New Place to Play in Philly

tonyboy59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While visiting my friends and family in Philadelphia, Penn I accidently ran across a new pool hall not far from where I used to live. Only opened less than two months ago and I was impressed when I went inside.

In this day and age where closing these places is more common that opening one...well it brought a smile to my face. If you live or travel in the area check it out...

Bluegrass Billiards
9490 Blue Grass Rd,
Philadelphia, PA 19114

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=e...hUKEwiertTruMXdAhWMrFMKHYNdBJMQoiowCnoECAoQCQ

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While visiting my friends and family in Philadelphia, Penn I accidently ran across a new pool hall not far from where I used to live. Only opened less than two months ago and I was impressed when I went inside.

In this day in age where closing these places is more common that opening one...well it brought a smile to my face. If you live or travel in the area check it out...

Bluegrass Billiards
9490 Blue Grass Rd,
Philadelphia, PA 19114

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=e...hUKEwiertTruMXdAhWMrFMKHYNdBJMQoiowCnoECAoQCQ
Wow, based on the photos, a very nice looking room with numerous bar boxes and 9-footers - appears to be at least 20 total tables. I assume they needed the bar boxes to attract league play - a smart move.

Mkbtank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
40 tables total including 16 bar tables! Also 2 Billiard tables and table tennis. Table time is $3.00 from 10:00-5 and $5.00 from 5:00pm till close. Seniors are $3.00 all day every day.

Lots of action too :). (And no I don’t work there)

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's my old stomping ground. Piece of trivia...That intersection (Roosevelt Blvd and Grant Ave) is one of the top 3 most dangerous intersections in the country.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
40 tables total including 16 bar tables! Also 2 Billiard tables and table tennis. Table time is $3.00 from 10:00-5 and $5.00 from 5:00pm till close. Seniors are $3.00 all day every day.

Lots of action too :). (And no I don’t work there)
To clarify, is that $3/hr for seniors all day every day or $3 for seniors total all day charge? The $3 charge all day would be a little too good to be true and would be hard to stay in business!

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yup, quite a room. Lots of action. The best players in the area play out of there. Tuesday night 9 ball handicapped tournament. Apparently last night 1st payed $400 or thereabouts. Not bad for a Tuesday night tournament.

Their 3 cushion tables are not heated but are covered in some newfangled European cloth and it plays fast. An Olehausen and an old Brunswick. Love the old Brunswick.

And yes, be careful driving on Roosevelt Boulevard. It's a deathtrap.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That's my old stomping ground. Piece of trivia...That intersection (Roosevelt Blvd and Grant Ave) is one of the top 3 most dangerous intersections in the country.

I think it's worse and growing. Trying to cross the intersection on foot is suicide. Red Lion/US1 not much better.

I hope Blue Grass gets and stays successful real fast.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That definitely ranks. It should be used to pass a driving test.
As for Grant & US1 in a perfect world it would be fine. PERFECT WORLD...driving speed limit and paying attention.

My guide to people trying to get through that is "close your eyes and hit the gas". With Worcester city drivers using Red lights as suggestions and usually one or two cars run a Red in the area anyway, trying to figure out right of way with a 5 way intersection with Yield and Stop signs is hopeless. The way that intersection works is that you just have to go and count on the other cars not to hit you.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Their 3 cushion tables are not heated but are covered in some newfangled European cloth and it plays fast. An Olehausen and an old Brunswick. Love the old Brunswick.

And yes, be careful driving on Roosevelt Boulevard. It's a deathtrap.

Must be royal pro, what i have on my table

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good looking room. I'm glad some people are smartening up that you need a good decent amount of bar tables to attract as many leagues as possible. people may hate them, but they are a good cash flow for the room owners.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good looking room. I'm glad some people are smartening up that you need a good decent amount of bar tables to attract as many leagues as possible. people may hate them, but they are a good cash flow for the room owners.

I've been there twice and I can't remember seeing many on the bar tables. This room attracts the best players in the tri-state area and when they get together they seem to play on the Gold Crowns. The owner of Bluegrass used to own Tacony Billiards and his regulars migrated over to Fusco's and now they have migrated back to Bluegrass it seems.

The 3 cushion tables are usually in play though.

Maybe word will get around about the bar tables. They are Valleys.