Shane Van Boening challenging Chinese 8 Ball @ China

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Thank you for the links. Chinese 8 ball is far better for pros and advanced players than the regular pool table pockets. Would love to see some of the better poolrooms and sports bars put one or two Chinese 8 ball table in to see how they do. JT

oldplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
while I have not been able to see the entire stream yet , rules are somewhat different (he had a side pocket shot and kissed his stripe just a bit off the opponents 3 ball and had to pass the turn to the opponent) and following Greece, it is good to see that shane is shooting better outside the usa now. :thumbup:

peter_gunn

])3a]) s']['rok3
Silver Member
while I have not been able to see the entire stream yet , rules are somewhat different (he had a side pocket shot and kissed his stripe just a bit off the opponents 3 ball and had to pass the turn to the opponent) and following Greece, it is good to see that shane is shooting better outside the usa now. :thumbup:

He didnt call the pocket. He must call (obvious) pocket if he caroms the ball :rolleyes:

Jive

Professional Racker
Silver Member
He didnt call the pocket. He must call (obvious) pocket if he caroms the ball :rolleyes:

Yup you're right, all pockets must be called.
Last year I can't remember if it was Appleton or some other top pro that joined and it was the last black ball and it was an obvious pocket. But no pocket was called and he lost that rack.
In Chinese 8 Ball every all needs to be called no matter how obvious.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Where is Thaiger? Shane looks absolutely helpless in this game. He should quit and never try it again.

Anyone who thinks Shane couldn't go to England and play English 8 Ball at the highest level is absolutely and totally delusional.

BJTyler

AzB Member
Silver Member
Thank you for the links. Chinese 8 ball is far better for pros and advanced players than the regular pool table pockets... JT

Why do you say that? are you simply referring to the smaller size of C8B table pockets? or the rounded face? not sure why the latter would be better for pros.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quick question for JB

John, sorry if u have already talked about this on here but I am very impressed with ALL of your cases I've had the pleasure to see ( both pics and in person ) so I was just wondering will u take on any & all custom leatherwork jobs ( other than pool related )? I'd so ill call or email ur shop to discuss. Thanks again and honestly throughout the many years in the pool world I have seen countless cases / makers and your craftsmanship and design impressed me like none I've seen. Ps, we had talked prior to SBE about making me a custom case and unfortunately I was at SBE but we did not have a chance to hook up and was planning on attending the Lou match but didn't make it due to babysitter issues but I def am still looking to have you make me my dream case. John I hope all is well, take care my friend.

smoooothstroke

JerLaw
Silver Member
Nice find.Interesting stuff.Looks like Shane didn't call the kiss on the side pocket shot.The ref? has some peculiar functions like holding up her hand to signal the start of the lag and cleaning the CB without marking the location.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I second that motion. We play GOLF on our 10 Snooker table with 2 1/4 pool balls.... nothing is a cinch if the object ball isn't in the jaws. You certainly have to focus or you won't be successful.

A 9 foot Table with properly sized pockets might change the game for the upper echelon of Pool Players.

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
LOL, if you want to see a monster, come to Stix in Wichita, they have a 6 x 12 Snooker table. Cory Deuel was dropping in for a couple of weeks to practice for an upcoming Snooker competition in England. He was getting some pointers from our own International Snooker star, Keith Boon. Keith is from Singapore originally, and besides winning a couple of big Snooker tournaments down in Houston, he just won the Grand Masters of the Oklahoma 8 ball Championships.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
So, the takeaway from the first match Jive linked to for me is that Shane can easily play Chinese 8 Ball. I stopped counting how many racks he ran out but I am going to guess it was about 7 or 8 in a race to 15. He essentially lapped his opponent winning 15-7. Two of those outs he banks the last ball before the 8 for position.

Why on earth would anyone persist in saying that elite players couldn't master another type of pocket billiards game? Here is an example of an elite player going into a competition on completely unfamiliar equipment and running out. And he obviously understood the strategy enough to move balls away from the rails to make them easier later.

Just imagine if Shane were to install one of these tables in his house and put the same type of 10-18 hour days into mastering it as he has done on a regular pool table. And by the same token the great players who have mastered Chinese 8 ball could easily learn to play one pocket, banks, 9 and 10 ball. All of these players have great pocketing and cue ball control so it should be obvious that all of them could adapt to any playing conditions.

Pryme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
these tables kinda remind of the ones i have in my condo...deadly all i can say..and shots down the rail u can fogeta bout it!!:thumbup:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Thank you for the links. Chinese 8 ball is far better for pros and advanced players than the regular pool table pockets. Would love to see some of the better poolrooms and sports bars put one or two Chinese 8 ball table in to see how they do. JT

I am going to have to disagree, having played on both. I think that the tables simply force a different game to be played.

You simply adapt to the condition and play the strategy that the table dictates. Chinese 8 ball tables simply force 8 ball to be played with less options than American pool tables offer the player. Essentially cutting off pretty much all shots frozen to the rail means that more safeties will be played and more treating those balls like clusters to be moved off the rail.

Players will not take a lot of the tougher shots that they would go for on American tables because of the table conditions.

I respect both types of tables and the strategies that go with them. Neither one is really "harder" in my opinion, just different aspects. Sure the pocket openings are smaller but try running 7 racks of ten ball on 4.125" pockets.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, the takeaway from the first match Jive linked to for me is that Shane can easily play Chinese 8 Ball. I stopped counting how many racks he ran out but I am going to guess it was about 7 or 8 in a race to 15. He essentially lapped his opponent winning 15-7. Two of those outs he banks the last ball before the 8 for position.

Why on earth would anyone persist in saying that elite players couldn't master another type of pocket billiards game? Here is an example of an elite player going into a competition on completely unfamiliar equipment and running out. And he obviously understood the strategy enough to move balls away from the rails to make them easier later.

Just imagine if Shane were to install one of these tables in his house and put the same type of 10-18 hour days into mastering it as he has done on a regular pool table. And by the same token the great players who have mastered Chinese 8 ball could easily learn to play one pocket, banks, 9 and 10 ball. All of these players have great pocketing and cue ball control so it should be obvious that all of them could adapt to any playing conditions.

Mastering 8 ball and mastering snooker is a entirely different thing ,,