How long is too long to Rack..........?????????

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played in a match last night and the other player took 12 minutes to rack the balls.

At first I agreed to let him tap the ball with the cue ball rather than move the balls around without the rack on them.

The third rack took about 8 minutes so i told him no more cue ball tapping.

The balls on the bar table were different sizes so it was hard to rack them the way they needed to be if you wanted to try and aim the wing ball for the corner. I don't worry too much about that anyway.

How long is too long to work on the rack?

Should there be a time limit?

The player asked to split with me even though I had to beat him twice.

A player doing this through the whole tourny makes it last way too long. If everyone did this a 22 play tourny would last 3 days.

How long is too long?

Is there a rule anywhere that says what is a reasonable amount of time?

Really takes the fun out of playing. waiting that long to get back to the table. Keeping you in the chair should only be done by running racks.

This was alternate breaks. So each time it was his break it was like " Here we go again.........

Shaft

Hooked and Improving
Silver Member
Even one minute (a full 60 seconds) is a long time.
I wonder if this wasn't a sharking technique.

Pool is finished with nonsense like this. We simply don't live in that world any more. It is beholden on us to do something about it.

Ostracise slow players.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Prime example of why rack your own and being able to inspect the rack should not be allowed IMO. The break should some randomness to it.
I can't remember the guys name, but remember the match a few years ago with Shane.... Where the opponent was pattern racking and setting the rack just how he wanted it. The table lay made for VERY similar run outs on all the racks he racked. And it was a long race.
Back in the day, being called a rack mechanic was a bad thing. Now it's looked at as part of the game.
Chuck

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anything LONGER than 30 seconds is TOO LONG to me.

I HATE rack mechanics.

I get on my playing buddy's case about this EVERY time we play. We are playing for NOTHING, so I don't know what his incentive is. I just got on him yesterday for doing the SAME THING.....OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER. WTF!

I even offer to play rack your own with him, but he seems to prefer racking for each other.

I don't know why a lot of people are so against the Magic Ball Rack...it beats the hell out of sitting around for long periods of time watching somebody try to rack the balls. I tend to think it is an attempt to "shark" people, rather than an honest attempt to rack.

fishless

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Prime example of why rack your own and being able to inspect the rack should not be allowed IMO. The break should some randomness to it.
I can't remember the guys name, but remember the match a few years ago with Shane.... Where the opponent was pattern racking and setting the rack just how he wanted it. The table lay made for VERY similar run outs on all the racks he racked. And it was a long race.
Back in the day, being called a rack mechanic was a bad thing. Now it's looked at as part of the game.
Chuck

You may have been referring to the Donny Mills match; Pattern racking is another issue on its own.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You may have been referring to the Donny Mills match; Pattern racking is another issue on its own.

Pattern racking SHOULD be allowed during RACK YOUR OWN matches. As long as the opponent can rack their games in the SAME MANNER, then there SHOULDN'T be a problem in my opinion.

To ME, there is ONLY a problem when one person is ALLOWED to do something that their opponent ISN'T allowed to do.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Anything LONGER than 30 seconds is TOO LONG to me.

I HATE rack mechanics.

I get on my playing buddy's case about this EVERY time we play. We are playing for NOTHING, so I don't know what his incentive is. I just got on him yesterday for doing the SAME THING.....OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER. WTF!

I even offer to play rack your own with him, but he seems to prefer racking for each other.

I don't know why a lot of people are so against the Magic Ball Rack...it beats the hell out of sitting around for long periods of time watching somebody try to rack the balls. I tend to think it is an attempt to "shark" people, rather than an honest attempt to rack.

Agree, 30 sec is it. Johnnyt

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Did he look like this

I played in a match last night and the other player took 12 minutes to rack the balls.

At first I agreed to let him tap the ball with the cue ball rather than move the balls around without the rack on them.

The third rack took about 8 minutes so i told him no more cue ball tapping.

The balls on the bar table were different sizes so it was hard to rack them the way they needed to be if you wanted to try and aim the wing ball for the corner. I don't worry too much about that anyway.

How long is too long to work on the rack?

Should there be a time limit?

The player asked to split with me even though I had to beat him twice.

A player doing this through the whole tourny makes it last way too long. If everyone did this a 22 play tourny would last 3 days.

How long is too long?

Is there a rule anywhere that says what is a reasonable amount of time?

Really takes the fun out of playing. waiting that long to get back to the table. Keeping you in the chair should only be done by running racks.

This was alternate breaks. So each time it was his break it was like " Here we go again.........

Was this the guy.

MMike

Lucky_Lew66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i think like Hawiian,they came out with the magic rack that freezes the balls and takes all the BS out of racking and nobody wants to use it, that tells me they want to be able to manipulate the rack themselves,but not let their opponent, one word Geno,magic rack,15 dollar item,folds up and will even fit in your case,why not,of course your opponent has to agree i guess,i wouldnt give them a choice if i was the TD, magic rack only,and rack your own,2 minute racking limit, thats BS to spend 12 minutes, i saw Earl play that game with a guy at the Glass City Open years ago, funny the guy was running racks on him and he wanted to get him mad and throw him out of his game. Most of that racking crap is BS

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
call the tournament director and complain. if he wont do anything then take ten minutes a shot until it is resolved. and dont play there anymore and start your own tournament in another bar.

Banks

Banned
Chuck

Was that the HT tournament finals where Dennis O put down a 6 and 3 or 9 or some damn thing? Maybe he had been taking lessons with Cory.

fireball

Where was the match?

I am a never was that has been away from the game for quite sometime, but I agree with those that are saying a minute or 30 seconds is all it should take. I know shiz sometimes happen on bar tables and balls don't stay tight and racking takes a bit longer once in a while, but that is the exception. I feel bad when I have issues racking for an opponent and it takes a long time because it is disrespectful and I don't want people to think I am dragging my feet with, like someone else mentioned, some kind of crude sharking technique.

Side note, I was in bloomer Saturday for doubles and was irked at the incredible slow rate of play of the first two teams. Part of me wanted to say something, but everyone knew everyone there and I didn't want to be 'that guy'.

hon400ex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is way too long. 1 minute is pushing it. But I have a friend who was playing in Vegas and was so nervous that his hands were shaking and he kept hitting the balls trying o take the rack off. He finally called a ref over to rack for him until he settled down. He played ok once he started shooting, just couldn't rack lol. Also, I seem to remember a tournament last year where a guy was taking almost a minute and he was using a magic rack. Seems like Justin was commentating and he was quite comical.
Andy

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pattern racking SHOULD be allowed during RACK YOUR OWN matches. As long as the opponent can rack their games in the SAME MANNER, then there SHOULDN'T be a problem in my opinion.

To ME, there is ONLY a problem when one person is ALLOWED to do something that their opponent ISN'T allowed to do.
I agree with this but also believe that
if it takes a guy 12 min to rack that he's sharking or just shouldn't play with other people.
I wonder if he does this if he's practicing by himself. Some guys are pretty OCD
when it comes to racking but 12 min is just insane.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
For those that say rack mechanics are OK because it takes skill and many hours of practice, I ask you this. Would you play in a card game that has a known card mechanic in it? After all he spent many hours perfecting his SKILL. The are both CHEATS. Card mechanics get hurt when caught, why not rack mechanics? Johnnyt

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with this but also believe that
if it takes a guy 12 min to rack that he's sharking or just shouldn't play with other people.
I wonder if he does this if he's practicing by himself. Some guys are pretty OCD
when it comes to racking but 12 min is just insane.

ANYBODY who takes 12 minutes SHOULD BE BANNED from playing pool for LIFE!

They should be FORCED to take up lawn darts or something besides POOL!

Rackemep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In some cases I dont mind waiting the little extra time for a good rack...for instance one of our little tournaments is held at a dumpy little bar and the tables are beat up. It is tough to rack on them...I take the extra time to make sure my opponent gets a good rack and If they are impatient about it I politely ask them if they would like to rack their own because I dont want to be held accountable for a bad rack.

12 minutes to rack???...Now thats flat out unreasonable...