who makes the best curly maple shaft

poolguppy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like the title says I'm looking for a curly maple shaft for my custom Thompson, 30" with ivory ferrule and joint with matching ringwork. I'm not really planning on playing with it as I have a laminated shaft and a steve klapp OG on order, more for aesthetics and collecting to match my cue well, I just find them very pretty and would like to have one, but most playable one I can find still as I'm sure I will try it out for awhile, so who does them the best? Thanks in advance

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like the title says I'm looking for a curly maple shaft for my custom Thompson, 30" with ivory ferrule and joint with matching ringwork. I'm not really planning on playing with it as I have a laminated shaft and a steve klapp OG on order, more for aesthetics and collecting to match my cue well, I just find them very pretty and would like to have one, but most playable one I can find still as I'm sure I will try it out for awhile, so who does them the best? Thanks in advance

Thats a new one on me. Ive never seen shafts made from curly maple. Just butts and forearms. Usually Northern Hard Rock maple is used for a shaft. Bet it does look good though. The forearm in my Viking is curly maple.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thats a new one on me. Ive never seen shafts made from curly maple. Just butts and forearms. Usually Northern Hard Rock maple is used for a shaft. Bet it does look good though. The forearm in my Viking is curly maple.

Ur missing out man!!! They usually palsy great!!!!!

Found a bar cue w a Curley shaft and it plays damn goood

63Kcode

AKA Larry Vigus
Silver Member
I recommend getting the maker of your cue to make one. Even if you have to buy the blank yourself and send it to him. They do play great. Some people can't get over the looks of them. They say it distracts them.

Larry

poolguppy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recommend getting the maker of your cue to make one. Even if you have to buy the blank yourself and send it to him. They do play great. Some people can't get over the looks of them. They say it distracts them.

Larry

Unfortunately he got out if making cues in 07 , wouldn't even make me custom joint protectors :( .

Thanks guys I'll check out Jack Madden maddens work!

NolesFan83

Wannabe pool player
Silver Member
Ur missing out man!!! They usually palsy great!!!!!

Found a bar cue w a Curley shaft and it plays damn goood

That's what I did. I ended up buying the house cue from the bar for like 10 bucks then had a friend of mine make me a shaft. Thing played lights out.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's what I did. I ended up buying the house cue from the bar for like 10 bucks then had a friend of mine make me a shaft. Thing played lights out.

My buddy was about to pull the trigger and buy the house cue and the. It was gone. Guess one guy re-tips all the bar cues n Stockton and he just collects the. Re-tips them all and then gives the bar the # of cues they had done. Not the specific cues that went to thst specific bar

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a very good one made by Bob Meucci. The new PRO shaft. It is the ONLY one I have seen, so I don't know if they all are made of curly maple.

jka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a curly shaft that came with a cue that I had made by Russ Espiritu in 1994. It plays very crisply.

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
Jack Madden was my first thought as well. He does outstanding work.

poolguppy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I sent Jack an email through his website but haven't heard back, it was last updated in 08 so I suppose I should try giving him a call next

j_zippel

Big Tuna
Silver Member
Curly Shaft

I've got a curly maple shaft from Steve Klapp with some nice figure and hits real nice. Not sure I'd recommend him though, not because of his work but he doesn't seem to return emails...

Drawman623

Box Cue lover
Silver Member
Best curly shaft

DPK / Ed Young
They have worked with tiger maple shaft wood.
As far as getting the work done though, I can't say they're taking orders now.

Another name that comes to mind is Kenny Koo. I'm not sure if he has any curly shaft wood on hand, but his shafts play out of this world and he is a fine person to deal with (Flying Snail)

pacemonster

"Billiard" Mike
Silver Member
I've got a curly maple shaft from Steve Klapp with some nice figure and hits real nice. Not sure I'd recommend him though, not because of his work but he doesn't seem to return emails...

I got a chance to shoot with AZB'r Ideology (Patrick) two Brunswick conversion cues (and jump) with Steve's curly maple shafts. They hit very nice and look at of this world. Definitely something different from the norm. I now have 3 on order for myself. Your best bet is to call him. He always answers my calls. And I'm a nobody ;)