Bob Frey Sneaky Petes

chas1022

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to ask a question to the experience players on here.Why do u think Frey's Sneaky Petes hit so good?

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
chas1022 said:
I would like to ask a question to the experience players on here.Why do u think Frey's Sneaky Petes hit so good?
Hopefully "Utah" responses to this thread as he is a Frey SP owner and is a very perceptive guy. I've seen his cue and it looks great.

itmc80

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chas1022,

I have a SP with Cocobola and I think it is the best cue that I have owned up until now. I think that for one the 3/8"x10 pin the best playing pin. The taper on the shaft is very well done and it is a single spliced queue, which in my opionion gives you the best playability. This is the best cue for the money that I have purchased. I own a Mottey and a Lambros and since I have the Frey, I only take the other cues out of my case to look at now. Highly recommended to anyone.

dukeboy1977

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
had some

itmc80 said:
Chas1022,

I have a SP with Cocobola and I think it is the best cue that I have owned up until now. I think that for one the 3/8"x10 pin the best playing pin. The taper on the shaft is very well done and it is a single spliced queue, which in my opionion gives you the best playability. This is the best cue for the money that I have purchased. I own a Mottey and a Lambros and since I have the Frey, I only take the other cues out of my case to look at now. Highly recommended to anyone.

As an owner of a couple Frey s/p's in the past, I'll give you my opinion and reinstate the one above me. A sneaky pete is IMO, the BEST playing kind of cue, no matter who makes it as long as its done right. Also, IMO, the 3/8x10 pin IS the best playing joint, like noted above. I have been told that Bob Frey uses the same wood Tim Scruggs does...So that right there has to tell you something, since Scruggs cues are soo popular! I don't think it can be narrowed down to only 1 reason, but I do think that they are the players they are because of a couple different reasons, like I noted above. I hope I answered your ??, Jeff

buck15

going broke! got there!
Silver Member
the hit

i have owned one frey, an ebony one. it had a nice hit to it. i wouldn't complain. i must say the i like the hit of my other small pins better though. i know it is just a personnel thing. the frey does play good though, and for the price you can't go wrong. not that their cheap but a fair price. good luck

tpdtom

Really Old School
Silver Member
I have a brand new Frey cocobolo sneaky. It's a 19.1 oz cue that is 59" as per my request. It has an ivory ferrule and a cocobolo joint (both special order)with black phenolic outside the coco. 3/8 X10 pin of course. Talisman medium tip @ 12.75mm. Fabulous taper on this cue and a monster hit with super shaft wood! I played with it a little each day for about 3 days, but the differences between it and my Dayton, my main playing cue, are enough that I don't use it now. There's very little chalk on the shaft, and no dents, dings, or scratches. I don't have a pic now but it's a spectacular (red with black streaks and swirls) piece of cocobolo. Black butt cap and white ring with the letter F. This cue was a special order and I waited 3 months for it. I paid $560 with all the options. I'll take $400 shipped USPS Priority Mail...Tom

Last edited:

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
chas1022 said:
I own a TS sneaky and a F sneaky, and wouldn't you know it, they were made by the same hands.

In case you were wondering: Frey sneaky's are Scrugg's sneaky's and Scrugg's sneaky's are Frey sneaky's. That's why they hit so good. Simple really.

-td

No_English

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
so how would u compare this to the josey SP?...Im planning on purcahsin a sneaky pete and narrow it down to the two. bob frey or josey?...any help woul be appreciated..ty

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
td873 said:
I own a TS sneaky and a F sneaky, and wouldn't you know it, they were made by the same hands.

In case you were wondering: Frey sneaky's are Scrugg's sneaky's and Scrugg's sneaky's are Frey sneaky's. That's why they hit so good. Simple really.

-td

For the most part, this is true......however, I did just recently see a Scruggs s/p that is roughly 8-9 months old, and is without a doubt, the prettiest Scruggs pete I have ever seen!! BTW, the owner of this cue emailed the Scruggs shop, and it was confirmed that this cue was indeed crafted by Tim himself, as per Mike Cochran.

Just wanted to dispell the myth a bit.

Lisa

crawfish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Night and Day

No_English said:
so how would u compare this to the josey SP?...Im planning on purcahsin a sneaky pete and narrow it down to the two. bob frey or josey?...any help woul be appreciated..ty
Stiff, thick taper as opposed to the Frey taper that is 12-13 inches and gradual. I can't juice a ball with the barrel taper like a Josey.

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
No_English said:

I have not had the occasion to play with a Frey, but I have owned a Josey s/p, and it was an AMAZING player...truly. What that cue did for my game was beyond belief. :) I can tell you that Keith also does his own finger-spliced full splices, uses no weight bolts...he let's the wood naturally weight the cue. He uses a Radial pin in his cues...which I personally feel plays better than the 3/8x10 pin...and I have owned several 3/8x10 pinned cues. The Radial adds stiffness to the cue, IMO, as well as makes for a extremely solid feeling player...truly like a one piece when assembled...and, unlike a 3/8x10 that often tend to loosen up during play, the Radial that Keith uses WILL NOT loosen up on you once! Fit and finish on Keith's cues is as good as you will get on his higher end cues....awesome. And his shaftwood is not to be believed....tight grained and smooth as a baby's butt...lol. It's a whole lot of cue for the money...not really fair to call them petes.

