No Deflection

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I would observe how long the tip is on the CB, how long the CB is on the OB, by how wide the path is of the cueball after contact on a center follow shot with a slight angle. If the tip is on the CB a long time then the CB "sticks" on the OB longer. Since the CB is on the OB ...

Again...the cue ball doesn't know what happened to propel it toward the object ball. Once it says goodbye to the cue ball it is spinning about an axis, has a definable momentum direction and immediately begins to react to the friction (whether the rolling variety or the sliding variety) of the table and takes the resuling path. It arrives at the object ball with a certain trajectory and somewhere between zero and lots of spin about an axis.

Can you explain how the cue ball magically stays on the object ball longer when its path was caused by your wiz bang ND stroke and not some "conventional" stroke that sent it on it's way with the exact same trajectory and rotation?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Again...the cue ball doesn't know what happened to propel it toward the object ball. Once it says goodbye to the cue ball it is spinning about an axis and immediately begins to react to the friction (whether the rolling variety or the sliding variety) of the table and takes thebresuling path. It arrives at the object ball with a trajectory and somewhere between zero and lots spin about an axis.

Can you explain how the cue ball magically stays on the object ball longer when its path was caused by your wiz bang ND stroke and not some "conventional" stroke that sent it on it's way with the exact same trajectory and rotation?

Just walk away. Remember the old saying about wrestling a pig?? The pig actually likes it and you'll get all muddy. This guy is a total goofball.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Just walk away. Remember the old saying about wrestling a pig?? The pig actually likes it and you'll get all muddy. This guy is a total goofball.
Thanks, but I know what I'm doing here.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Are you sure you don't mean, ''Kenneth, what is the frequency?'':wink:

Only people of a certain age are likely to get the reference. The rest of you are free to feel left behind while in front.

Steve, Steve, ... Does this refer to someone in Chicago who thought the universe of a particular cue maker? I'm getting an image of a small sheep for some reason....

View attachment 529103

Or maybe it's just an attack of synesthesia. I'm hungry all of a sudden. Where's the mint jelly?

Yes, that Steve. Because a thousand different things can happen in the millisecond that only special players can accomplish.

Freddie <~~~ not special

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes, that Steve. Because a thousand different things can happen in the millisecond that only special players can accomplish.

Freddie <~~~ not special
Well, some of us are special:cool:, and I give classes in what happens in each microsecond and how to extend the time and get the most from each instant. You can even double the time if you know the secrets.

I only charge $50/microsecond, or $100/microsecond for the really important microseconds.

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently started thinking this way, and am posting because it worked. This brick house is ready for a huff and a puff.
I wasn't taking only specifically about this one idea that you have presented here.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, some of us are special:cool:, and I give classes in what happens in each microsecond and how to extend the time and get the most from each instant. You can even double the time if you know the secrets.

I only charge $50/microsecond, or $100/microsecond for the really important microseconds.
How much for femtoseconds? ;)

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

OK, now, you forced me into some lookups for this:

millisecond = one thousandth of a second
microsecond = one millionth of a second
nanosecond = one billionth of a second
picosecond = one trillionth of a second
femtosecond = one quadrillionth of a second
attosecond = one quintillionth of a second
zeptosecond = one sextillionth of a second
yoctosecond = one septillionth of a second

Last edited:

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member

Do you give a discount for purchasing more than one? If I buy 2 regular would you throw in an important for $50?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
OK, now, you forced me into some lookups for this:

millisecond = one thousandth of a second
microsecond = one millionth of a second
nanosecond = one billionth of a second
picosecond = one trillionth of a second
femtosecond = one quadrillionth of a second
attosecond = one quintillionth of a second
zeptosecond = one sextillionth of a second
yoctosecond = one septillionth of a second
D00D! I don't deal in yoctoseconds -- not worth my time. My minimum is 200 nanoseconds. It's amazing what you can do in 200 nanoseconds if you set your mind to it and know what you're doing.

(Actually, when I had a day job making signal generators, the shortest times we were generally worried about were a few femtoseconds. Aligning two signals to within 50 femtoseconds was pretty standard. On a related note, the signal generators I helped make were pretty precise: If you take an atomic clock and physically lowerer it, it runs more slowly due to being in higher gravity and one of the consequences of Einstein's theories -- time runs more slowly in higher gravity. Our equipment could correct the speed of a clock that was lowered by a thousandth of an inch. Of course putting your hand near the cable carrying the signal would warm the cable and make more difference than gravity, but it's the principle of the thing. [There were other reasons to have that much precision, which I can't discuss right now.:p] Normal pendulum clocks run faster in higher gravity due to the higher force driving the weight.)

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A dollar per single femtosecond, but that's simply a waste of time and money. You're going to need at least several microseconds to get anything useful. Unless you're really smart, the one femtosecond will look a lot like the next to you.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
hard, soft. or medium?

Use a squishy tip to increase the contact time.

All of the things talked about, seems like somebody would have tried to prove which tip can affect the cue ball the most. Not talking about all used at one certain angle but if each is used at optimum efficiency for that tip, which can create the most spin?

Then we have the question of if some tips work better with certain ferrules? Do some work better with certain shafts?

There is a reason that I usually settle for the results of hamb.

Hu

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All of the things talked about, seems like somebody would have tried to prove which tip can affect the cue ball the most. Not talking about all used at one certain angle but if each is used at optimum efficiency for that tip, which can create the most spin?

Then we have the question of if some tips work better with certain ferrules? Do some work better with certain shafts?

There is a reason that I usually settle for the results of hamb.

Hu

I did this test with a friend one day, we happened to have about 8 different shafts between us on different cues.

We played a low right-spin shot off a rail to see how far back downtable we can get.

See my caveman like picture of the shot, the solid line vs broken line was about what we got from different shaft and tips combination.

Least spin to most spin
Standard shaft, 1 layer tip - solid line
Standard shaft layered tip
LD shaft, 1 layer tip
LD shaft, layered tip - broken line

Going from each of those got us another half diamond closer to the corner pocket on that shot. Note this picture is a rough setup of what we did, not exact ball placement.
With an LD shaft and a layered tip we were able to hit the short rail a few times past the pocket, we were not able to do that with any standard shaft.

We each shot with each combination 3 times, so 6 shots per shaft/tip combination which would be good enough to remove any sort of stoke inconsistency. We were both pretty consistent as to where the cueball ended up with each shaft.

Untitled.png