Mr 600

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
What does Guinness have to do with anything?

You do realize that Mosconi's 526 isn't even in there, right?

Does that make it less valid as well?

The Guinness rules are for someone deliberately trying to break and document an existing record, WM wasn't trying to break someone else's record when he created his record. Most records are created the way WM created his, random and natural.

Last edited:

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
.....John Schmidt was using the formula

GT-5HE-ES-Berry2.png.750x750_q85ss0_progressive.png

Damn him..... :duck:

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
The Guinness rules are for someone deliberately trying to break and document an existing record, WM wasn't trying to break someone else's record when he created his record. Most records are created the way WM created his, random and natural.

He won his match but continued to shoot until he missed, @sounds like an attempt to post a big number..and I believe the record he beat was his own.

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Originally Posted by jimmyg View Post

He won his match but continued to shoot until he missed, @sounds like an attempt to post a big number..and I believe the record he beat was his own.

Are you suggesting that WM went to that exhibition with the intention of creating a new high run record, and if he didn't do it during that particular run he planned on locking himself in the room for months until he did?

I hope not, that's illogical.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Are you suggesting that WM went to that exhibition with the intention of creating a new high run record, and if he didn't do it during that particular run he planned on locking himself in the room for months until he did?

I hope not, that's illogical.
If I was suggesting that I would have written that. All I said was he kept playing that particular night to see how far he could go.

I didn't say he planned it at breakfast, I didn't say he did it every day, I didn't say anything that you are suggest.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

But someone obviously had the record before Willie, and it wasn't in the Guiness book either.

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member

But someone obviously had the record before Willie, and it wasn't in the Guiness book either.

As I stated, most records are created the way WM created his, randomly and naturally, as opposed to deliberate and multiple attempts to break and document an existing record. I have no idea who held the record, or what it was, before WM ran his 526, nor do I think that it matters.

Just for the sake of conversation: I don't believe that inclusion in the Guinness book is a requirement of having, holding, or breaking a world record. The person wanting inclusion in the book, which was first published in 1955, must submit his application and certain documentation, which does includes video, to the publisher, and they do have some very sensible requirements for the new record to be validated.
Link: https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/Images/GWR-Evidence-Guide-2018_tcm25-486431.pdf

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
As I stated, most records are created the way WM created his, randomly and naturally, as opposed to deliberate and multiple attempts to break and document an existing record...

What are you basing this on? Are the hot dog eating records just some guy randomly overeating at lunch one day?

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member

I hope not, that's illogical

If I was suggesting that I would have written that. All I said was he kept playing that particular night to see how far he could go.

I didn't say he planned it at breakfast, I didn't say he did it every day, I didn't say anything that you are suggest.

Just underscoring some obvious differences between the two records. Glad that you agree.

As I stated, most records are created the way WM created his, randomly and naturally, as opposed to deliberate and multiple attempts to break and document an existing record...
logical: What are you basing this on? Are the hot dog eating records just some guy randomly overeating at lunch one day?

The "hot dog eating" contest is a planned and documented one day a year event, people do not lock themselves in a basement eating hot dogs for months trying to break the "record".

Not looking to get into a pi$$ing match here....if someone cannot recognize the obvious differences between the circumstances of how the records were established on their own, I certainly cannot make them. I'm out!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure why you'd make that claim.

How would you go about determining such a thing and how many records would need to be attempted until one would acknowledge intentional efforts are still records?

As I stated, most records are created the way WM created his, randomly and naturally, as opposed to deliberate and multiple attempts to break and document an existing record. I have no idea who held the record, or what it was, before WM ran his 526, nor do I think that it matters.

Just for the sake of conversation: I don't believe that inclusion in the Guinness book is a requirement of having, holding, or breaking a world record. The person wanting inclusion in the book, which was first published in 1955, must submit his application and certain documentation, which does includes video, to the publisher, and they do have some very sensible requirements for the new record to be validated.
Link: https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/Images/GWR-Evidence-Guide-2018_tcm25-486431.pdf

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think the exhibition high run record had been 309 by Irving Crane, set on a 5x10 table.
Which Willie tied later, also on a 5x10. I bet there was a little pressure on shot 310.;) Willie knew exactly the number he was trying to reach.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think the exhibition high run record had been 309 by Irving Crane, set on a 5x10 table.

Crane set the 5x10 record of 309 in 1939. Mosconi, while in the army, tied the record in October 1945, playing against Joe Procita.

On a 9-footer, Mosconi ran 322 on April 22, 1953 in an exhibition in Platteville, Wisconsin. He didn't remember the opponent's name.

On Nov. 13, 1953 he ran 365 playing Nixon Jones in Wilmington, NC. That run was off Mosconi's own opening break, calling the 1-ball in the left side pocket.

And then the 526, on March 19, 1954.

[info from Willie's autobiograhy]

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Mike's "official" ultra run

Maybe you folks should review this thread

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=280156&page=1

Apparently, there was a 625 record.

Or just keep figuring out how to beat a legend. lol

Yep, I heard from a reliable source (World Champion) that Mike Eufemia did in fact accomplish a huge run on a forgiving Goldcrown there in nyc. I thought it was 611 however - maybe i heard it wrong. Either way I believe the claim (even though I wish there were video) as I have read much about him but never got to see him actually play 14.1. If big sponsors (non reliable source) for a certain player tried to claim there player ran 626 - without un- edited video proof - I would respond - who witnessed it other than the plant sitting in the corner. :)

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
hate to one-up but ...

Yep, I heard from a reliable source (World Champion) that Mike Eufemia did in fact accomplish a huge run on a forgiving Goldcrown there in nyc. I thought it was 611 however - maybe i heard it wrong. Either way I believe the claim (even though I wish there were video) as I have read much about him but never got to see him actually play 14.1. If big sponsors (non reliable source) for a certain player tried to claim there player ran 626 - without un- edited video proof - I would respond - who witnessed it other than the plant sitting in the corner. :)

I hate to one up but it used to be when unofficial records were mentioned there was also mention of an over seven hundred run by someone. I forget who but I understand the run was witnessed by two potted plants and a yellow cat. Hard to see how that run can be ignored. I believe one of the plants still lives. The cat is unfortunately deceased but being a tom the story has been passed down to over five thousand descendants. Even second or third hand can that many witnesses be ignored??

Hu

PS: There was a blue tick hound there too but since he was under the table where he couldn't really see well he isn't considered a reliable witness.