100 ways to level a pool table without a level

RackemBilliards

Player, Room Owner
Silver Member
Level

Bleach on one end, ammonia on the other end. No deadly chlorine gas... you're good!

The easiest way I've found to level a table is calling Mark Gregory. His deadly-chlorine-gas-free installation was an added benefit of hiring a pro.

Yep. That was the only other one I could think of-the telephone:)

OTLB

Banned
Just what you see in the picture. Hardened steel discs of exactly the same thickness you can use where many use razor knife blades under your long level ends to find average level from point to point while keeping the level off the slate. They have enough mass to stay put well if you place them in a pattern around the slate so that you can move your long level setup back to known spots as you level the slates and easier to pick up and move around than a razor blade knife. If you look at the pictures you were making fun of this morning at the side pocket one you can see that
15" level is sitting on them and not on the cloth.

JC

Im not going to argue with your system. But I would throw it out ASAP. Now I'm not here to explain anything because it's not my place but I'm guessing it took you a while to utilize that system. You have introduced too many variables. Now let's keep the thread on track. Thanks

Of course with more of this good humor also. There are about 90 more

Lots of easy ones to cherry pick still. Then it might get a little harder.

Just one happy thread it will be fun

Glen I expect you to add many more

I will type list later so it's looks nice when I'm on a pc

11. A string. Ut oh time to go do a table. Will update after lunch.

Last edited:

JC

Coos Cues
I'm not going to argue with your system. But I would throw it out ASAP. Now I'm not here to explain anything because it's not my place but I'm guessing it took you a while to utilize that system. You have introduced too many variables. Now let's keep the thread on track. Thanks

Na, let's don't.

First of all it's not a "system" John because I don't level tables every day. Secondly you have no idea how I went about it so telling me to "throw it out" is just as ignorant as telling me to throw my level away. To say there are "variables" is also a silly statement as again, you don't remotely know what I did there or in what order. I can tell you I spent about an hour total though. If I did do that every day and expected to be paid however I'm sure I would be considerably more competent than every "mechanic" I have personally hired to come on site. Unfortunately I find this with too many things in life. Hobby by necessity. If I could have Fedexed the entire job to Donny or gotten Glen to come here, that would have been my first choice. But that's just how it is around here. All I ask out of a professional I hire in any field is please do it better than I can with a half hour's research. It's amazing how many people claiming to be professionals in various fields are eliminated with this simple criteria. Having a machine background I have never had trouble getting three pieces of slate on the same plane and parallel to the earth's surface. If I ever decided I had to do something like this for a living I'm sure my techniques would rapidly refine for time savings, but not results. Level is level and once you get there that's it. Sorry for that fundamental truth of physics. I know some would like it to be rocket science to nourish the ego. Maybe you could bring your sting and hinge over here and double check it for me sometime?:)

OTLB

Banned
Na, let's don't.

First of all it's not a "system" John because I don't level tables every day. Secondly you have no idea how I went about it so telling me to "throw it out" is just as ignorant as telling me to throw my level away. To say there are "variables" is also a silly statement as again, you don't remotely know what I did there or in what order. I can tell you I spent about an hour total though. If I did do that every day and expected to be paid however I'm sure I would be considerably more competent than every "mechanic" I have personally hired to come on site. Unfortunately I find this with too many things in life. Hobby by necessity. If I could have Fedexed the entire job to Donny or gotten Glen to come here, that would have been my first choice. But that's just how it is around here. All I ask out of a professional I hire in any field is please do it better than I can with a half hour's research. It's amazing how many people claiming to be professionals in various fields are eliminated with this simple criteria. Having a machine background I have never had trouble getting three pieces of slate on the same plane and parallel to the earth's surface. If I ever decided I had to do something like this for a living I'm sure my techniques would rapidly refine for time savings, but not results. Level is level and once you get there that's it. Sorry for that fundamental truth of physics. I know some would like it to be rocket science to nourish the ego. Maybe you could bring your sting and hinge over here and double check it for me sometime?:)

I I I I I I I I I I

Let's see a picture of the underside of the slate

If you got it done in one hr. my system sucks

The equipment used to make the slate doesn't hold that tolerance

But if you got it that close amd done Please explain all your steps.

My levels are more accurate than yours. Lol

You said it was rocket science not me

I said I have a system to level tables, all kinds

Last one I did with a mech here had no shims. Seams perfect

If yours is better. I'm all ears

Are you color blind?

I will fly you out here foc and you can show me how in one hr with that level you can level the slates
on my next 3 jobs and I will pay you 1000. Dollars. It's only gong to take you 3 hrs we can do the three in one day.

If not you owe me the plane fare and 1000

Let's bet

Last edited:

JC

Coos Cues
I I I I I I I I I I

Let's see a picture of the underside of the slate

If you got it done in one hr. my system sucks

The equipment used to make the slate doesn't hold that tolerance

But if you got it that close amd done Please explain all your steps.

My levels are more accurate than yours. Lol

You said it was rocket science not me

I said I have a system to level tables, all kinds

Last one I did with a mech here had no shims. Seams perfect

If yours is better. I'm all ears

Are color blind?