I sold that cue, which I am sure I will regret, because of being out of work now, and needing the extra cash. The one cue I did keep, which is my Tucker full splice, has a 3/8x11 SW pin...which I feel may slightly edge out the Radial, but not by much. One cue had to go, and since the Tucker is darn near impossible to acquire, I let the Josey go....but once things settle, I'll be ordering another one without hesitation.

Lisa

cigardave

Who's got a light?
Silver Member
I've got a number of custom cues (~6)... but my everyday shooter is a semi-custom Bob Frey SP... 60"... in Ebony... with white Rambo ring... 12.6 mm... 18.6 oz... (now) with a Talisman Pro Medium tip... and with the ferrule customized a la Bob Jewett style.

She hits real well. :)

cjohnsonjr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've owned and hit with a number of Frey SPs. I agree, they hit nicely. However, there are SPs I prefer to Frey's SPs largely because Frey's SPs tend to be butt heavy. I would recommend you try either a Diveney or Stacey. The Diveney balances great but does have a rather strong taper. The Stacey also balances well and has a taper a little longer than a Frey. Frey, in my opinion, has the best taper but not the best balance.

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
crawfish said:
Stiff, thick taper as opposed to the Frey taper that is 12-13 inches and gradual. I can't juice a ball with the barrel taper like a Josey.

Interesting...because I actually found myself doing things with the CB with my Josey that I could never do before with any other cue. Different strokes. I do know that the AZer who acquired my cue is absolutely in love with it and says it's a definite keeper! Go figure. :)

Josey's are VERY stiff playing cues.

Lisa

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
ridewiththewind said:
For the most part, this is true......however, I did just recently see a Scruggs s/p that is roughly 8-9 months old, and is without a doubt, the prettiest Scruggs pete I have ever seen!! BTW, the owner of this cue emailed the Scruggs shop, and it was confirmed that this cue was indeed crafted by Tim himself, as per Mike Cochran.

Just wanted to dispell the myth a bit.

Lisa
Hmmm, when you call Tim's shop for a sneaky, he refers you to Bob. I'm inclined to believe your statement is a myth... ;)

Also, I assume you are talking about true sneakies and not merry widows.

-td

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
td873 said:
Hmmm, when you call Tim's shop for a sneaky, he refers you to Bob. I'm inclined to believe your statement is a myth... ;)

Also, I assume you are talking about true sneakies and not merry widows.

-td

I am not known for speaking falsehoods. As is so happens, this is an ebony pete that was a special order for a friend of both Tim's and Mike's. he hit a bad patch of luck, and had to part with the cue. If you would like to challenge that myth, call them and ask. The cue is Gabon ebony...jet as jet can be....with a lovely BEM nose, maple stitch rings at the butt and joint and shaft collars, Radial pin. Drop dead gorgeous. Go ahead, call them. :D

Lisa

Last edited:

penguin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
td873 said:

Having both cues "made by the same hands" is nice to know. But are the Frey sneaky petes that are available now made to the same specs as the famed Scruggs sneaky petes were (especially do they both have the same shaft taper?)..? :confused:

I'm sure a lot of people would like to know the answer to this one.

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
ridewiththewind said:
As is so happens, this is an ebony pete that was a special order for a friend of both Tim's and Mike's. he hit a bad patch of luck, and had to part with the cue. If you would like to challenge that myth, call them and ask. The cue is Gabon ebony...jet as jet can be....with a lovely BEM nose, maple stitch rings at the butt and joint and shaft collars, Radial pin. Drop dead gorgeous. Go ahead, call them. :D
Lisa

Lisa, no offense, but I have to believe that you were either misinformed or misled based on:

1) Bob is the one Tim refers people to for sneakies and has for years (at least since 2003);
2) You have only seen one cue that is admittedly not a sneaky pete (stitch rings at the butt and joint which is NOT a sneaky);
3) You indicate that there may be ONE cue made for a special friend of Tim and Mike; and
4) TIM'S OWN WEBSITE STATES:
While Tim no longer makes Sneaky Pete cues, lifelong friend and former partner of Tim's, Bob Frey does. Bob Frey like Tim, is also located in Baltimore, MD. Bob continues to make Sneaky Pete cues to the same exacting high quality standards as he did when he worked with Tim​
Here is the LINK.
Here is a link to a 2003 version of the same.

Click for yourself and see. The truth is, Tim doesn't make sneakies anymore, and hasn't for years. If you disagree please call and confirm yourself. There is more than enough evidence for me, and only your one example otherwise...

-td

Last edited: