Super Billiards expo 2020?

dnixon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it true that there will not be a pro event at the Billiards expo this coming year? And if so why? I’ve only missed one expo over the years myself in my wife enjoy the pro event. It would be a shame not to have it.

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
It is taking place the same time as US Open 9-ball.

Yeah, I noticed the time frame was the same and realized that so many pros would be out in Las Vegas in the U.S. Open.

Lots of top players will be headed out west for that, but hey..... many won't! Why not hold the event anyway and see who shows?

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
You mean the US Open 9-Ball, under Matchroom booked their event to compete on the same weekend as SBX.

US Open under Barry Hearn was always in September/October, not March/April as SBX.

It is taking place the same time as US Open 9-ball.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You mean the US Open 9-Ball, under Matchroom booked their event to compete on the same weekend as SBX.

US Open under Barry Hearn was always in September/October, not March/April as SBX.

On Facebook last spring someone asked the manager of Matchroom Emily Fraser why it was scheduled on top of the SBE and she responded with "what is that?". :rotflmao1:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think you need to double check your Barry's :grin-square::grin-square:

Maybe if Hopkins added enough money to make it a WPA event, it would have been on the WPA calendar, and Matchroom may have noticed it. As it stood for the past 20 years, the event rarely attracted more than 3 or 4 international pros. Most of the field in the 20 years past has been made of local Philly/NJ top locals.

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
This sucks to hear as it is one of the only bigger events I haven't made it to yet... hell, I even made it to the Southern Classic. I hope this doesn't fade away as well before I get to experience it myself. The schedule conflict is surely going to have negative affect for the Expo... I do hope I'm wrong though.

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My understanding is ….women start their tourney Thursday. This is first day of expo. Mens tourney starts Friday. Most US open players will be out . They can get to expo for tourney .

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

No, the US Open under Barry Behrman was in September/October. Whe Matchroom and Barry Hearn took it over He moved it to Las Vegas in the spring. Everyone should go to the Super Billiard Expo and let the open suffer. Scheduling like this has always been a problem in pool

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
No, the US Open under Barry Behrman was in September/October. Whe Matchroom and Barry Hearn took it over He moved it to Las Vegas in the spring. Everyone should go to the Super Billiard Expo and let the open suffer. Scheduling like this has always been a problem in pool

Let the open suffer??? Lol. If you are comparing the men's "pro" tournament at SBE to the US Open it's not even in the same universe.

Sure, let one of the biggest pro events in the world suffer to have an afterthought "pro" event - you should be in charge of pool in the US :rolleyes:

Btw, how much $$$$ is added to the US Open compared to the afterthought SBE event?

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Another thing, there are thousands of amateurs at SBE and the only way they go watch the "pros" is if its free!

I cant believe they even have a "pro" event anymore, I mean, good for them, but it seems like a bad business decision.

Leave all the 9 footers at home and make the action room bigger.

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went to the Open in Virginia for about 25 years as a VIP season ticket holder and as far as I'm concerned the fall tournament organized by Pat Fleming is really the US Open now. But the bottom line to me is if you have a tournament scheduled for a given date I need to schedule mine for a different date. This trying to bully your way to front isn't good for the game.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I went to the Open in Virginia for about 25 years as a VIP season ticket holder and as far as I'm concerned the fall tournament organized by Pat Fleming is really the US Open now. But the bottom line to me is if you have a tournament scheduled for a given date I need to schedule mine for a different date. This trying to bully your way to front isn't good for the game.
You seem to feel that the statement above that Matchroom was simply unaware of the SBE is incorrect. It seems entirely possible to me. The SBE is not sanctioned by anyone and the way a promoter is supposed to pick dates is to look at the calendar of sanctioned events.

So, when the US Open 2019 was announced (in October 2017?) for April 2019, and the 2020 date had not yet been announced, Allen might have started to worry about a conflict. The 2019 SBE was at the end of March.

In fact the 2020 US Open is scheduled for the same week (relative to Easter, the week after Easter) as in 2019 and three weeks after the calendar dates of Hopkins' event in 2019. Hopkins moved his event to be 19 days later than in 2019 and it landed on the Open.

I think a much larger concern to Matchroom was when Mandalay Bay was available and when the broadcast partners had a need for programming.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I mixed my Barrys, not the events.

Pool has enough problems without intentionally scheduling conflicts.

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Henry...You mean Barry Behrmann, not Hearn. Barry Hearn's first US Open 9 Ball tournament was last April in Vegas. That was part of the deal when he bought the rights from Brady and Shannon, Barry's kids.

Scott Lee
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Yes, Scott, I mixed up my Barrys.

Henry...You mean Barry Behrmann, not Hearn. Barry Hearn's first US Open 9 Ball tournament was last April in Vegas. That was part of the deal when he bought the rights from Brady and Shannon, Barry's kids.

Scott Lee
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

dnixon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s just too bad that both promoters couldn’t find other dates. What I mean is out of 52 weeks they couldn’t find a week were no big event is going on. To get one And not the other it’s just a bully move Just my opinion but who am I? What do we have here in the US the expo derby city the opens Every other year the cup Just seems like there’s a lot of weekends or weeks that there’s no major events going on here in the US.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Yeah, I know. Let's all blame Allen Hopkins, who has only been running Super Billiards Expo for the last 26 years in a row, for his shortsightedness in this booking date conflict. It's not like he's predictable *sarcasm off*

https://superbilliardsexpo.com/future/
April 16-19, 2020
April 15-18, 2021

It’s just too bad that both promoters couldn’t find other dates. What I mean is out of 52 weeks they couldn’t find a week were no big event is going on. To get one And not the other it’s just a bully move Just my opinion but who am I? What do we have here in the US the expo derby city the opens Every other year the cup Just seems like there’s a lot of weekends or weeks that there’s no major events going on here in the US.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let the open suffer??? Lol. If you are comparing the men's "pro" tournament at SBE to the US Open it's not even in the same universe.

Sure, let one of the biggest pro events in the world suffer to have an afterthought "pro" event - you should be in charge of pool in the US :rolleyes:

Btw, how much $$$$ is added to the US Open compared to the afterthought SBE event?
Totally agree. Comparing a regional pro event to one of the biggest in the world is ludicrous.