lmao defense is a weakness.....

poolguppy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm playing a dude at a bar right now...And laughed when I played defense.... Said defense is a chicken**** game and only for losers, and the pros of the game never play defense. "He knows", because he's played 100 dollar games before....lmao

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I shot a legal safety shot once, and made a guy sit down and quit. "Man, I don't play that n***er pool." His words,not mine.

poolguppy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not that this is a revelation, bit I got a good laugh, first time I've heard that from some ones mouth

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I three-fouled a man once in a tournament.....
...about three games later I got him on two fouls again...
...and I got ball-in-hand,

He started complaining about my chickenshit moves....
I told him "I don't usually take advice off my opponent on how to play,
but in this case I might make an exception."
Then I surveyed the table carefully...and said "Nope, I'm totally hooked
on hooking people.

Then I put hm in a snooker that a GPS programmed by Efren Reyes wasn't
gonna find a way out."

I'm a bad dude....:cool:

seven_7days

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder if when he plays basketball he stops to yell at the guy guarding him...
"Dude! wtf ? I don't play that sissy d-fence homie.
Stop blocking my shots!"

Pryme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had s friend tell me once " nah man we don't play that shit here" in my head I was like yeah right haha..but it was like 3 am and I was so tired didn't bother saying anything.

poolguppy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

on hooking people.

gonna find a way out."

Haha good one, this guy quit playing after his first loss...I played a safety on the 8 when I didn't have a good shot, he shot and missed and left and easy out, hasn't come back since

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not that this is a revelation, bit I got a good laugh, first time I've heard that from some ones mouth

i would like to give you and leto some insight on this subject.

its kinda sad to say i myself have uttered those same words my self in my younger days. having played in bars since i was 16 years old it was the only way i knew to play. its a culture thing. its they way a lot of people grow up being taught.

back then i would occasionally encounter some one in a bar that suggested " league rules ". i thought the same way you said that guy thought.

the snode remarks .. jeers... funny faces about the only rules i knew turned me off from associating with them and learning " their way " of playing pool.

as time went by i was watching pool on wide world of sports and was amazed at how well they played. i wanted to learn to play like that. i decided to go to the only pool in town and start to learn all i could. the " serious " players in their made me uncomfortable with the way they acted toward me " a banger " as serious pool players often refer to people that don't know how to play pool " the right way ".

i never went back to a pool hall again . i preferred to stay in my world where people like me played " bar rules ".

one day i was playing a guy in a bar and after i won about 4 in a row he asked me what league i played in. i said none.... i said i have never played league in my life. he asked why not. i said i did not think i was good enough. he said i was better than any one on his team and asked me if i would join.

i did not find out until the night i joined that it was bcapl 9 ball. i hated it because of the slop factor. i soon joined a bcapl 8 ball team. 8 ball was better but again there is still slop because its call your pocket" not call your shot.

the idea that defense is chhcken shit was so deeply ingrained in me it took 2 years before i finally come around to using defense. some bcapl players were friendly but there is still that stigma " bcapl is for serious players " from a lot of people.

i guess from my experience in bcapl is why i staunchly defend apa on here. they make every body feel welcome.

i played bcapl for a year then i quit pool entirely for about 4 years. a girl who is now my g/f got me to join apa 3 years ago. i learned more about english... cue ball control... defense... etc ...etc.. in my 1st 6 months in apa than the entire year i was in bcapl. apa team mates and opponents alike were more willing to teach me things and no one in bcapl would not even think about doing some thing like that.

thousands of bar bangers like i used to be might be willing to convert to serious poo if they were not treated like " bangers"

you may not have laughed in that guys face about his way of shooting pool but i bet your actions told him what you really thought.

poolguppy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thousands of bar bangers like i used to be might be willing to convert to serious poo if they were not treated like " bangers"

From my experience it's bar players that talk trash about league players and chickensh** ball in hand rules. I have no problem playing them at bar rules, but they sure don't want to play me with ball in hand rules

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I won a lot of league games 20 plus years a go when I first started playing for this very reason. People thought it was dirty pool . One of the first things my dad taught me if you don't have a shot you don't leave one. It really pissed a lot of people off lol Completely take them out of there game.

Diogenes

Silver Member
When someone snookers me with a very talented leave that I can't possibly save, I always quote Gomez Adams... "Dirty pool ol' man... I like it".
Almost anyone can bang their way into a win if you take defensive play out of the game. But there is a true talent to placing a cue ball exactly where it needs to be when there are no viable options, or you see a run if you can just get a quick BIH before the table changes on you.
BBB's (bar box bangers) call defense a weakness because they can't do it. That makes it their weakness and your strength.

Busboy

Wanna Play Some?
Silver Member
Haha great post here its funny I get this all the time safeties are one of the best parts of my game I get comments in apa all time like "are u f****** kidding me?" Or "wow" "didn't play all the hide shit I would have won" lol stuff like that. My dad was never big on safes till he seen it was winning me a lot of games then the old man started asking for couches from me for them now he likes them. Safes have won me a lot of tourneys when I was down don't like safes go play golf lololol :thumbup:

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
When someone snookers me with a very talented leave that I can't possibly save, I always quote Gomez Adams... "Dirty pool ol' man... I like it".
Almost anyone can bang their way into a win if you take defensive play out of the game. But there is a true talent to placing a cue ball exactly where it needs to be when there are no viable options, or you see a run if you can just get a quick BIH before the table changes on you.
BBB's (bar box bangers) call defense a weakness because they can't do it. That makes it their weakness and your strength.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said : Love the Gomez Adams quote :smile:

I like the OP's avatar too ! :cool:

Shaft

Hooked and Improving
Silver Member
A well-chosen and well-executed defensive shot can be more difficult and more beautiful to watch than many many offensive shots.

I'm playing a dude at a bar right now...And laughed when I played defense.... Said defense is a chicken**** game and only for losers, and the pros of the game never play defense. "He knows", because he's played 100 dollar games before....lmao

That's when you offer all the breaks, ball in hand after the bresk and you can't play safes....for 100 a game. You gotta treat customers like him right.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I played most of my life in unorganized bar play coming up in an era where playing safe wasn't looked upon too well.

It was different though when I went into pool halls, where this skill set could be, and often was, the difference between walking out a loser or winner. I liked my money - I adapted. ;)

To this day in some bars I still hear people pissing and moaning over playing defensive shots and I usually try to make the point that it is a skill worth learning; that this really is how the pros play.

Lo and behold, just this year for the very first time, our in town league adopted defensive play as an acceptable option as long as you make a good hit on your ball and get a rail. :cool: :joyful: :clapping:

Perhaps we are coming out of the dark ages, after all. :thumbup:

But don't use the "granny stick" (aka bridge) too much. ;)

And Lord have mercy, don't you dare wear a shooting glove in one of these joints . . . :eek:

best,
brian kc

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member

on hooking people.

gonna find a way out."

lol

My bud just hands the ball to his opponent and ask him to place it exactly where he (the opponent) will most likely win the game. The opponent always says, I don't wanna do that. So, then he ask him, "What shot should I shoot so you win?" That tends to shut up the complainers and highlight their real problem.

Then the game continues with the safeties a part of it.

Jeff Livingston

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
Here's two of the very best at playing "weak." To cap it, Selby is down 3-0 and needs the frame to "stay alive" against O'Sullivan. A safety battle ensues and the winner always has favor in the outcome. They are both shooting RED.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9lP0UfahcA

If it doesn't start. Go to 41:35, ....... the battle goes on through to past the 45 min mark.

9mm tip, 12ft table, and they lay white down like it has a roadmap.

Know the felt :grin: