Pool Ball Collecting.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am always amazed at what you create and share with us from your very impressive collection, RC....all literal works of art that leave me inspired to follow your impressive lead - ever since your first post beginning this thread. It’s been a pleasure every step.

I recall the excitement in your email from last year hearing of this fortuitous find after 25+ years of your searching high and low....and took less than one second to say I would assist in whatever manner was necessary to make it happen. It was an honor to work with XPLSV and yourself, sir, to take receipt of the treasured dromedaries and give them proper cleaning, polishing and care. A prize, indeed! I just wish I would have played a few racks with them before polishing

Yet another wonderful tale of the extremely generous folks we’ve come across over the last few years here on AZB that either go to great lengths or show us generosity bordering on fairy tales. Karma, my friend, is very much alive and real here on AZB.

I’m genuinely looking forward to the next chance to assist, sir, in our global treasure hunt for ball sets needing new caretakers, and pay things forward in honor for all those that have helped me along the way.

The Ashford Collection is being shared in a most glorious manner, RC - bravo!!

~K.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Thank you, Mr K. :)

I’m working on your sincerely appreciated gift of those beautiful Stone Cold Balls for my next insert card, sir. They’re proving quite a tough challenge to draw! :)

Best wishes, dear fellow.
RC.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks a lot for the pics, K2Kraze. It is always interesting to see what can be done.

Hello to you in Munich, Meucciplayer -

Your always kind replies, sir, gave me an idea that I thought you may appreciate and get a kick out of...

I know I’ve already posted and shared one of the Meucci ball sets I have in my collection and have always enjoyed playing....so I went to the Vault of Balls and extracted the Meucci Professional Tournament Player’s Set for a special photo session and layout this morning with a custom blended espresso in tow.

This particular ball layout is one of my top 2 favorites and incorporates a bit of fun and mystery. A puzzle of sorts. Can you see the significance?

For you, sir:

8659ed3686e5b6e95edc5c957469d7b9.jpg

An interesting side note about the Meucci ball box they come in, is that being called the “Professional” set, they have photographs of pro players around each of the 4 sides with 4 pics per side. 16 photos in all.

- Reed Pierce (2x)
- Loree Jon Jones (2x)
- Jim Rempe (2x)
- Ray Schultz
- Howard Vickery
- Jeff Carter
- Buddy Hall (2x)
- Nick Varner (2x)
- Gerry Watson
- Tony Ellin
- David Howard

Why some folks are pictured twice is beyond me. Perhaps there were only 11 pros available and willing to give Bob Meucci permission to have their faces and names on his box......and each one of the pros listed have quite an illustrious and interesting career.

Hope you enjoy it, sir.

~ K.

Last edited:

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why some folks are pictured twice is beyond me. Perhaps there were only 11 pros available and willing to give Bob Meucci permission to have their faces and names on his box......and each one of the pros listed have quite an illustrious and interesting career.

Maybe those were the Professionals sponsored by Meucci at the time?

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought the same thing, rexus31, like the pros they have on their website currently.

Meucciplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello to you in Munich, Meucciplayer -

Thanks for the greetings across the big pond.

This particular ball layout is one of my top 2 favorites and incorporates a bit of fun and mystery. A puzzle of sorts. Can you see the significance?

You mean - 30 in a row?

Hope you enjoy it, sir.

~ K.

Sure do. Being a dedicated Meucci fan. :)

I have heard of Meucci ball sets but I don't think I have ever played with one. They were probably made by Hyatt, right?

Had to google a bit and low and behold, an old AZB thread came up on the first page:

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=337965

Thanks again for posting those,

Meucciplayer

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Today, a DIY, real example of how you, too, can go from fan to fanatical as a pool ball collector...it’s easy. I’ll show you.

You’re a sports, fan, huh?

In my weekly travels near and far, the obligatory “Where are you from?” is immediately followed with “So, are you a Dallas Cowboys fan?” Every time

This is where it starts....perhaps a gift....

8f8fb1865b5a53c7701516731812d4be.jpg

I love the play. The dark blues against the incredible silvers. Spring training. A scrimmage game perhaps. Yeah, that sounds reasonable.

Wait. I have an idea! My brother thinks HIS team is mightier than my hometown favorite....this will really get him going (he replied within 15 seconds to this text pic):

89679f922db3f43072110f4edb960faf.jpg

Which turns to

8dbc6dbea95fd8f9c03424930a775255.jpg

Then I get to thinking later that night. Dreaming is what most people call it .

Picture this: a man rifles through a current BCA Official Rules & Regulations book while standing in front of prized NFL ball sets - wearing an official NFL team jersey of course - his feverish search for what he’s sure are rules made for such ball sets. There HAS TO BE such a game like there is for Baseball Pocket Billiards. A furrowed brow. A quizzical look. A harrumph can be heard. He traipses over to the library he’s assembled that he just KNEW the day would arrive where there would be a (need) to have every one of the Official Rule Books since 1945 (scribbles on a post-it note to remind his wife of this told-you-so moment)....

Nope. No FOOTBALL game rules.

11 men for each team.

I’ll mix and match them.

Wait. Too many different balls on the table to easily tell apart with home and away jersey colors for each opponent.....it’s unorganized. Confusing.

I need 11 of each team with the same colored jerseys that not only look good but are opposing enough to easily distinguish on the baize. (Can’t have a dark navy team play a black team - my pal Mark is color blind and he’ll blow a gasket looking for logos).

A few days later...two more ball sets arrive. I have this figured out.

414819698ef5e4fbe8bc566cd149d4af.jpg

Which (naturally) turns to

9a263e5d8e5855bfb663ec5521206eff.jpg

Leading to

39f0e57cba7415bbaa1884e014518e52.jpg

Now THAT is FOOTBALL.

Of course I developed a complete rule set for the game - if anyone is interested.

Sep 5th is the start date for the regular season. You have time to prepare.

f882848eabc723d805f78e12467b9f84.jpg

~ K.

Last edited:

Meucciplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, tell us your football rules. I love football. Not so much baseball and basketball. Although pool baseball is nice. :)

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is a snippet from my draft copy of the complete FOOTBALL rule set I’ve devised, with a few sections not depicted like the Strategies, Examples and FAQ.

ec9fce58ea06b24607789b07bab54386.plist
7d997e3f572998f25f27fd1ae0730f2b.plist

~K.

Last edited:

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello, RC!

Thank you for checking in and offering your always-kind comments, sir. Perhaps I can get an assist with final design elements for a few of my new and innovative games when ready to break past the draft stage, sir?

~ K.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Absolutely, dear fellow. :)

I’ve just fired across an email on that very subject actually, my friend... the three-dimensional diagram as promised yesterday. I hope it meets with your approval, sir.

Best wishes,

RC.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great to see you back on the PBC thread, RC - and your words are both sincerely appreciated and most generous, sir!

There is much to share and as I’ve read somewhere, when passion is your drive, the journey is unending and effortless. There is much to do

Here is a follow-up pic of the “new” Saratoga ball set design as you would see it racked per the unique rules - a design that eventually was manufactured by none other than Aramith - for both the creator, Mr. E.J. Glode Of Saratoga, Wyoming, and those of us throughout the world perusing threads here on AZB...

57f9e1470e2b256ee2853581215dcfcc.jpg

This classic numeral design is one of their most instantly recognizable sets and hails from their Premier line of balls....which they (Aramith) also used for the expanded baseball set posted earlier in this thread.

The initial idea and following ball design for this new game called Saratoga was found to be so unique that some folks thought it was too esoteric - which led to this set being the logical next step....pick your group (solids or stripes) and simply shoot them in numerical order as one would for 9 Ball while saving the game winning black ball for last. Simply brilliant in it’s design.

Stay tuned for a look at the original Saratoga set when I’m finished restoring and polishing them to the glory they deserve - just before they get racked and played for a special invitation-only night of billiards in honor of this fun game and ball set.

For now ~

K.

Is this set still available for purchase, new?

Thanks,

jv

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ahhhh. The sweet Saratoga ball set - version 2.

2a9e6e4ebceb2891fd26d8efc00e4e21.jpg

A friend of mine snagged a new set a months ago....I have no idea of availability now though. They were available in limited numbers I recall.

Send me an email for contact details, sir. Or PM through the forum if you prefer.

toKerry@aol.com

~ K.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ahhhh. The sweet Saratoga ball set - version 2.

2a9e6e4ebceb2891fd26d8efc00e4e21.jpg

A friend of mine snagged a new set a months ago....I have no idea of availability now though. They were available in limited numbers I recall.

Send me an email for contact details, sir. Or PM through the forum if you prefer.

toKerry@aol.com

~ K.

Thanks, email sent.

jv

bfriesth

Bolder
Silver Member
Superb work, Mr K.

Thank you for sharing your inspired designs with us, sir.

Best wishes,

RC.

Thanks for the fun set of rules for Football. I have my additional sets to make two teams of 11 in the mail to me now.

Would all of you lend me your expertise on the set below. I bought an antique, restored, Brunswick pool ball wall display. I paid an extra $150 for "antique clay" balls to come with the display. I have been telling my friends that they are antique Brunswick clay pool balls from the early 1900s. Do you think my description accurate?

IMG_5537.jpg

IMG_5539.jpg

IMG_5540.jpg

IMG_5542.jpg

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Good afternoon, Mr B. :)

Congratulations on another beautiful addition to your growing collection, sir. Alas, anything older than me (1969) is outside my particular field of expertise, but I’m sure some of the more knowledgeable folks will be along later to help out, dear chap.

Best wishes,
RC.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the fun set of rules for Football. I have my additional sets to make two teams of 11 in the mail to me now.

Would all of you lend me your expertise on the set below. I bought an antique, restored, Brunswick pool ball wall display. I paid an extra $150 for "antique clay" balls to come with the display. I have been telling my friends that they are antique Brunswick clay pool balls from the early 1900s. Do you think my description accurate?
They look like relatively standard clay balls of a design that was used into the 1960s. You can find similar sets in displayable -- cracked a little like yours gives character -- for about $100 on Ebay. With that much cracking those balls look like they could be from the 1930s. If you look carefully at the colors the set was probably assembled from multiple partial sets perhaps of different vintages.

In case anyone is interested in getting some clay balls playable and otherwise, I have extras.

Last edited:

bfriesth

Bolder
Silver Member
hey guys;

went to the pool hall yest and my good buddy and reg doubles partner, Dennis, came up to me with a box of Hyatt Bicents in very nice used condition asking if I knew what the value was. I think I do have a general idea but there are much better informed ball collectors in this thread who could be more precise, I'm sure.

So...

no sugar coating, just the facts.

What would you guys say the successful sale price could be for these as opposed to the pie-in-the-sky-kidding-oneself-it'll-never-sell-for-price?

He is interested to sell these, btw.

here's a few pics for reference and thanks for the assist.

best,
brian kc

Just got a set of Bicentennials yesterday. I found them on eBay for $299. Claimed to be new but when they arrived I had my doubts. After a quick polish, though, they may be new. They look very good other than a very slight nick on the 12 ball. I like 'em.

IMG_5532.jpg

IMG_5534.jpg