Fargorate and "Bar Bangers"

JC

Coos Cues
What is the cutoff above which you are no longer a "banger"?

With a numerical rating system shouldn't we now be able to quantify such things?

JC

Dan Wolfe

Registered
Maybe 300 and below?
Screen Shot 2018-11-20 at 9.49.02 PM.png

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A banger isn’t a number, it’s a playing style. The best bangers are actually better players than many half decent players who aren’t bangers.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
The real good bar table players seem to dislike it, in a handicap/tournament situations they have to give up too many games....one player says Fargo knocks their action. Me, I got caught up in the ''known ability'' grouping/dialogue during my prime. That was the norm before Fargo. Like anything tho, it will take time to work it self out. What I don't see, is if your getting worse as you get older that does NOT seem to apply. What's up with that?

Last edited:

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So what I’ve noticed with Fargo and APA is the following:

9ball
SL9 - Fargo 600+
SL7/8 - Fargo 550-600
SL6 - Fargo 500-550
SL5 - Fargo 400-500
SL4 - Fargo ~300-400

8ball
SL7 - Fargo 550+
SL6 - Fargo 500-550
SL5 - Fargo 400-500
SL4 - Fargo ~300-400

I only compared APA as it’s the most common and easiest comparison to use. Additionally the top SL has a huge margin. I’ve seen a Fargo 730 and 705 rated a SL9 as well as a Fargo 610. 8 ball is even crazier as I’ve seen a Fargo 550, Fargo 610, and Fargo 705 all rated as SL7. Getting back to the question though I think once you approach the SL4/Fargo ~400 you are considered more serious about the game. Pretty spot on with the range Fargo gives you.

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
So what I’ve noticed with Fargo and APA is the following:

9ball
SL9 - Fargo 600+
SL7/8 - Fargo 550-600
SL6 - Fargo 500-550
SL5 - Fargo 400-500
SL4 - Fargo ~300-400

8ball
SL7 - Fargo 550+
SL6 - Fargo 500-550
SL5 - Fargo 400-500
SL4 - Fargo ~300-400

I only compared APA as it’s the most common and easiest comparison to use. Additionally the top SL has a huge margin. I’ve seen a Fargo 730 and 705 rated a SL9 as well as a Fargo 610. 8 ball is even crazier as I’ve seen a Fargo 550, Fargo 610, and Fargo 705 all rated as SL7. Getting back to the question though I think once you approach the SL4/Fargo ~400 you are considered more serious about the game. Pretty spot on with the range Fargo gives you.

I concur with these. Not that it means anything. lol

Josh

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the cutoff above which you are no longer a "banger"?

With a numerical rating system shouldn't we now be able to quantify such things?

JC

Banger? IMO, a banger is someone that knows very little about the games. They have a terrible, choppy stroke, no PSR, they jerk back/forth in backswing transition, raise up on shots whole 9 ........ but are always the first to say "I'm a good player"...

I've known 4s and 5s that I would consider "not bangers", then again, I know some 6s and 7s that "i" consider bangers.

I don't like to use Fargo numbers to determine such things unless they have a certain robustness, as it can be inaccurate until the robustness is there.

JC

Coos Cues
The 300 description is interesting. I guess we play in different leagues. Our lowest rated player is in the 300’s, highest is 696. Average player in our league is definitely over 500.

Have you looked at the roster of your league or are you making an estimate due to a lot of unestablished ratings?

The reason I ask is we have a smallish BCA league here and about 20% of the players are 500 or above and we have been using LMS for a couple years so most everyone is established. 8 out of ten are below 500. Many in the high 400s.

I played in a larger league nearby a couple of years with about 400 players and their situation is about the same as here.

JC

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you looked at the roster of your league or are you making an estimate due to a lot of unestablished ratings?

The reason I ask is we have a smallish BCA league here and about 20% of the players are 500 or above and we have been using LMS for a couple years so most everyone is established. 8 out of ten are below 500. Many in the high 400s.

I played in a larger league nearby a couple of years with about 400 players and their situation is about the same as here.

JC

We have four in-house divisions with different team caps.
Tuesday 1600 - average rating 338
Tuesday 1800 - average rating 410
Thursday 2000 - average rating 428
Thursday 2200 - average rating 522

Easy-e is in a pretty populated area. Perhaps his division has a reputation for being where "the player's" go. Here is the game win% for a number of players in our 1600 and 2200 divisions. You can get an idea what kind of win% a particular player can expect in each division.

Attachments

• twodiv.png
    twodiv.png
    32.4 KB · Views: 476

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

JC

I’m sure of the low and the high, but the average was an educated guess. Our team of 5 players is somewhere around 610, and the team we played this week was just below that. I’d say low 500’s is a pretty good guess. You e peaked my curiosity, I’ll try to get that answer!

JC

Coos Cues
We have four in-house divisions with different team caps.
Tuesday 1600 - average rating 338
Tuesday 1800 - average rating 410
Thursday 2000 - average rating 428
Thursday 2200 - average rating 522

Easy-e is in a pretty populated area. Perhaps his division has a reputation for being where "the player's" go. Here is the game win% for a number of players in our 1600 and 2200 divisions. You can get an idea what kind of win% a particular player can expect in each division.

Mike how about combining all the players in the four in house divisions into one data pool. What percentage of them are over 500? Is it more than the 20% we have in our division?

In our small league we just finished a ten ball session. Our top player is only a 611 here and as I stated 20% are over 500. We only have three players over 550. So in this 10 ball session I took every player within 10 points of 450 and calculated their winning percentage and they won 53.8% of their games of rotation with a sampling of 730 games played. I'm guessing that our small league is not unusually weak overall and this may be about what you would expect in a larger sample. That is that a 450 fargo player will win about half their games against a random field from the BCA pool league world.

Last edited: