Trouble with extreme right or left English...

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just wanted to bring up a very interesting point on the forum.. Almost all players have trouble getting right English or left English. Does anyone on here understand why? One way feels pretty comfortable but the other way just feels a little uncomfortable. . Please do not reply to this without first getting on the table and feeling this for yourself. Plus, one way you will get plenty of English but the other way you won't be getting hardly any but feel you are until you raise up your head and actually see where the cue tip is. Let's see what we come up with as the reason for this??????

I will share the answer in a few days. Someone might have the right answer but probably not. It's pretty tough to know why this happens. :thumbup:

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If a player has ocular vision and shoots with only one eye they might not have this trouble. Just wanted to make a note. That is only about 2 to 5 % pf all players.

EddieBme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If a player has ocular vision and shoots with only one eye they might not have this trouble. Just wanted to make a note. That is only about 2 to 5 % pf all players.

So does it have something to do with the eyes crossing at some point?

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
eyes(grin)

Gene,

I suspect you are fishing for eyes but the truth is that anyone that uses backhand english has two issues. One is the strange perspective when the tip is outside of whatever you want to call your viewing plane, somewhere between your two eyes or down the line from your master eye to the target if you are extremely strong eye dominant. The tip and the point you are hitting on the cue ball are kinda out there in no-mans land.

The other thing is that your hands and whole body can get a bit contorted trying to bend around the cue stick. Angling the stick enough to get maximum side spin to that side can be awkward from a purely physical standpoint.

All of these issues go away or are minimized to the point they aren't noticeable by the simple expedient of using parallel side, moving the front and back of your stick over an equal amount. I have experimented a bit with front hand english too. Not enough to always plant my bridge properly after making a shift in the air but I find that front hand english is probably superior to backhand english because you don't angle the stick nearly as much.

Front hand english has the same flaw as back hand english of moving the tip out in no-mans land but seemingly not as far. If I had better table access I would spend more time with it.

Hu

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Almost all players have trouble getting right English or left English. Does anyone on here understand why? One way feels pretty comfortable but the other way just feels a little uncomfortable.

I honest to god have no idea what you're talking about. I tried about 20 different shots in as many situations as I could come up with, and extreme right and extreme left seem identical to me in every way.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
???????????????????????????????

How does that correct for squirt?

pj
chgo

pj,

You either need more coffee or less of what you partook of last night. I mentioned several issues, none of which was squirt. To save you further confusion I am pasting my first post in this thread below.

Hu

Gene,

I suspect you are fishing for eyes but the truth is that anyone that uses backhand english has two issues. One is the strange perspective when the tip is outside of whatever you want to call your viewing plane, somewhere between your two eyes or down the line from your master eye to the target if you are extremely strong eye dominant. The tip and the point you are hitting on the cue ball are kinda out there in no-mans land.

The other thing is that your hands and whole body can get a bit contorted trying to bend around the cue stick. Angling the stick enough to get maximum side spin to that side can be awkward from a purely physical standpoint.

All of these issues go away or are minimized to the point they aren't noticeable by the simple expedient of using parallel side, moving the front and back of your stick over an equal amount. I have experimented a bit with front hand english too. Not enough to always plant my bridge properly after making a shift in the air but I find that front hand english is probably superior to backhand english because you don't angle the stick nearly as much.

Front hand english has the same flaw as back hand english of moving the tip out in no-mans land but seemingly not as far. If I had better table access I would spend more time with it.

Hu

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
threads

But what you suggest ("using parallel side, moving the front and back of your stick over an equal amount") will miss most shots because of squirt. What am I misunderstanding?

pj
chgo

pj,

You are misunderstanding that every thread isn't about squirt. You are flat wrong about squirt too but that is a matter for another thread, you know, one about squirt! This thread is Gene's coy way to start a thread concerning his beliefs about eyes.

Hu

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member

I was about to say I've never noticed a difference at all. Then you say this. I am blind in one eye.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Trouble with extreme right or left English..

Extreme right English trolls the lib-tards, extreme left yanks the wing-nuts chain.
Either one leads to perverse confrontational semantics and wastes a lot of time that could be better spent at the pool table.

:D

anon.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I honest to god have no idea what you're talking about. I tried about 20 different shots in as many situations as I could come up with, and extreme right and extreme left seem identical to me in every way.

Agreed.
This is a simple game and no need to over think it to death.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
When Geno talks, I listen.

I've had the privilege of playing Geno for many years and talking pool with him. When he first started playing again I was pretty skeptical of what he was saying. Then we played a few $100 sets of 9 ball on a 9' diamond with shimmed pockets and he just ran me over without missing anything I can remember for hours. He got me curious to say the least.

Since then he's showed me a number of things about pool that I had never thought of before. Some have made a big difference to me. Others I haven't figured out how to work into my game, it just doesn't make sense to me. But one thing is for sure, even those things I don't understand I don't dismiss. When it comes to pool Geno has a profound understanding of the game and he is not to be eye rolled. The man built himself into a table running machine and is passionately trying to share this with others.

He's no spring chicken and he has fought really hard to overcome a lot of health issues and still fights the best players in MN through grit and experience. He knows his personal pool journey isn't going to lead to world titles in his future at this point. But he hangs on and fights hard, and contributes his experience to the next generation. Trust me, he's not getting rich doing this, he is not Kevin Trudeau.

Now, we have every right to challenge what he says, and you can debate if you don't agree with any of his ideas. I don't question his accuracy but sometimes I find things harder to understand intellectually than to just do, and I understand overthinking things can be an issue. But then again if you're not getting the results you want you have to be open to new ideas. Either way, I never question Geno when it comes to his character or his credentials (or his pool game)!

OK, as to his specific question. I personally don't notice a huge difference between left or right, but if I had to guess I'd say I might have a slight preference for right spin. I am right handed and I remember Robert Byrne saying right handed players preferred right spin, and visa versa. I am now wondering if it has to do with how I'm viewing the cue ball. I know Joe Tucker has a 'Third Eye Trainer' which I've used, I learned a few years ago what I thought was center was actually a hair to the right. I'm all ears as to the answer from Gene.

MitchDAZB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just wanted to bring up...
Hello, Gene. Hope you are well.

I'm right handed and was taught to use both front- and back-hand english, so yes, where left english felt more comfortable at first, right english felt a little inside-out, kinda like an inside-out forehand in tennis. Right english isn't a problem, but when learning, I recall left english felt a little bit more natural.