one pocket rule ?

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Player A owes 1 ball.
Player A shoots a couple in his pocket and plays a safe.
Player B then plays a safe.
Player A starts to shoot and sees that he still owes a ball.
What happens now?

tenfttall

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Player A owes 1 ball.

What happens now?

Most players play it spots up when player A completes his current inning. I’ve also seen the “snooze you lose” rule in effect.

I’d be curious to know the rule at DCC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Player A owes 1 ball.
What happens now?
There has to be enough time for both players to react to the "new" situation. The ball should spot at the end of B's next turn. Here is the rule from onepocket.org, the de facto official rule set, along with some explanation:

9.4 If any owed balls, or balls that have fallen into a neutral pocket are forgotten and later remembered, then instead of being spotted after the current shooter’s inning, they are spotted after the end of the next player’s inning, unless there are no balls left on the table, in which case they are all spotted immediately. In any case, any owed balls are not forgiven, but still must be paid.

In practice, forgotten balls may be spotted at any time after they are remembered, as long as both players agree on the timing; if either player objects to an earlier spotting, then rule 9.4 should be followed.

Please note that playing ‘snooze you lose’ is the rare exception in house rules; it is by no means the standard rule, and it should only be accepted when it is clearly and mutually agreed on by both players before play begins.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Player A owes 1 ball.
What happens now?

Players A and B get into a huge argument. A fight ensues, and other patrons join in. The brawl spills out into the street. The police show up and haul everyone off to the slammer. The pool hall gets shut down over community concern that pool is a bad influence on today's youth.

Let that be a lesson to you.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Players A and B get into a huge argument. A fight ensues, and other patrons join in. The brawl spills out into the street. The police show up and haul everyone off to the slammer. The pool hall gets shut down over community concern that pool is a bad influence on today's youth.

Let that be a lesson to you.
Well, no, not actually. Because it is one pocket, the first actual blow is not struck until about 3AM and by that time everyone but the night watchman has gone home. And since both players are 80 years old, no real damage is done.:grin:

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There has to be enough time for both players to react to the "new" situation. The ball should spot at the end of B's next turn. Here is the rule from onepocket.org, the de facto official rule set, along with some explanation:

9.4 If any owed balls, or balls that have fallen into a neutral pocket are forgotten and later remembered, then instead of being spotted after the current shooter’s inning, they are spotted after the end of the next player’s inning, unless there are no balls left on the table, in which case they are all spotted immediately. In any case, any owed balls are not forgiven, but still must be paid.

In practice, forgotten balls may be spotted at any time after they are remembered, as long as both players agree on the timing; if either player objects to an earlier spotting, then rule 9.4 should be followed.

Please note that playing ‘snooze you lose’ is the rare exception in house rules; it is by no means the standard rule, and it should only be accepted when it is clearly and mutually agreed on by both players before play begins.

I like when player A takes a possible punishment
for forgetting.

Its somewhere between onepocket.org and snooze
you lose.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Well, no, not actually. Because it is one pocket, the first actual blow is not struck until about 3AM and by that time everyone but the night watchman has gone home. And since both players are 80 years old, no real damage is done.:grin:

True, but with one pocket there's always the chance that someone will be gummed to death.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I like when player A takes a possible punishment
for forgetting.

Its somewhere between onepocket.org and snooze
you lose.
It's the opposite of "snooze you lose" in which the debt is forgiven because the innocent player didn't remember to demand payment. Here is a possible rule that implements the "sly fox pays" idea:

If a player owes a ball at the end of his inning and fails to spot it promptly -- before the other player is ready to shoot -- the incoming player may either take that ball as his or have it spotted at the start of his inning. This choice applies to each ball owed and available in the case multiple balls are owed at the same time.​
Basically, if I have to remind my opponent to pay his debt, I get the ball.

That should encourage better memories.:thumbup:

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's the opposite of "snooze you lose" in which the debt is forgiven because the innocent player didn't remember to demand payment. Here is a possible rule that implements the "sly fox pays" idea:

If a player owes a ball at the end of his inning and fails to spot it promptly -- before the other player is ready to shoot -- the incoming player may either take that ball as his or have it spotted at the start of his inning. This choice applies to each ball owed and available in the case multiple balls are owed at the same time.​

That should encourage better memories.:thumbup:

Can you imagine Earl forgets to spot his balls and
puts his opponent on the hill/ win.

That would sent him into an F5:):):)

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That should encourage better memories.
:thumbup:

It happened Saturday to my opponent.
He is 70 and I'm 72.
Memory is always a problem when we play.
That is why I always have the right pocket and he has the left pocket.
We were having a problem remembering when we alternated pockets.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Player A owes 1 ball.
What happens now?

He keeps his mouth shut, if the ball is gonna spot up against the cue ball on his shot, I tell you that.

I trust the rest of you were able to figure out the ruling :boring2:ers

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It happened Saturday to my opponent.
He is 70 and I'm 72.
Memory is always a problem when we play.
That is why I always have the right pocket and he has the left pocket.
We were having a problem remembering when we alternated pockets.

Sure sounds like our room, we have a local rule that you only break from the left side, happened due to the short memory of one of the original 1P players, he's gone now but the "rule" hangs on. We also had a marker for him to indicate his pocket. All that aside he was a pretty good player and had one of the best non-pro strokes I have ever seen.