Do people still use Szamboti's, Palmers, Rambo's etc...

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
A question I get asked quite a bit is do people STILL use vintage cues as their everyday players. One common misconception, and I feel pretty much an outright lie, is the cues fall apart because of old glue, and they didn't have the "tolerances" that are used today. These two cues are still used by their owners, every day they play. The Palmer is owned by the original owner who bought the cue is 1969, and its all original. That's 46 years of constant use, The Gus Szamboti cue has been with the same owner since the late 80's early 90's. These cues get used every day with their original shafts... go figure. So your investment can be your everyday player, and be enjoyed for table use.

JV

Attachments

• cues_fore.jpg
    cues_fore.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 1,214
  • cues_butt.jpg
    cues_butt.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 1,263

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Agree with you, Joe. A lot of 60s and 70s cues are extremely playable. Every time I pull out my 60s Palmer C, I note that it doesn't rattle whatsoever, even though probably most of the glue in it is probably carpenter's wood glue, given its age. Here's to some of the old classics.

All the best,
WW

Attachments

• DSCN0347.jpg
    DSCN0347.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 1,129
  • DSCN0349.jpg
    DSCN0349.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 1,084
  • DSCN0354.jpg
    DSCN0354.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 1,133
  • DSCN0361.jpg
    DSCN0361.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 1,124

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used a mid-80's Gus as my daily player for about 7 years. Only 30 years old. No problems with structural integrity. It wouldn't be right to let it sit in a case.

Badbeat13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes. It's not my player, but my steel joint Gus plays
as good or better than all the cues I own. I can see
what all the rage was/is, Gus' cues play incredible
and have superb balance.

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never Understood The Question

I played with my Palmer from 1974 right through to 2013 when my first custom was delivered, but the Palmer is still in regular use. I never understood the argument against using vintage cues as daily players.

Attachments

• Palmer Model  9.jpg
    Palmer Model 9.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 902

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agree with you, Joe. A lot of 60s and 70s cues are extremely playable. Every time I pull out my 60s Palmer C, I note that it doesn't rattle whatsoever, even though probably most of the glue in it is probably carpenter's wood glue, given its age. Here's to some of the old classics.

All the best,
WW

Had that exact same cue for a while. Think I sold it when I bought my Joss.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
My 2nd catalog model M stays mainly in the closet. I bring it out for nostalgia reasons from time to time. I'm the original owner, has my name in the foil.

That said, I much prefer playing with my Josey. The Palmer draws unneeded and unwanted attention and the Josey has a better hit for my taste.

Apologies about the pics...all I have is a cheap point & shoot and I'm not very good with it.

Attachments

• DSCN0197.jpg
    DSCN0197.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 780
  • DSCN0198.jpg
    DSCN0198.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 783

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Still have my old Palmer (ebony Titlist blank) and my plain four point Gus.. still play the Gus for One Pocket occasionally, used to be my regular player, hits so nice.
My regular player is a plain four point Scruggs, it's almost 30 years old, and I wouldn't play with anything else.

If it ain't broke.....

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Definitely meant to be played. If I get my long ago ordered Szamboti, believe me, I'll be playing with it.

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm of the belief that a cue is meant to be played with, otherwise it ceases to be a cue, it is nearly inlaid wood in the form of a cue. Besides my mid 90's Scruggs, all of my Cues are older than me.

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Anything I buy along these lines is to be enjoyed and played with whether an expensive collectable cue or guitar. Why keep the thing under the bed or in a closet? We're all renting them anyway!

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I'm of the belief that a cue is meant to be played with, otherwise it ceases to be a cue, it is nearly inlaid wood in the form of a cue. Besides my mid 90's Scruggs, all of my Cues are older than me.

Believe me, if I thought my Palmer played better than my Josey, I'd still be using it....
despite it's ability to gather too much attention.

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unwanted Attention

I guess how much attention a cue garners depends upon the room.

I rotate my Palmers weekly and most people don't have any idea what I am using. One time I brought a Model 20 and my team captain asked me if I was using an extension on my cue.

Most players at my local hall just think I am playing with old cues. The only time I thought I was playing with a cue with a bit too much flash was when I brought my catalog perfect Model B.

Attachments

• P7073794.jpg
    P7073794.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 331

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I shoot with my Brunswick Willie Hoppe model as my every day cue. It's been been refinished once, which is not bad for an 75 year old cue.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Palmers... what great cues! Old Titlist blanks, really great old shaft wood... the only knock I see is most are 57", and their idea of screw-on ferrules:confused:
The first palmer I owned had the screw-on ferrule... never understood that idea.

BBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last year I switched 'em up, played with a Spain, Hoppe Pro, Palmer, Davis, Rambo and ended up with my vintage '65 Petersen...

This year playing my '95 Hercek Five Veneer along with the '65 Pedersen, you can't beat a "Full Spliced" cue.

BBC

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last year I switched 'em up, played with a Spain, Hoppe Pro, Palmer, Davis, Rambo and ended up with my vintage '65 Petersen...

This year playing my '95 Hercek Five Veneer along with the '65 Pedersen, you can't beat a "Full Spliced" cue.

BBC

Peterson? Dude you're killing me!... I used to play One Hole with a guy who had one..
killer cues. I think the takeaway is that they're POOL CUES.. the makers created them to go out and shoot pool !
Like a '59 Les Paul, it IS a little risky taking a Gus or Bushka out to play every day, guys coming over and commenting,etc.

And there are cues that are just ridiculous wall hangers... way to much work and inlay.