Cue advice

Jhaxll

Hello, I'm new to the forum. Recently came back to pool after 4 years. My first ever cue was a $100 Action cue. It served me well but the ferrule has cracked. I was browsing through online when I saw a cue that was custom made by one of the cue makers in the US. The seller did not state who he/she was.

I would like to get an opinion on the cue as I'm not as experienced with custom cues and can't really discern quality from fluff. It looks to be pretty reasonable going for $330. Would it be a viable upgrade? The wood used in this cue are stated as cocobola and maple with a 3/8 X 10 joint. Looks to be cored as well. I think it comes with a Lucasi zero flex shaft. Thank you for your help in advance!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191108_183929_com.thecarousell.Carousell.jpg
    Screenshot_20191108_183929_com.thecarousell.Carousell.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 554
  • Screenshot_20191108_183935_com.thecarousell.Carousell.jpg
    Screenshot_20191108_183935_com.thecarousell.Carousell.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 553
  • Screenshot_20191108_183944_com.thecarousell.Carousell.jpg
    Screenshot_20191108_183944_com.thecarousell.Carousell.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 566

Jhaxll

The core wood does not look inspiring

Hi, thanks for your reply. I'm new to the cue construction world and what would constitute a good core wood? Or is the square shape not normal? I would imagine a dowel shape instead?

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For $330 you can get a cue with a proven track record of quality.
Joss
Lucasi
McDermott
Just to name few.

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi, thanks for your reply. I'm new to the cue construction world and what would constitute a good core wood? Or is the square shape not normal? I would imagine a dowel shape instead?

Coring is used for stability and/or butt weight reduction/gain. Straight grain Maple and Amaranth are two popular choices for coring.

brilliance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi

I would not buy any production cue except Mezz. It plays in a range of a good custom cue and holds its value best.

Or get a custom sneaky pete lets say from DZ cues, it will last forever and you will have way better cue.

Custom cue maker selects wood choice and work on your cue to make it perfect white production factory has way lower requirements of wood selection and way less time to spend on your cue!

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Hello, I'm new to the forum. Recently came back to pool after 4 years. My first ever cue was a $100 Action cue. It served me well but the ferrule has cracked. I was browsing through online when I saw a cue that was custom made by one of the cue makers in the US. The seller did not state who he/she was.

I would like to get an opinion on the cue as I'm not as experienced with custom cues and can't really discern quality from fluff. It looks to be pretty reasonable going for $330. Would it be a viable upgrade? The wood used in this cue are stated as cocobola and maple with a 3/8 X 10 joint. Looks to be cored as well. I think it comes with a Lucasi zero flex shaft. Thank you for your help in advance!

This cue is definitely Chinese, whoever is selling this is a liar and not to be trusted in any way

Jhaxll

This cue is definitely Chinese, whoever is selling this is a liar and not to be trusted in any way

I did a reverse image search and the cue indeed shows up in a Chinese website selling pool equipment. Subsequently confirmed by messaging them on Facebook. I did have my suspicion when the seller indicated "US-made" as he claimed the white portion was Ivory, which is illegal for import/export afaik. Nevertheless I thank all for your input. I will probably invest in a Pech or McD.

nj82tj

The dude abides.
Silver Member
Pechauer. Email them directly and they will have your cue built and delivered inside of 7 weeks.