Karl Boyes move at world cup

djyadj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this one will make me miss no matter what. the way he seated leaning to the left with straight face and blinking, i will 100% miss that shot.

I even said it live when that romanian was shooting, I said "why is Karl sitting like this, this romanian will never make the one ball, and he missed it"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9It-WcQQA3Y&feature=player_detailpage#t=1320

That would seem like another spot on :eek:
Weird how he seems to lean as if he's trying to get out of Rom's shooting line, but instead when looked closer he's more like getting in the sight.

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
Shoe shaking = TOTALLY UNPROFESSIONAL

Eye blinking/winking = Only Mr. Fantastic could stretch that far. :D:D

JoeyA

i missed the shoe shaking - i was too busy noticing his crotch-grabbing.
i guess he didn't learn from KK9, that that doesn't work on straight men.
;)

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i missed the shoe shaking - i was too busy noticing his crotch-grabbing.
i guess he didn't learn from KK9, that that doesn't work on straight men.
;)

Pink
That is why his nickname is Guapo. Translated means "Handsome" :D

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Lol
I was watching that part of the video for some body movement and all I saw was the flashing caution lights (eyes blinking). I had to go back and see what you meant about Karl leaning in his chair. That was an extremely peculiar position for him to be sitting in, especially when his opponent was facing him. Maybe he was just reaching for a drink and then thought better of it. :D

JoeyA

this one will make me miss no matter what. the way he seated leaning to the left with straight face and blinking, i will 100% miss that shot.

I even said it live when that romanian was shooting, I said "why is Karl sitting like this, this romanian will never make the one ball, and he missed it"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9It-WcQQA3Y&feature=player_detailpage#t=1320

buddha162

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I'm lined up to my opponent's shot, esp if they're staring right at me past the pocket...I don't even make eye contact. I look down or away, and look back after the shot's complete (like Ralf in the chair). I certainly don't move or twitch a muscle, or lean my body halfway across his line of sight and blink out a SOS.

Pretty basic imo. It's called having manners, and not being a douchebag c*nt. Doesn't matter if my opponent is "sharkable," that's not relevant. It's about basic etiquette at the pool table and being a fkn gentleman.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
NOT sharking

I watched all of this and thought this thread was a joke. I kept waiting for the shark move. I didn't see it. At ALL.

He didn't open his case because once he reached over and saw Ko shooting at him he didn't want to get up, turn around, or make too much movement. Yeah, he didn't get anything out of the case because it was now his turn. I promise if Ko made that shot he would've proceeded.

As for the next part with him wiping his eyes, all I can think is that I have a different definition of sharking than most of y'all.

I played Karl in the US Open a few years ago. I don't remember ANYTHING that would've even REMOTELY resembled sharking. Of course, as Scott Lee says, I was watching the table. But I remember Karl was upset because I opened up by winning the lag and running the first 3 racks, he was frustrated with the cut break...but I didn't know that until the NEXT DAY because he was a total gentleman at the time and I only overheard him talking to his friend much later about how frustrating it was to travel across the world and be eliminated by a dead wing ball. Which is probably the only reason I was able to snipe him that match.

All in all, not saying he's perfect, but he's not a shark, and while he is passionate about his beliefs on the break, he's no Earl Strickland. I actually like Karl, and admire the hell out of his game.

djyadj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I'm lined up to my opponent's shot, esp if they're staring right at me past the pocket...I don't even make eye contact. I look down or away, and look back after the shot's complete (like Ralf in the chair). I certainly don't move or twitch a muscle, or lean my body halfway across his line of sight and blink out a SOS.

Pretty basic imo. It's called having manners, and not being a douchebag c*nt. Doesn't matter if my opponent is "sharkable," that's not relevant. It's about basic etiquette at the pool table and being a fkn gentleman.

