1887 - 4.5" pockets - First 'Continuous Pool' Match

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
1888 snippet.JPG

4.5 inch pockets back then is a little surprising for a 10ft table. and the balls were slightly larger...

more surprising is the $50 entry. that was fat cash back then.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
In Gustave Flaubert's literary classic Madame Bovary, published in 1856, the growing preference for tight equipment was noted.

In Part II, Chapter I, the following passage appears:

"Another billiard-table!" exclaimed the widow. "Since that one is coming to pieces, Madame Lefrancois. I tell you again you are doing yourself harm, much harm! And besides, players now want narrow pockets and heavy cues. Hazards aren't played now; everything is changed! One must keep pace with the times! Just look at Tellier!"

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
its true...billiards was becoming serious bizness...

sounds vaguely familiar

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
Also of note a $50 entry fee in 1887 was more than a considerable amount of money. Does anyone know out of what publication that little blurb came?

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
yeah sorry i forgot to include a footnote...

its from Brunswick's Modern Billiards p349 (1909 edition)

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
According to an online inflation calculator, $50 in 1887 equates to roughly $1,220 in 2012 dollars. How many of us would flop down that kind of green to play in a tourney?

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also of note a $50 entry fee in 1887 was more than a considerable amount of money. Does anyone know out of what publication that little blurb came?

I am not sure of where that particular blurb came from but Harpers Weeklys are a great source of that type of information.
The first tournament was 1859 and there were quite a few great issues between then and 1890. I'm not too familiar after that.
The piece shown looks like it might be a microfilm, In the late 80s I used to go to the Library and copy everything I could about old tournaments and players from their archives.
Perhaps today you can do it from home.