Gotta Love the Philippines

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm surprised they schedule that far in advance.

Match room should have scheduled a different week out of courtesy but I guess they don't care!

They didn't care about scheduling last year's Mosconi Cup during Thanksgiving either lol

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I'm surprised they schedule that far in advance.

Match room should have scheduled a different week out of courtesy but I guess they don't care!

It's not like the SBE is a huge event for the pros, more like a regional event, maybe.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
There weren't that many top players going to the SBE for the pro event the last few years anyway. As I told Dennis a few years ago, it's not worth it unless you win. Second place is barely profitable and third is break even. Meanwhile the U.S. Open does have almost all the top players, but also many B and even C players in the field. It won't be that hard for a good player to make a profit there and have a chance at some serious prize money.

The other thing is that the SBE is primarily an East Coast event and Hopkins will get the crowds with or without a top flight pro field. That's already been shown. The SBE is so much more than just a pro tournament. It's a pool Happening!
Again, the U.S. Open will attract a mainly West Coast audience that want to pay good money to see the best players perform. Basically two very different kind of events and both have their place in the pool firmament.

I think Matchroom is constrained by what open dates the Mandalay Bay has available to stage the tournament. Their ballrooms are booked up years in advance! I wouldn't be so quick to blame Matchroom for choosing the dates they did. It may have been their only choice!

Last edited:

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There weren't that many top players going to the SBE for the pro event the last few years anyway. As I told Dennis a few years ago, it's not worth it unless you win. Second place is barely profitable and third is break even. Meanwhile the U.S. Open does have almost all the top players, but also many B and even C players in the field. It won't be that hard for a good player to make a profit there and have a chance at some serious prize money.

The other thing is that the SBE is primarily an East Coast event and Hopkins will get the crowds with or without a top flight pro field. That's already been shown. The SBE is so much more than just a pro tournament. It's a pool Happening!
Again, the U.S. Open will attract a mainly West Coast audience that want to pay good money to see the best players perform. Basically two very different kind of events and both have their place in the pool firmament.

I think Matchroom is constrained by what open dates the Mandalay Bay has available to stage the tournament. Their ballrooms are booked up years in advance! I wouldn't be so quick to blame Matchroom for choosing the dates they did. It may have been their only choice!

Who's to say Mandalay Bay is the only available venue though? It sure is expensive for the players to stay there.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Who's to say Mandalay Bay is the only available venue though? It sure is expensive for the players to stay there.

They don't have to stay there. There are many less expensive choices in Vegas, including some that are close to the Mandalay Bay.

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You obviously don't know how things work in Vegas. They are probably on a long term contract of 3-5 years with Mandalay Bay.

And whose fault is that lol? They're the ones who decided to sign a contract with Mandalay Bay which is potentially why the dates have been problematic. There is no obligation to be in Vegas or at the Mandalay Bay. That was all their choosing. So why wouldn't they be to blame??

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
And who's fault is that lol? They're the ones who decided to sign a contract with Mandalay Bay which is potentially why the dates have been problematic. There is no obligation to be in Vegas or at the Mandalay Bay. That was all their choosing. So why wouldn't they be to blame??

I see no blame anywhere in this equation, but to each their own.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Reading comprehension is not your strength either. I did not attribute blame to anyone and won't be doing so. Carry on.
P.S. You might try reading my post #29 again. It may dawn on you that I referred to those who want to blame someone for the conflicting dates of these two events. You know, people like you! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
And whose fault is that lol? They're the ones who decided to sign a contract with Mandalay Bay which is potentially why the dates have been problematic. There is no obligation to be in Vegas or at the Mandalay Bay. That was all their choosing. So why wouldn't they be to blame??

What's your problem? The US Open is FULL with a waiting list.

There are no problems with the dates, how hard is that to understand?

The SBE is mainly an amateur event and the only top 20 guy probably going is Aranas, hell, probably the only top 100 guy.