Well said, couldn't agree more.
It's about decency, even though none of those moves would results intentional/unintentional sharking player any penalties. :wink:
Basically, don't do what you wouldn't want your opponents to do while your shooting.:thumbup:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

djyadj:
Well said, couldn't agree more.
It's about decency, even though none of those moves would results intentional/unintentional sharking player any penalties. :wink:
Basically, don't do what you wouldn't want your opponents to do while your shooting.:thumbup:
I agree. But to me this looked more like an oblivious doofus move than a deliberate shark move.

pj <- have never been wrong
chgo

HelloBaby-

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe Boyes took lessons from Efren.
https://youtu.be/KHtDjjjE2tg?t=1h4m46s

Or Orcullo
https://youtu.be/_hTrGm9V7qw?t=1h7m2s

If you take times on youtube you can find a lot more.

My point is, stop this BS, your idols sharked the hell out of his opponent and nobody said a word. The guy enforced the rule and you BSing about sportsmanship.
Pool in the US has never been a sport, it's a bar game where people tricked and cheated others for money, fame in pool come from your skill of tricking and cheating, they went crazy about those legendary "hustlers". So give me a break.

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whether the sharking works on you is a completely different subject. So stop with the "have a stronger mentality", "didn't bother us in the 70's" garbage. It's not the point.

The subject at hand is Boyes is attempting to shark other players. Not sure how you can defend someone who chooses to use these tactics.

HelloBaby-

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whether the sharking works on you is a completely different subject. So stop with the "have a stronger mentality", "didn't bother us in the 70's" garbage. It's not the point.
The subject at hand is Boyes is attempting to shark other players. Not sure how you can defend someone who chooses to use these tactics.
I don't think anybody would try to defend him, but I don't think he needs to defend himself, either.
He just learned from others and did what they did. they all sharks each other.
He can choose the noble way of not doing so or the "normal pool player way" of put that move in his arsenal so he would not at a disadvantage. He plays pool for a living anyway. Do people trick and cheat others in their daily jobs? hell yeah, especially in this country.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
You can only shark yourself. These are supposedly professional players, and should be able to "block out" any distractions. If they can't do that, then they are not very good professionals, imo. In the 'old days' (1950s-1970s) people sharked all the time. It never bothered the real players...it should be the same with today's players. :rolleyes:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

They didn't have Starbucks, The Internet, Therapy, Same-Sex Marriage, or Legal Marijuana back then either. Todays players should be able to focus beyond all the distractions but some can't. The world has changed, not always for the better.

BrianaBrown13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So in the mind of the shooter, you have to decide if the distraction is going to bother you or not. Some just dismiss it and go on with their shot, some will stand back up, re-focus and go back to the shoot at hand, and some will use the distraction as the excuse. Boyers may not even realize that he is leaning or being a distraction. He might, but might not, unless called on it no one will ever know. Etiquette in pool is much different than golf,...................Quite please, attention. no one move now...........Earl is about to putt in the 9 ball.

BogeyFree

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw no serious attempt at sharking in any of the linked videos. If anything in the vids caused his opponents to miss the shot then they need to focus more and look for another excuse for why they missed. And furthermore if Boyes called a foul on his opponent for the cue ball rolling and touching his cue then so be it. It's a foul.

Last edited:

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
WOW! That Efren move against Niels was "stronger than cat piss". Is no one without sin? :nono:

JoeyA

Maybe Boyes took lessons from Efren.
https://youtu.be/KHtDjjjE2tg?t=1h4m46s

Or Orcullo
https://youtu.be/_hTrGm9V7qw?t=1h7m2s

If you take times on youtube you can find a lot more.

My point is, stop this BS, your idols sharked the hell out of his opponent and nobody said a word. The guy enforced the rule and you BSing about sportsmanship.
Pool in the US has never been a sport, it's a bar game where people tricked and cheated others for money, fame in pool come from your skill of tricking and cheating, they went crazy about those legendary "hustlers". So give me a break.

benjaminwah

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This thread’s from twenty oh fifteen so a lot of the link don’t work. Which one you talkin?

The Full contact pool link works still : )

The video of Boyes fiddling with his cue case while his opponent is shooting.

If there is a working video of it in this thread please copy and paste it, I looked and didn’t see a working one.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Many websites these days have a "search" function that allows you to find things by key words. :thumbup: You all must be a bunch of boomers if you don't know how to use those. Poor boomers.:p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_SRMbVMLoc

Personally, I don't think Karl was sharking at 7:15. I think he was just worried about being ready to shoot and he was trying to find something. You may see it differently.