

I've been running a poll the last few weeks with all my workers and contractors ,to see how many have seen the show ,, still looking for the first one

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I stopped by Steinway that day, and did something considered sacrilegious. I had a Pre-Franklin Southwest shaft, that I bought from Emily Duddy's BF, and was playing with it on a SW tribute cue a couple of tables away. They say is there bad mojo when you do stuff like that:D

This episode was insane...There was something bad in the air that day and everything went sideways real quick. You'll feel all kinds of ways watching this one.