Not sure I follow all of your ramblings above. That's ok. My observations are that leveling is not the craftsman part of what the top mechanics are doing anyway. Reagan and Bonzo could level a table working together. It's the master woodworking skills and strict attention to detail that separates the tiers of practicing table techs. Some have so much knowledge and experience it blows your mind but for whatever reason their finished product still isn't right. As long as they do work mostly for their peers with the same vision then it's all good. There's an ass for every seat.

I don't think I will bother to explain how I leveled my slates. I'm sure you would just dismiss it out of hand with no accompanying explanation that would make it worth my time. I would like to hear about how you put together the shimless 3 piece slate. That sounds very interesting and possibly informative. Or should I wait for your client who promises not to reveal anything if you let him watch to post the photos here?:rotflmao1:

OTLB

Banned
Not sure I follow all of your ramblings above. That's ok. My observations are that leveling is not the craftsman part of what the top mechanics are doing anyway. Reagan and Bonzo could level a table working together. It's the master woodworking skills and strict attention to detail that separates the tiers of practicing table techs. Some have so much knowledge and experience it blows your mind but for whatever reason their finished product still isn't right. As long as they do work mostly for their peers with the same vision then it's all good. There's an ass for every seat.

I don't think I will bother to explain how I leveled my slates. I'm sure you would just dismiss it out of hand with no accompanying explanation that would make it worth my time. I would like to hear about how you put together the shimless 3 piece slate. That sounds very interesting and possibly informative. Or should I wait for your client who promises not to reveal anything if you let him watch to post the photos here?:rotflmao1:

You insult all mechs. It's ok. They must not pay you much cuz you only have one level. You started it. You can't level like you say. Bet me.

JC

Coos Cues
You insult all mechs. It's ok. They must not pay you much cuz you only have one level. You started it. You can't level like you say. Bet me.

I'm only insulting the hacks. I would like to say that they know who they are but that's probably false too.

"They" don't pay me. I pay employees and vendors and live off what's left over. Believe me I wish sometimes I was in a business as tool light as working on pool tables. I didn't "start it", it was you asking if you were wrong to hide your techniques and I gave an honest opinion that you didn't like. When I decide to quit a forum BTW, it's easy to notice without the girlie drama. I'm just.................................gone! Like when you die.

How do you have any idea if I can "level like I say" anyway? You still have no idea what I started with and what I had to do. So how can we bet?

JC

JC

Coos Cues
I'm only insulting the hacks. I would like to say that they know who they are but that's probably false too.

"They" don't pay me. I pay employees and vendors and live off what's left over. Believe me I wish sometimes I was in a business as tool light as working on pool tables. I didn't "start it", it was you asking if you were wrong to hide your techniques and I gave an honest opinion that you didn't like. When I decide to quit a forum BTW, it's easy to notice without the girlie drama. I'm just.................................gone! Like when you die.

How do you have any idea if I can "level like I say" anyway? You still have no idea what I started with and what I had to do. So how can we bet?

JC[/QUOT

Like when I die?

You said it didn't even take you an hr to level the table which means you had to screw it down etc and use a .0005 and get it like you showed all over.

I said I will fly you out foc and you can prove it. I will be happy to bet you 1000 if you can level 3 tables in One hour per table.

You said you can outperform just about any mech not me

And then you say I die

An implied threat on my life

You implied you were tired of the "I" statements so I was trying to be more PC. It didn't mean you personally dying. Ok it's like when a person dies. Or my ex wife. Is that better? Suddenly I'm thinking you do have level envy syndrome!

Stop the paranoia already!! You're killing me. And not literally!! :lmao::lmao::lmao:

ChesapeakeBlrds

Chesapeake Billiards
Silver Member
You implied you were tired of the "I" statements so I was trying to be more PC. It didn't mean you personally dying. Ok it's like when a person dies. Or my ex wife. Is that better? Suddenly I'm thinking you do have level envy syndrome!

Stop the paranoia already!! You're killing me. And not literally!! :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Cut the shit before I chop your your leg off and use it as a level. NUmber 15?:thumbup:

PETROBOY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OTLB didnt you hate it when the other big name mechs picked on you? Why are you carrying on like this? Im sure there is lots of ways to level a table and Im sure lots of people do it faster then you. Maybe next time ask him for more info rather then telling him to throw out his "system" or tools didnt you say you could level a table without a level?

OTLB

Banned
OTLB didnt you hate it when the other big name mechs picked on you? Why are you carrying on like this? Im sure there is lots of ways to level a table and Im sure lots of people do it faster then you. Maybe next time ask him for more info rather then telling him to throw out his "system" or tools didnt you say you could level a table without a level?

read my threads if you can

piss off

OTLB

Banned
Who needs a break from the board?

OTLB, You are on thin ice.

delete all my threads and ban me do it

GUYS THREATEN ME YOU DO NOTHING!

its all me you even let a thread exist OtLb VS az MECHS bs

you let this forum run crazy forever

you aint got the balls lol not thats funny

you shjould read what you allowed to be posted you dont care you should be fired

Ban me what a joke
just delete all my thread and me please

no tv series nope

i told you over and over anyone with half a brain can see the games

then ban me for life

you let this happen

Last edited: