When to replace a ferrule?

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lately I've noticed my cue making a strange sound and feel during contact and I'm wondering if it's time for a ferrule replacement. It sort of sounds/feels like the cue is loose at the joint but it's always tight upon inspection. The strange sound/feel rarely occurs, maybe three times per session. It also seems to occur more when my tip wears down low but I never let it wear down all the way to the ferrule.

I've never replaced a ferrule before so I'm not sure how long to wait before doing so. I don't see any obvious cracks in the ferrule but it has a handful of extremely fine lines/scratches which may be hairline cracks.

The cue is custom with a juma ferrule and was produced in 2015. I am the original owner and the ferrule has never been replaced. I play a lot and typically wear out my tip every 2-3 months.

I'd appreciate any advice you could give me, thanks!

djkx1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Seriously through it could also be a tip issue. Sometimes if a tip is coming "unglued" or even delaminating it can make a similar sound. I would have a repairman check it out before assuming its the ferrule.

pooln8r

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi,
I had something similar to this happen on one of my cues. It ended up being a loose weight bolt in the butt of the cue not too far behind the rubber bumper. If the ferrule isn't cracked or loose and the joint is tight I'd check the bolt in the bumper or weight bolt behind it first. If you can't get to those pieces I'd bring it by a local cue maker who can help diagnose the problem.

Good shooting to you!

Kevin

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I have had that noise lately and thought it was my ferrule.

It was the Valley tables in the pool hall that all have, for some reason, loose laminate on the rails and that vibrates somehow from certain shots off the rail. It took me a while to figure it out.

fyi,

Jeff Livingston

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
You work your tip a lot if your going through one every 2-3 months, that’s not necessarily related to play by any means. Cues will change sounds if you let the tip get too thin and also ferrules take on much more impact as the tip gets thinner, also regardless if a ferruleless or ferrules shaft a very thin past due tip is ripe for blowing out a chunk from the shaft or ferrule or cracking when you miscue as more force is directed to the edges when you do.

I’d say once you got to be under 3mm on the shoulder without a pad it’s time to change

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk